Mystery message in Pickup Cavity - Can Anybody help solve it?

Il Bassista

Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm hoping that somebody can shed some light on a bit of a mystery regarding a note in the pickup cavity of my old 1986 Custom 24.

I have had the guitar since 1990 and never looked under the pickups but yesterday during a restring and clean I thought I would.

Under the bridge pickup I found the serial number 6**** and the colour, Scarlet Sunburst. I more or less expected that, but under the neck pickup I discovered what looks like a piece of tape has been placed over the bottom of the cavity and the word "LOOK" has been written on the tape, with what appears to be an arrow pointing to underneath the tape.

The cavity has been finished in a clear lacquer so the tape is well and truly sealed down. I did put a pick under one side of the tape but I think if I were to lift it, it would not only obviously crack the lacquer (as you'd expect it to) but it may also destroy the tape. I decided to leave it alone and ask if anyone has any idea what might be under there. There is clearly something else under the tape as I can see it poking out a little.

In the bridge pickup cavity along with the serial number and colour are the initials "MM" if that is any help.

I don't think I'm allowed to add any pics as a newby so sorry about that but any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to leave it intact.

Thanks.

Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm hoping that somebody can shed some light on a bit of a mystery regarding a note in the pickup cavity of my old 1986 Custom 24.

I have had the guitar since 1990 and never looked under the pickups but yesterday during a restring and clean I thought I would.

Under the bridge pickup I found the serial number 6**** and the colour, Scarlet Sunburst. I more or less expected that, but under the neck pickup I discovered what looks like a piece of tape has been placed over the bottom of the cavity and the word "LOOK" has been written on the tape, with what appears to be an arrow pointing to underneath the tape.

The cavity has been finished in a clear lacquer so the tape is well and truly sealed down. I did put a pick under one side of the tape but I think if I were to lift it, it would not only obviously crack the lacquer (as you'd expect it to) but it may also destroy the tape. I decided to leave it alone and ask if anyone has any idea what might be under there. There is clearly something else under the tape as I can see it poking out a little.

In the bridge pickup cavity along with the serial number and colour are the initials "MM" if that is any help.

I don't think I'm allowed to add any pics as a newby so sorry about that but any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to leave it intact.

Thanks.

Well now I'm curious....

Hi All,

Thanks.
You’ll be able to post pics after a few posts, three I think. You’ll have to use a hosting service, such as Imgur.

I don’t have a clue to offer, but I’m looking forward to hearing from others.

giphy.gif

I have 'TOUCH' and 'SMELL' so all five senses are covered. o_O

JK, I have nothing. :oops:

Hi All,

Thanks.
i think that’s where the winning lottery numbers are written.

I recently looked through mine to try and find out interesting tidbits of information. I think the building process must have been even less standardized in the early days (no MODCAT barcode stickers then!). For the most part, I saw dates and initials penciled directly on the wood, along with neck carves, color, fretboard material and serial numbers. Only my Custom had a sticker, probably because the cavity is finished dark purple and writing would not show. There's a date (3/20) and initials JW. I'll venture a guess that MM left a note for someone else to inspect a certain detail around the pickup cavity?

I don’t think the tape is adding any value to the guitar. Score the finish on the edges of the tape and see if it comes up easily. If it is still stuck to the wood, add a little heat and try to peel it up. Film the reveal and post it on YouTube so we can all participate. Get Geraldo to help if you want to add some mystery and drama.

Back