My Super Dallas can beat up your DG30

You guys are all working way to hard at this.

Tell you what....

Just send me your amps and I'll let you know which one is best. ;)

Boogie!

Nice tones, nice playing, brother! Sounds mean, raw and tight, just right for the music.

And despite pedals and amp, I could still hear the guitar itself coming through. So...yeah. I dig!

Big thumbs up!

Last edited:
So now we are cooking with GAS....;)

That was a "my father who was born in 1916" saying. I guess they must've cooked with a wood stove before that, huh?

Anyway, this is getting to be a lot of fun! Tonight I started writing a new piece, but it turned into a techno synth thing, and you guys will hate it, plus there are no guitars on it yet.

So I'm going to re-work the Americana piece I posted the other day - it has some potential methinks.

Ok, okay, okay...here it comes. Back up 'cause SuperD needs some space. (man, all this chopping and splicing took a bunch of time and it STILL sounds like crap, but it's MY crap, so there!)

EDIT in progress...

Sorry guys, this is nothing but pedals.

Background: this is the new project I've been working on with 3 other guys. these clips are from practice last week...tons of clams, F-ups, timing issues, you name it. The mic placement is CRAP, the mics are CRAP, but Murray the bassist mixes them up about as well as can be. We use them for internal practice, only. Buyer beware. Oh, and there's another instrument missing from all recordings since he was a no-show that day.

Gear: PRS Super Dallas, PRS Custom 24, and magic mojo pedals.

King Pin
Chase the Villain
Face Melter
Jam
Mush Mouth
Kill the Rat

I dig it! I opened all of them at once in separate windows, so I don't recall what was what. But, I think Face Melter reminded me of Rush as did Jam (maybe). Good stuff!

Really, really liked the palm muted rhythms in Mush Mouth!
Thank you very much! It's a truly fun tune to play.

This is why I don't like making comparisons...case in point:

Les' two clips on the first page are buffed to a polish not unlike that of his HotG's Private Stock nitro finish. Elegant. Classy. Refined. Detailed. Totally pro. There is absolutely nothing in my archives that have that level of quality. Comparing his works to mine is like comparing two cheeses...a nice ripened mushroom brie and, say, olive oil and thyme asiago. OK, maybe I'm more like a block of government cheese to his brie, but you get the picture. Two different tastes, smells and consistencies. But it actually makes the point of the OP <-me.

There's no need to compare. These are individual examples of success and complete customer satisfaction with PRS amps.

I will also say, normally, my clips would not have that much gain. My gigs these days are with a country cover band and the grind is much lower than the above. That would be closer to the work Les presented and a better example of the Super Dallas vs. DG30.

Aristotle has already posted numerous high quality demos of his beautiful gear. But a live clip would be very cool.

Last edited:
You guys are all working way to hard at this.

Tell you what....

Just send me your amps and I'll let you know which one is best. ;)

Yes, Rob and I will be happy to supply our opinions after receiving your amps. We will even pay shipping.

Tonight I realized that my hand isn't going to get better, and I'm gradually losing the ability to play. So soon I'll be a civilian and not a musician.

I'm trying to get all the playing in that I can before that happens, but it's approaching with alarming speed.

The irony? I just got the perfect guitar, and my rig has never sounded this good.

Such, my friends, are the vicissitudes of life. ;)

Keep in mind that my example clips are not what most people would think are characteristic of PRS' Dallas product line. Granted, the Super Dallas is EL34 based (the power stage of the HXDA, among others) but I think most people that are familiar with these amps tend to pigeon hole them as a clean or country-centric amp. If that's what you thought, listen to my clips and you might think differently. Don't get me wrong, the SuperD does the clean thing beautifully and punchy crunch like no one's business (Listen to David Grissom's Way Down Deep release, Skimming the Surface in particular). Clean clips will follow at some time. A good amp sounds good in it's intended element. A great amp sounds great regardless of how you apply it. These are great amps, the SuperD, the DG30/50, HXDA, MDT, et al.

A good amp sounds good in it's intended element. A great amp sounds great regardless of how you apply it. These are great amps, the SuperD, the DG30/50, HXDA, MDT, et al.

Exactly. Which is why in today's LA and Nashville sessions, people show up with more than a Fender or Marshall amp. You see everything -- as long as it sounds good, it IS good. ;)

Unfortunately they stopped making the Super Dallas, and that's one reason why I don't have one.

A PRS dealer recently made me an offer to buy one that was difficult to turn down but I did. The simplest, watered down crude description of the Super Dallas is "a super clean sounding amp which requires pedals to get different tones". My guess as to why they don't make the Super Dallas anymore is because they make the Archon now. Yes, it is known as a high gain amp BUT THE ARCHON ALSO HAS A SUPER CLEAN CHANEL OF IMPECCABLE MUSICAL QUALITY. So I realized that since I already owned an Archon, I could simply use the clean channel it came with and then run a bunch of pedals into it in order to accomplish the same thing. Super Dallas= Super Clean only versus the Archon= Super Clean plus Super Modern Distortion in the same amp. No Need to duplicate efforts by having both an Archon and a Super Dallas, so I didn't buy it. (I also didn't want the weight of a 4x10 combo but that's another story.)

A PRS dealer recently made me an offer to buy one that was difficult to turn down but I did. The simplest, watered down crude description of the Super Dallas is "a super clean sounding amp which requires pedals to get different tones". My guess as to why they don't make the Super Dallas anymore is because they make the Archon now. Yes, it is known as a high gain amp BUT THE ARCHON ALSO HAS A SUPER CLEAN CHANEL OF IMPECCABLE MUSICAL QUALITY. So I realized that since I already owned an Archon, I could simply use the clean channel it came with and then run a bunch of pedals into it in order to accomplish the same thing. Super Dallas= Super Clean only versus the Archon= Super Clean plus Super Modern Distortion in the same amp. No Need to duplicate efforts by having both an Archon and a Super Dallas, so I didn't buy it. (I also didn't want the weight of a 4x10 combo but that's another story.)

I get that, and I've heard that players love the Archon for its cleans, that I also think are very good.

But a Super Dallas can also be overdriven on its own, as I understand it, and I like single channel amps. ;)

Back