My Super Dallas can beat up your DG30

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
:p Ha ha, made you look!

Les has slathered so much DG30 and HXDA love around this section, I thought it was high time I spread some to the under appreciated, original custom specialty artist amp from PRS...the Super Dallas. When it was time for me to look for a new amp, it was a tough process of looking at everything from Mesa/Boogie, Bogner, Friedman, Marshall, 65 Amps, and various other specialty and custom builders. It was after a particularly insightful talk with David Grissom at Experience, after one of his clinics, that I took a long hard look at the Super Dallas (his personal fav amp at the time). Ever since taking the leap, I've been surprised, delighted, stunned, and giddy at every turn. Each new experience with this amp has proven my decision to be the right one for me.

My music work involves mostly cover bands...classic rock, country, vintage rock ('50s/'60s), prog rock, etc. My pedalboard has taken a few years to get to my current level of perfection, so having an amp that melds well with them has been essential. The SuperD is the most stable pedal platform I've found. Period. And for these types of music, it has worked flawlessly with both my PRSi and non PRS guitars. Hopping genre from one week to the other has been simple. And despite trying to go back to my old girlfriend several times (my old Boogie MkIII), I come running back.

Here's why: that 3D, almost hi-if quality that blends with pedals to produce the most addictive tone I've experienced. HUGE bass, if I let it take over, but a controllable midrange and the most musical high end I've experienced. Even thru a 1x12 cab, everyone in the room instantly takes notice. I've never had so many compliments on my sound. Hell, I've never paid my own gear this many compliments! There's a quality that eludes description, but every player that's experienced it knows exactly what I mean. It's mojo.

While I appreciate and respect Les' beloved HXDA (there may be one in my future, some day) and DG30, there are other PRS CAD models that got where they did for a damned good reason. The Super Dallas has been on stage with some really big artists that I respect, but she's been on stage with me for a couple hundred shows without a single disappointment. With a new original material project moving forward for me, I'm confident that I can carve a new identity for me as a musician with this amp and the rest of this rig. That's what great gear brings to the game. And the Super Dallas is the best gear decision I've ever made. May you all find something that inspires as much as the Super Dallas does me.

Congrats Boogie :)
I to find my PRS amp ( 2 channel H ) pushing my old faithful ( MKII ) more and more aside these days

The Super Dallas is a great amp. I have nothing negative to say about it, at all. I listened to the clips and really liked what I heard. Plus, as you know, I'm a big fan of 50 Watt PRS amps.

I like the DG30, and the HXDA tons and tons. Unfortunately they stopped making the Super Dallas, and that's one reason why I don't have one. But there's the DG50. And down the road, that's an amp I'd like to have if they're still making it by the time I can get something new for the studio.

There are only two things that'll keep me from owning more PRS amps: if my hand gets worse, and/or if the work dries up. That's it.

Man I remember the fun and exciting drama that unfolded as you wound your way through the veritable cornucopia of corky awesomeness. Most and/or many would have been happy to have almost anything you tried/considered. All high end and quality choices to be sure.
The fact that you decided on the SD is a testament to your selection process, congrats to you sir.
And Mr. Sewell, take a bow... You knocked another one out of the park!

Lol! Yeah, Dave, I was lucky to find what I did, when I did. The only difficult part of PRS amps, and especially CAD amps, is availability. Had mine not appeared on the used market, things may have turned out differently. (honestly, if I hadn't found the Super Dallas, I'd probably picked up an HXDA)

It's funny how that happens. I suppose that we shouldn't be surprised that when we go on an adventure we just might find that new and interesting thing that fits just right.

I still think you should spring for a nice, new HXDA, Mr. Boogie Man.

Help the amp guys at PRS out! It does them no good if you buy used! ;)

I still think you should spring for a nice, new HXDA, Mr. Boogie Man.

Help the amp guys at PRS out! It does them no good if you buy used! ;)
I had full intentions of buying a new Super Dallas, but when I found none on the market, and a used one popped up from a noted artists' time capsule, my fate was sealed. But I will sound the trumpet in support of the PRS amp department all day long, because, dammit, they're good people.

Boogie's amp sounds fantastic with or without his pedal board.
I've listened to quite a few guitars and I don't remember how many players through it.
You're very kind, Mr. Pete. I must admit, hearing CRGTR's Klon shootout through my rig confirmed that I'd made the right choice.

Let's hear from others with crazy-good results with their PRS amps. I know Les and I aren't the only ones...

Well, my MDT can beat up your Dallas ;) And it can beat up Les' DG30 ;)

Kidding aside, it's like saying that my Land Rover can beat up your Tesla.... I love my DG30. I love my HX/DA. Haven't had the pleasure to play through a Super Dallas. But the MDT is a really special amp....

eating-popcorn-reaction-gif.gif

AUDIO RUMBLE!

OK, here are the rules:

1. NO RULES, It's an audio rumble!

We want a good clean rumble, by that we mean that cheating is encouraged up to and including half space and quarter space bass reinforcement.

2. NO PEDALS. OK, one rule. We want to hear the amps, not your $1K über-pedal.

AUDIO RUMBLE!
Perhaps Aristotle would host.
You could have a heck of a rumble with just his kit.

Not sure about the no pedals though. Easier for me because I don't use them, but I'm actually quite interested in what the best result people can get is, regardless of what they do to get their. In my fantasy world there might be an amp only class and an all's fair class.

Perhaps Aristotle would host.
You could have a heck of a rumble with just his kit.

Not sure about the no pedals though. Easier for me because I don't use them, but I'm actually quite interested in what the best result people can get is, regardless of what they do to get their. In my fantasy world there might be an amp only class and an all's fair class.

Boogie's initial taunt would seem to make it an amp-only challenge, but I can dig that. Stock class and unlimited class...

Back