My own PS Friday

WA Paul

All dogs go to heaven
Just finished picking out the woods for my own (first) build! Thanks to James (Guitar Store Seattle), Tina and Shawn for their help and sage advice! While I couldn't be there in person, the real-time conversation was quite helpful. Also helpful was reading this forum for 4 years and learning from everyone else's experiences! PRSh even stopped by for a quick hello and review. I kept debating about South American hog versus African. Paul and Tina convinced me it wouldn't matter. With my herniated disc, weight is critical so why mess around?!

Build will be a P245 Trem with Pattern Vintage neck carve. Light weight with target weight no more than 8lbs!

Here's the eye candy:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Braz neck & board, Braz pickup rings, tuners, knobs. Old school blue paua birds with MOP outlines, matching quilt on headstock. Curly maple binding neck & headstock. Paua purfling on neck & headstock. Matching hog back plates. Gen III trem & tuners. Hybrid hardware. Regular 58/15 brushed nickel pickups. May add a second set of pickups too. I love 57/08s, but 59/09s in Steve's ME SCT I just picked up sound epic. Piezo because, hey, why not?

And the Color...sorry Sergio, Ocean Mist Glow - I'm all about that tropical water and Aloha feel! From Wilcutt's earlier build

image.png

image.png

I was on the fence about a stinger on the back of the neck, but was talked out of it. Hog neck would have worked better with HG Nitro finish. Braz neck = no nitro! Headstock will match the color of the top.

Super excited about this! Now just need to wait like 9 months...

Anyone interested in some of my other PS? This was such fun, I already want to do a second one! Trades might be in my future. I'm officially addicted to SCT after acquiring that ME SCT.

Happy Friday everyone!

Funny, was just saving some more pics from Willcutt on the Ocean Mist Glow top - Tina wants me to print it out and verify we're all working off the same expectation of the colors. I picked a 'whiter' top to get the blues to turn out closer to this one. When saving the file, I used the first letter of each word in the color name "OMG" - somehow appropriate! For you fellow blue fans, it has a positive reference. For those on the other side of the (color) spectrum, it is also fitting! ;) I should mention I'm only working on a few hours sleep and as a sign of the apocalypse, it snowed today (unusual for the Seattle area!).

Congrats, Paul! Totally get the feeling - my PS build was a long-time dream, and as soon as we finished the paperwork in the vault, I looked around and wanted to start the process again.

Congrats, Paul! Totally get the feeling - my PS build was a long-time dream, and as soon as we finished the paperwork in the vault, I looked around and wanted to start the process again.
Thanks Alan - I was really freaking out a week ago in trying to decide the specs - until I accepted the fact that I really wanted to build two!

Weird! Let me try again - I use Post Image for pics - anyone else having problems with Post Image?

Thanks Alan - I was really freaking out a week ago in trying to decide the specs - until I accepted the fact that I really wanted to build two!

Ha! My specs changed in the vault. I KNEW I was getting an East Indian Rosewood neck. It ended up being Honduran Rosewood. Tina and Paul both made excellent suggestions to alter the build a bit.

My panic attack came two days before. My buddy and I had gone to a concert in Philly (about 5.5 hours) on Sunday and were driving back Monday afternoon. I was leaving for the factory on Tuesday for a Wednesday build. He was driving and I was checking e-mail and I saw a note from Brian. "Did we talk about cases?" Well, no - I knew there was a PS case, the paisley, and a few other options. He sent me links to the options. I did the math in my head - something like 6000+ combinations! I got it down to a few choicest, and Tina helped finalize it. So all good in the end!

I've emailed post image - none of my pics are showing up on their web site now, but the folders and file names are there. Keeps saying bad certificate or expired certificate. Didn't do that an hour ago!

Sorry for the extra suspense!

Ha! My specs changed in the vault. I KNEW I was getting an East Indian Rosewood neck. It ended up being Honduran Rosewood. Tina and Paul both made excellent suggestions to alter the build a bit.

My panic attack came two days before. My buddy and I had gone to a concert in Philly (about 5.5 hours) on Sunday and were driving back Monday afternoon. I was leaving for the factory on Tuesday for a Wednesday build. He was driving and I was checking e-mail and I saw a note from Brian. "Did we talk about cases?" Well, no - I knew there was a PS case, the paisley, and a few other options. He sent me links to the options. I did the math in my head - something like 6000+ combinations! I got it down to a few choicest, and Tina helped finalize it. So all good in the end!
We didn't even get to cases today! Oh man...

We didn't even get to cases today! Oh man...
Hey? What's that smell? Never mind it's just Pauls hair...try to remain calm so that you don't have a stroke while you're in the plant...it would really slow production....just kidding really stoked for you! That's gotta be so cool! Don't let Sergio...or my wife anywhere near it...just sayin...don't say I didn't warn you:eek:

Stoked for your build! Congrats, man! Even more stoked to see the pics, at some point :D

Hey? What's that smell? Never mind it's just Pauls hair...try to remain calm so that you don't have a stroke while you're in the plant...it would really slow production....just kidding really stoked for you! That's gotta be so cool! Don't let Sergio...or my wife anywhere near it...just sayin...don't say I didn't warn you:eek:
Thanks! Didn't get to go to the factory, so my nose is there in spirit :)

WOW! That top!!!!!!!! :eek::eek: Unbelievable!!! Congrats on that. Another new "all time best" top!!!!

WOW! That top!!!!!!!! :eek::eek: Unbelievable!!! Congrats on that. Another new "all time best" top!!!!
Thanks! I guess that answers whether you an see the pics now!

Choosing among 7 tops was more difficult than I was expecting! Tina and James thought this was the best for what I was shooting for (Brent Moss style 'tubular' top) plus the color combo and after squinting at my computer screen for all of 5 minutes I agreed with them. In general my default was to follow their recommendations since 1) they're experts! 2) they've done this before and 3) they were actually in the room and I wasn't! One day I'll get there!

Back