My Metal McCarty (The Sequel)

Justcantshred

I am taking another run at creating my ideal PRS for Metal! This time with a 2020 McCarty I picked up for a good deal at Brians Guitars. It's already in the shop to get some Bareknuckle Silos put in, and set up for Drop C with 11-56 NYXLs.

I tried this before with an S2 594 but just didn't bond with the guitar, realized if I was going to do it, I needed a Core.

Still considering getting a Tremonti at some point as well, but have yet to find one that has hooked me in. Pics below!

HFdrtQ8.jpg

p9nHLQl.jpg

Last edited:
I am taking another run at creating my ideal PRS for Metal! This time with a 2020 McCarty I picked up for a good deal at Brians Guitars. It's already in the shop to get some Bareknuckle Silos put in, and set up for Drop C with 11-56 NYXLs.

I tried this before with an S2 594 but just didn't bond with the guitar, realized if I was going to do it, I needed a Core.

Still considering getting a Tremonti at some point as well, but have yet to find one that has hooked me in. Pics below!

HFdrtQ8.jpg

p9nHLQl.jpg
Very familiar story and congrats on that beauty!
ALL of my PRS are made for metal. From my first CE24 I bought new in 1994, right up to the 06 Singlecut Standard that I picked up a few months ago. You haven’t lived until you’ve played some thrash on a Hollowbody Spruce.;):D

Pickups are on the wrong side of the strings, hee hee.

What a gorgeous axe, I want a McCarty!
Not for long! I tried a PS McCarty and it was so great that I knew I wanted one, and with the hard tail it seemed like the best choice for this project.

Very familiar story and congrats on that beauty!
ALL of my PRS are made for metal. From my first CE24 I bought new in 1994, right up to the 06 Singlecut Standard that I picked up a few months ago. You haven’t lived until you’ve played some thrash on a Hollowbody Spruce.;):D

True that, my 594s do great in Drop D as does my Paul's Guitar. So versatile. Was a little skeptical about them handling Drop C without some immense string gauge so I knew I needed another one with a 25" scale.

I’ve thought about metalling out my McCarty, but I like it so much stock that I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it.

Recently, I’ve been thinking about getting a second McCarty… or maybe a Cu22… or a 24… so indecisive…

I’ve used McCarty standards in drop C for many years. They do a fantastic job with the adjustable stoptail and a hotter set of pickups! Congrats and have fun!

Yes sir. My go to rig when I was doing the metalcore/thrash thing was a trans black 2004 McCarty tuned to drop C with a Seymour Duncan Custom shop S-Deco (A8 magnet, 2 rows allen screws) in the bridge through a VHT Pittbull Ultra-lead. Simple, rock solid, super tight and crushing. I have thought about getting another McCarty and putting some \m/ pickups in it for another "metal" McCarty. My 2015 has the 58/15's in it and I am not touching that guitar as it is perfection!

Back