My little dilemma

g.wizz

Nabs
Hi Guys

I'm a guy who likes to be prepared beforehand because I don't like nasty surprises.

When I specked my AP 513 I wanted initially a solid BRW neck mainly for the darker color and more smoothness than the IRW neck ( as was described mainly here many times) so I went with the IRW ( which came darker than I expected YAY) and very smooth but I opted for an Ebony fret board because I had a special CU22 with one and I loved the smoothness of it and the brightness that it imparts on the sound, so I wasn't disappointed after nearly a 4 months wait.

Now, here's my dilemma...I'm planning to get another PRS this year (If the stars aligned properly) but it might be an AP or from the production line if a specific top hit my fancy came with the model I decide on, but what if it had a Brazilian fret board? I want to ship it to my country (no problem passing it through Customs here) but I know It's a NO NO to get it out of the States without the proper papers ( which I know they are a must for a solid BRW neck), but since the hang tag doesn't specify the fret board wood how can the Customs guys discern that it is in fact Brazilian and not some other type of wood? also, there is no spec sheet that specifies the species of wood.

So anyone has done it and shipped a guitar with Brazilian board outside the US?

Your expert advice is highly regarded

Sorry for the long read.

But: Lets spotlight the 513 RW (2004-2007). These guitars have been sold all over the world. Brazzy neck. Even in Germany. WITHOUT any CITES papers.
At that certain time Germany had its own national distributor (Meinl). A 513 RW has been reviewed with those specs in German magazine Gitarre & Bass by Dave Burrluck (well known as the author of the PRS books).
I recommend to take care of legal aspects with these endangered woods.
Yes, I admit that Brazzy has this kind of smooth feeling, but tonally I´ve heard no difference to mine with a mahogani neck that I would state: OHHH, YESSS!

Even with AP you´ll have more options to select from, and you´re not limited to the wooden perspective due that fact you´re not heading for an additional 513.
You can chose different PUs as well.

What would be your model for g.wizz-personalization, @g.wizz?

Well my friend I'm still undecided at the moment I have yet to try a SC to see if I'll include it in my consideration
there's the DGT or possibly a Ted McCarty DC 245 or even the awesome new 594 if my budget allowed
just to complement my 513 sounds.
IIRC there are many older models with Brazilian boards not designated 'made for use in USA only' and then If I buy
one of them do I need legal papers to bring it home? will they know it's has a Brazilian board?

You never know how proper they´ll check and compare. Fact is customs officers have to take care of a bunch of suspected articles. Guitars/instruments are only one part.
And: Maybe they won´t cross-check one-on-one but only samples or goods which are more obvious or attractive.
But on the other hand side, the devil comes in the shape of a squirrel, that certain day your Brazzy outfitted PRS is expected to be shipped to you the customs officers in the US or elsewhere were assisted by
experts of guitars (and woods) your guitar will be caught without papers, than you would have lost money and being pressed charges by violated legal orders.

You never know how proper they´ll check and compare. Fact is customs officers have to take care of a bunch of suspected articles. Guitars/instruments are only one part.
And: Maybe they won´t cross-check one-on-one but only samples or goods which are more obvious or attractive.
But on the other hand side, the devil comes in the shape of a squirrel, that certain day your Brazzy outfitted PRS is expected to be shipped to you the customs officers in the US or elsewhere were assisted by
experts of guitars (and woods) your guitar will be caught without papers, than you would have lost money and being pressed charges by violated legal orders.

That is a valid point, and I guess a wood expert will spot a Brazilian fancy board a mile away ( or will he actually sniff it? ;))

IIRC there are many older models with Brazilian boards not designated 'made for use in USA only' and then If I buy
one of them do I need legal papers to bring it home? will they know it's has a Brazilian board?
yes, you are right about older guitars with Braz bits, and I have some.
But PRS has become very careful about their exposure and you are not likely to have much luck finding something that isn't either marked US only or have the right paperwork when it is delivered to an international dealer. This has been the case for a few years.
Personally, I would not try to import any Brazilian hoping that customs wouldn't notice - I just wouldn't want it rejected, or worse.

Edit: adding a missing not which changes what I said considerably.

Last edited:
In the UK, guitars with higher declared values tend to get more scrutiny at the border than lower ones.

I think a caution is needed here. This forum is not the place to condone, encourage or even give suggestions about how to skirt import/export laws or fool customs officials.

The ONLY correct response here is: take care to ship or receive only guitars that have the proper paperwork.

If you don't have the paperwork, get it or don't ship.

I think a caution is needed here. This forum is not the place to condone, encourage or even give suggestions about how to skirt import/export laws or fool customs officials.

The ONLY correct response here is: take care to ship or receive only guitars that have the proper paperwork.

If you don't have the paperwork, get it or don't ship.

And that's exactly why I post asking what to do, because I don't want to buy online not aware that I need papers even for old guitars that has a Brazilian board and I thank all of you guys for pointing that out to me, and certainly my aim was not to break the laws because in the end I'm the one who will be losing the guitar and hurting his wallet.

Hold on if it says made for Japan only, can I not go to Japan and bring it back to the USA?

All you need to do to know the answer to this is consult with an import/export lawyer in the US, and his/her counterpart in Japan, have them research the CITES treaty and the associated laws pertaining to Japan and the US, and how the laws are applied in both countries.

Just to be on the safe side, have them clear the purchase in advance with the authorities in both countries, and make sure that you have the appropriate paperwork to get through both borders.

No big deal, right? ;)

All you need to do to know the answer to this is consult with an import/export lawyer in the US, and his/her counterpart in Japan, have them research the CITES treaty and the associated laws pertaining to Japan and the US, and how the laws are applied in both countries.

Just to be on the safe side, have them clear the purchase in advance with the authorities in both countries, and make sure that you have the appropriate paperwork to get through both borders.

No big deal, right? ;)

Can't you just wrap it in tape and make it look like something else?

Kinda like Chinese food wrapped up in foil in a form of a swan..

Can't you just wrap it in tape and make it look like something else?

Kinda like Chinese food wrapped up in foil in a form of a swan..

You could do that.

Doesn't mean you wouldn't wind up doing 3-5 in a hotel for men with special rooms, where everyone wears the same jumpsuits and eats the same food, and has a job making license plates, though.

Back