My journey has begun!

They approve every build request. It went through three people for approval. The 594 DC body is thicker than the CU22 body. It also sets the stage for the bulk of the options with the guitar such as control layout and neck carve. You can make changes from there.

Here are some things I asked about that were no go items.
Stainless Steel Frets
57/08 pickups wound on the hotter side
Covered 59/09 pickups
Santana headstock
Specific value of resistors in the tap circuit
West St. Dragon on the top like the West St. Limited
I wonder how much of a backlog they’re working through that is limiting these choices. My Nov 2017 P245T build has covered 59/09s and a PV neck carve when the model standard is Pattern.

To me, that's a strange no-go from PRS. Did they give you any reason why they wouldn't do SS frets? Maybe if you tell PRS that you're really Joe Walsh, they'll give the go-ahead ;)
When I asked I qualified the questions with "since they have done a couple of runs with them" and was told that Paul doesn't like the sound of them so they don't offer them. I am not as famous as Joe or John so I don't have enough pull to make it happen.

I wonder how much of a backlog they’re working through that is limiting these choices. My Nov 2017 P245T build has covered 59/09s and a PV neck carve when the model standard is Pattern.
This isn't affected by the backlog. I could have changed the neck carve. I was actually debating between the Pattern Vintage and Patter. I decided to stay with the Pattern Vintage since it is getting binding made of wood instead of plastic. I think that is one of the biggest feel differences I notice for me.

They can't do the covered 59/09 anymore because they changed the pickup this year to use the square bobbins. They can only cover pickups that use the old standard rounded bobbins.

Man...I hope they have the most bitchin' piece of quilt maple when you go to the vault.
From what I have been told, they don't always have the one piece tops available because it is the hardest piece of wood for them to get in a private stock level of figuring. They like to know when these ones are coming so they can try to hold on to a few for you to choose from. Hopefully they will have a few when I am there or I may have to switch to a two piece top.

This isn't affected by the backlog. I could have changed the neck carve. I was actually debating between the Pattern Vintage and Patter. I decided to stay with the Pattern Vintage since it is getting binding made of wood instead of plastic. I think that is one of the biggest feel differences I notice for me.

They can't do the covered 59/09 anymore because they changed the pickup this year to use the square bobbins. They can only cover pickups that use the old standard rounded bobbins.
Makes sense. I prefer wood binding on necks as well for the same reason. I’d rather skip binding entirely than have plastic binding.

From what I have been told, they don't always have the one piece tops available because it is the hardest piece of wood for them to get in a private stock level of figuring. They like to know when these ones are coming so they can try to hold on to a few for you to choose from. Hopefully they will have a few when I am there or I may have to switch to a two piece top.
I was wondering how much selection would be available, considering it's a one-piece top...

Like I said, I hope they have something that knocks your socks off. When is that happening?

I know the options since I went through the process. I have a bunch of them written down. They made some changes this year on what is available.

I don't mind the questions at all. That is part of the reason I started this thread. I think it is a good thing to share these experiences. I know I have enjoyed reading these types of posts over the years.

Hopefully there are no issues with me sharing this image. I got this link from going through the spec process. This is the finish and this one has the 20th anniversary birds like I am getting too.

Hi Chihuahua ❤️

The only surprise to me on the rejection list is the Santana headstock. Everything else would be a deviation from the normal production routine for the affected areas, which they weren't doing for a while (not sure what restrictions may have been lifted or added).

I don't think I could get a lot of what I got on mine now - the finish is discontinued, the electronics are very non-standard, and I have inlays on the body.

The only surprise to me on the rejection list is the Santana headstock. Everything else would be a deviation from the normal production routine for the affected areas, which they weren't doing for a while (not sure what restrictions may have been lifted or added).

I don't think I could get a lot of what I got on mine now - the finish is discontinued, the electronics are very non-standard, and I have inlays on the body.
The issue with the headstock was something to do with royalties as well as it being for a signature model. I guess I will have to hang on to my Ted since that guitar can't be recreated now even through PS.

The issue with the headstock was something to do with royalties as well as it being for a signature model. I guess I will have to hang on to my Ted since that guitar can't be recreated now even through PS.

Makes sense. I was thinking more that it really only made a difference in which pile of necks you picked from, but I didn't think about the signature aspect of it.

I know the options since I went through the process. I have a bunch of them written down. They made some changes this year on what is available.

I don't mind the questions at all. That is part of the reason I started this thread. I think it is a good thing to share these experiences. I know I have enjoyed reading these types of posts over the years.

Hopefully there are no issues with me sharing this image. I got this link from going through the spec process. This is the finish and this one has the 20th anniversary birds like I am getting too.

Your guitar will be magnificent when it's done!

Love that color! Great choice.

Congrats! Glad you found a better dealer to work with you, as there is no compromising the experience a purchase this big. I'm on my way to my first PS build as well and just squared away a few spec requests that had to be confirmed this afternoon before making a commitment. Locked in a date to visit the factory in May and I feel like I should pinch myself. Looking forward to hearing about your journey as I start on my own!

Congrats! Glad you found a better dealer to work with you, as there is no compromising the experience a purchase this big. I'm on my way to my first PS build as well and just squared away a few spec requests that had to be confirmed this afternoon before making a commitment. Locked in a date to visit the factory in May and I feel like I should pinch myself. Looking forward to hearing about your journey as I start on my own!
Congrats! You should start another thread so we can follow your build!! Welcome to the forum!!!

Wow, not sure how you got a date in May. I was being told that the soonest I could probably get would be in August. I am now hearing it is going to be later in the year than than.

Wow, not sure how you got a date in May. I was being told that the soonest I could probably get would be in August. I am now hearing it is going to be later in the year than than.
Dealers usually have dates pre booked and if they have space can take you. You’re just talking to a different dealer.

Back