My First PRS

Also don't expect your amp settings for a Tele to be optimal for a PRS. I also play in a worship band at my church. I play an older CE and a boogie MKIV amp. it took me a few hours to dial in the amp settings that I liked. I generally play cleans on both humbuckers or just the neck, I do have the amp set pretty bright on the cleans. I also use the second channel right on the edge of breakup so on the neck pickup (Duncan Alnico II Pro) it is a sweet mellow clean and if I flip to the bridge (Duncan JB) it is an overdrive that can cut through the mix.

Thought it was time, since I have talked about it enough, to post up a picture of my new PRS SE Custom 24 Zebrawood.
EUIbhT8

I tried this and worked out really well. Plus I went from 9s to 10s and that helped a bunch too.
I had forgotten to mention that one of the reasons I keep my volume knob set there is that both my PRS guitars have Dragon II pickups in them which are a little hotter than what I actually need for what I play. (They are 12k and 8k respectively. I think only Dragon I, Tremonti, HFS and maybe 250s are wrapped that hot). So, I actually have a similar issue to you. What I do like about the pups that I have are that they clean up nicely for me when I roll the volume off.....BUT, if I want to blister the skin off of someone's face I can get there with just the volume on my guitar. Makes for more versatility than the Dragon IIs are usually given credit for. Going from single coil to humbuckers may be similar.

This is an awesome day but, it is also a sad day. The new PRS SE Custom 24 Zebrawood I just purchased started to have tuning problems and so I took it into the GC where I purhased it and they found 2 bad frets and some bridge problems. So, to make a long story short, they offered to order me another one. While I was there I found a 2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Rosewood that a guy was trading in on a new Martin accoustic. I asked to take a look at it and fell in love with it. They made me a great deal for $500 and they gave me a $100 gift card for my trouble. So, now, I have a new baby that I dearly love. But, I am sad cause I got attached to the Zebrawood. Here are some pictures of the new baby. https://imgur.com/vk6jFbI

WOW MAN!!!! I don't know. I think I like this top a little better. Has a lot of depth and character! (here is a little help on the pic as well)

vk6jFbI.jpg

I'm wanting to push the front end to get that Humbucker tone some, but still stay a little on the clean side.

We do have really low stage volume. Everything is run through the main board and the sound tech's control everything.

As a player of a Twin in venues of all sizes for many years, your two statements are a dichotomy. Pushing the front end of a Twin’s front end to bring it to life is never a low-volume scenario*. Unless the goal is fizz. You can’t coax the best out of the amp without pushing the master to >2. But if you ignore the overall volume issue, I really liked the EP Booster for pushing the front end. Loved it, in fact. Highly recommended for breaching life into almost any amp. Great, great pedal.

As a suggestion, consider trying a Tweed Twin or Bassman for your application. They will allow you to bump up your output stage without much - if any - volume/SPL increase. A booster on their preamps yields more varied and musical results at lower settings and works well with the guitar’s volume control. Push it thru a 1x12 cab to keep your stage volume contained. Otherwise, I’d push you toward a Kemper for the ultimate in volume and application flexibility. When you have complete control, it’s quite liberating!

Beautiful guitars! Good luck!

*except for a tweed Twin. The ‘50s designs breakup in a very musical and different way than the black or silver face versions.

Back