My first PRS - which one?

prs1979

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first PRS. Always been a Fender (and scarcely a Gibson) player but now I really want to own a PRS not just for the design (which I think it's fantastic) but also for the great sound/demos/reviews I listened/watched/read.

Anyway I cannot afford a USA PRS, so I guess the SE line will have to be my choice for now.

So what do you recommend? In terms of main preferences I would prefer a 24-1/2 scale lenght, the rest I'm lookng for opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance for all the input ;)

I'm looking to buy my first PRS. Always been a Fender (and scarcely a Gibson) player but now I really want to own a PRS not just for the design (which I think it's fantastic) but also for the great sound/demos/reviews I listened/watched/read.

Anyway I cannot afford a USA PRS, so I guess the SE line will have to be my choice for now.

So what do you recommend? In terms of main preferences I would prefer a 24-1/2 scale lenght, the rest I'm lookng for opinions and advice.

A 24.5" scale SE is going to be either an SE 245, a couple of 245 artist signature variants (Bernie Marsden and Zack Myers), or a Santana. The Bernie Marsden model in particular is a really great "vintage style" single-cutaway guitar with a to-die-for neck.

Last edited:
the se245 is A LOT of guitar for the money. The santana is also a 24.5" but is only 22 fret in the SE line. The santana does have a trem so you would be in that crossover zone with a g-style scale length and the f-style options. Both use the same humbuckers. The se245 will have a thicker body and more contours. Here's an idea... go used and buy both!

Oh and if you want wide/thin neck, single cut, 24.5 scale, and a trem the tremonti custom would also fit the bill... Soooo many combinations

Oh and if you want wide/thin neck, single cut, 24.5 scale, and a trem the tremonti custom would also fit the bill... Soooo many combinations

I thought the Tremonti Custom was a 25" scale?

In terms of doublecut's anything with 24-1/2 scale? I forgot to mention on first post but I would prefer doublecut...

PRS1979, what kind of tunes do you play?? What tones do you like?

I've made a similar gear journey, and MIGHT have some insight for you.

In terms of doublecut's anything with 24-1/2 scale? I forgot to mention on first post but I would prefer doublecut...

Yeah, I was thinking you might prefer a DC design, based on your familiarity with Fenders.

Any particular reason you want a 24.5" scale? Coming from Fenders, you should be used to something even longer than the PRS-standard 25" scale, since most Fenders are at 25.5".

If you are ok with a 25" scale, then the guitar-that-started-it-all, the CU24, is probably a good model to consider.

You might find the wide-then necks of the SE CU24 comfortable - I know I do. And they come with maple necks, something that should be familiar to your Fenders too. But if you want something a little thicker/meatier neck-wise, then maybe look at the SE Santana.

If you can spend a bit more and get something in the S2 line, then everything but the Starla is a double-cut design. And the neck shapes are a bit different: pattern regular on most (all?) of them.

PRS1979, what kind of tunes do you play?? What tones do you like?

I've made a similar gear journey, and MIGHT have some insight for you.

Classic Rock mainly. Pink Floyd, Queen, Guns, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin... these are just a few examples. I love that "Classic Rock" tone.

Yeah, I was thinking you might prefer a DC design, based on your familiarity with Fenders.

Any particular reason you want a 24.5" scale? Coming from Fenders, you should be used to something even longer than the PRS-standard 25" scale, since most Fenders are at 25.5".

If you are ok with a 25" scale, then the guitar-that-started-it-all, the CU24, is probably a good model to consider.

You might find the wide-then necks of the SE CU24 comfortable - I know I do. And they come with maple necks, something that should be familiar to your Fenders too. But if you want something a little thicker/meatier neck-wise, then maybe look at the SE Santana.

If you can spend a bit more and get something in the S2 line, then everything but the Starla is a double-cut design. And the neck shapes are a bit different: pattern regular on most (all?) of them.

One thing I prefered on the Gibsons was the fact that the strings had a much looser feel making bendings a bit more effortless. Of course I can cope with 25.5'' (playing Fender) but I always liked the "gibson feel".

The doublecut preference is mainly because I grew up watching some USA DC's PRS so I got that "itch" in getting this design. I found out later that PRS also made SC's. But that DC look always captivate me...

The SE Santana is the only current production 24.5" scale SE doublecut that I can find.

I recently bought a 2008 Mira and, used in nice shape, the cost was in the upper range of a new SE, so I think one may fall in your budget. It's a 25" scale, but the strings feel fairly loose and easy to play. I suspect it has a lot to do with the wrap around bridge (but probably also the entire design of the guitar), so I wouldn't discount scale lengths without trying them. I was surprised by how light the strings feel, anyway. However, the Mira pickups are fairly bright and snappy. I think PRS went for clarity with them rather than the huge 70s rock sound, but after being used to Fenders--as I am--you may like them.

So, in short, if you come across a used Mira give it a try. Of course I also think if you see a used McCarty, Swamp Ash Special or about anything else you should give it a try as well.

Classic Rock mainly. Pink Floyd, Queen, Guns, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin... these are just a few examples. I love that "Classic Rock" tone.

One thing I prefered on the Gibsons was the fact that the strings had a much looser feel making bendings a bit more effortless. Of course I can cope with 25.5'' (playing Fender) but I always liked the "gibson feel".

The doublecut preference is mainly because I grew up watching some USA DC's PRS so I got that "itch" in getting this design. I found out later that PRS also made SC's. But that DC look always captivate me...

My very humble advice would be to go with the SE Custom 24. I noticed a change for the looser on string tension with the switch from 25.5" to 25" scale, and I found it a little more comfortable higher up the neck than a 24.5" scale.

I play a bunch of my stuff clean, so it was a struggle to go to humbuckers until I totally changed the way I set up my rig. I don't think you'll have that problem with playing classic rock!

I too have always loved the doublecut PRS design - had 2 SE Customs for a while, still have one of them. One day I ran into a 24.5 singlecut (Akesson sig model) and it was to die for. My #1 SE by far, just sounds so good, a really fat, thick tone that would contrast with the Fender tone really well. The stock SE 245's are good, but the Bernie, Akesson, and ZM sig models are really where it's at when it comes to great guitars in the SE line.

I don't find much difference between 24.75, 25" and 25.5" . I actually prefer a 25.5" . Prs 25" is a great compromise imo .

I have the chance of getting a PRS SE Santana (Vintage Yellow) with birds locally for 600 EUR with Gator hardcase included.

Would you think it's a fair price? The guitar is as NEW.

Considering Thomann sells a new Santana for 899 EUR...it sounds great price wise. However, I'd check it out in person before you buy. There might be a reason why its priced so low.

Considering Thomann sells a new Santana for 899 EUR...it sounds great price wise. However, I'd check it out in person before you buy. There might be a reason why its priced so low.

The guitar is a 2011 model (L serial number). Any differences to the current model that I should be aware of?

Back