My first post and today, I righted a wrong!!!

Congrats on the SE245.
Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater, ...I mean that although after reading about SEs and hearing that almost everyone does it, there is NO reason to spend money on a replacement nut.
Remember, IF a nut has ANY effect on an electric guitar's TONE, it's only when playing open strings. And if a nut improves that then you don't want all the chorded/pressed/fretted strings to sound one way and open ones to sound different lol.
But seriously...if you are experiencing binding, and if you don't have and cant get a nutfile, you can use torch tip cleaners or just a piece of emery cloth folded in half. Just be careful not to take material off of the bottom of the nut slots...unless you need/want to. I\m sure there are plenty of how-tos on youtube if you're nervous. If you are nervous, do it anyway. If you were gonna bring it to a "tech" anyway, try your luck first. IF you screw it up, no biggie...take it in. You were going to anyway.

I have a couple of SEs and some American PRSs and...the SEs are no slouches. In fact, one of them is my #1 gigger and the US models sit on stands as backups or altered tuning players. Looking forward to your NEXT NGD pics.
Congrats again and NICE!!

Not looking to replace the nut but just to make the slots bigger to fit my strings. On the surface, the job 'looks' simple but my guitar tech skills are severely lacking and just don't want to screw up my guitar. Thanks for the advice!!! Very appreciated!!!

Looks like you have that familiar "I've been bittten by the PRS bug.......and I really like it!" smile :biggrin: that most of us here can pleasantly identify with!!

Nice guitar, Great choice......welcome to the club pal!

Congrats on your new axe, she's a beauty. Here is a method you can use to enlarge the nut slots: the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings of an electric guitar are ridged, and can act like files, so just get an old set of strings, and cut off 6-inch lengths. Then, start with the 6th string, draw that piece of old string back and forth through the nut a few times, careful not to cut the nut slot deeper, you just want to make it wider. Do the same with the others, and the slots will be almost perfect in width because your "files" are the exact string width you need. This is almost impossible to mess up if you take your time. Good luck, and by the way, this is my first post, too :)

Back