Multi Effects Pedals

Chris528

I'm looking into getting rid of all my separate pedals and buying a multi effects pedal. I'm leaning towards the Digitech RP500, but would love some input from the forum.

Depends on your setup but the RP500 is a seriously nice pedal. The thing about multifx is that you need to sit down and spend some time tweaking it to make it sound good. I use a Line 6 M9, and couldn't be happier.

The RP500 is nice but there are a few other models I would look into before I went with the digitech - mainly Line6 (POD or M series), Boss GT-10 or a Digitech GSP 1101 w/ Control 2. The effects are great and you can even run some of them as an amp modler for recording or tonal layering.

Carl Martin Quattro. Superb quality build and effects. Incredibly simple to use. Every do often I see a great deal on a used one. That's the route I would take.

DigiTech

I purchased the DigiTech Model BP90V Multi Effects Pedal. I had to send it in to be repaired (a few weeks ago, still have not gotten it back). The problem with this model (I'm not sure about the one you are thinking of---nor am I knocking Digitech) is that it has a plastic housing and it's not very sturdy. In fact, I think the only thing I did was drop a sneaker on it and next thing I know it didn't work.

So, I purchased the MS100BT - Zoom Multi-Effects Guitar Pedal w/Bluetooth. This thing is incredible. It comes with a bunch of presets but the most intriguing feature is that you can download apps (they cost between $0.99 and $1.50) each that emulate other pedals and pre-amps on the market without actually buying them. Check it out, it's only $150 and does what about 30 other pedals do combined!

Good Luck, Frank

Yeh, a friend of mine had to send back his Digitech pedal just a couple of weeks after purchase. After that, I kind of staid away from Digitech gear. And your comment is adding to the fear. I guess a plastic housing for any pedal is a no brainer STAY AWAY sign!

I purchased the DigiTech Model BP90V Multi Effects Pedal. I had to send it in to be repaired (a few weeks ago, still have not gotten it back). The problem with this model (I'm not sure about the one you are thinking of---nor am I knocking Digitech) is that it has a plastic housing and it's not very sturdy. In fact, I think the only thing I did was drop a sneaker on it and next thing I know it didn't work.

So, I purchased the MS100BT - Zoom Multi-Effects Guitar Pedal w/Bluetooth. This thing is incredible. It comes with a bunch of presets but the most intriguing feature is that you can download apps (they cost between $0.99 and $1.50) each that emulate other pedals and pre-amps on the market without actually buying them. Check it out, it's only $150 and does what about 30 other pedals do combined!

Good Luck, Frank

I use a boss me-25. It's ok but you have to tweak it. Probably won't need it much when my 2-channel H arrives at the end of the month. :D

Wel, the RP500 has a cast metal housing. I have tried it out and really like it. Looked at the RP1000 as well, but don't think it's worth the exta $100 to me.

I bought a Boss GT6 to replace my rack, $100 on craigslist and I'm fairly happy with it.

IMO it depends on what you want out of a multifx unit?

Do you need amp modelling?
Do you prefer to use patches, or do you prefer to switch fx on and off, or a combination of both?
Do you need overdrive/distortion type fx? Or will the amp take care of this?
Do you want an inbuilt expression pedal, or are you ok with having a separate one? Do you need 2 expression/volume pedals?
Do you intend to run this in 4CM (4 Cable Method, as in before the preamp and in the fx loop of the amp, so the fx are in their "correct" place)?
Does your amp need a buffer?
What sort of fx do you want, run of the mill, or run of the mill plus crazy synth/pitch modulation?
Do you want the flexibility to be able to add/power other fx pedals?
What's your budget?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I think answering them will help narrowing down a suggestion for you :)

Had a load.

Some Korg thing... Thing it was ASX-1G or something like that. Got me through college anyhoo.
Line-6 POD 2, XT Live, X3
Boss ME-50
Some ZOOM thing
Boss GT-10 (Last Multi FX)

I finally went back to analogue / Valve for my main rig beacuse I always felt something was lacking and I didn't want to spend more time tweaking than playing.

They have their uses and these days are very good. I've got a little Mustang 1 modelling practice amp that does me just fine for a hundred notes. But when it comes to recording i'm happier with the tones I get from my valve amp and a small selection of analogue pedals.

Each to their own and of course, there's no right or wrong. Just what works for you.

The TC Nova system has the excellent TC time-based effects, and an analog overdrive stage. It's well made, and has a built in power supply system with a real power cord instead of a wall wart.

I had one for a while, and thought it was the nicest multi-effects I'd tried up to that point.

I still use TC electronics G-major. I really like spill over effects and it has a switching jack that can be used to channel switch my 5150 which can be added to any patch. I had the outer control ring fall off and get lost but TC sent me one no issues.

Do you need amp modelling? NO
Do you prefer to use patches, or do you prefer to switch fx on and off, or a combination of both? BOTH
Do you need overdrive/distortion type fx? Or will the amp take care of this? YES NO
Do you want an inbuilt expression pedal, or are you ok with having a separate one? Do you need 2 expression/volume pedals? WANT BUILT IN NO
Do you intend to run this in 4CM (4 Cable Method, as in before the preamp and in the fx loop of the amp, so the fx are in their "correct" place)? NO
Does your amp need a buffer? NO
What sort of fx do you want, run of the mill, or run of the mill plus crazy synth/pitch modulation? BASICALLY RUN OF THE MILL
Do you want the flexibility to be able to add/power other fx pedals? YES
What's your budget? $300-$400

I'd be looking at the Digitech RP500 or RP1000 then (caveat - I've never played one), but I've owned a M13, Nova System, HD500 and now have a G-System (amazing unit, but it doesn't suit your needs). I say Digitech because they get favourable reviews over the HD500, and it seems the only benefit of a HDx is the amp modelling, and since you don't need that...

I'd go with the RP1000, the extra footswitches (for me) would be worth it, so you can use patches and also switch fx on and off. For me, only having 5 switches on the RP500 wouldn't be enough, but I like to use only 1 patch live (my setup on the HD500 was 3 different kinds of overdrive/distortion, one for the wah, tremolo, delay, gate, boost/EQ).

If you don't mind an external expression pedal (have a look at the Mission Engineering ones) then totally try a Nova System. As Les said, the time based fx are top notch, and it has an analog drive section. I found "only" having 1 overdrive and 1 distortion was limiting for me (as per above live setup) but it might be enough for you.

As always, try before you buy, dedicate a day to going into a music shop or 2 and trying the units out. Take your guitar and amp in and see how they all work together (if possible).

I would suggest looking at the Fender Mustang Floor... I'm not a multi effects unit kinda guy but it's pretty versatile and great for recording...

I had an RP1000 for a while then unloaded it. No matter how much tweaking I did, it still sounded "artificial" to me. Maybe I'm just old school, but I like to have the amp do most of the work, then pedals for subtle effects.

Well after a lot of reading reviews and trying out different pedals I ended up getting the Digitech RP1000. I was actually going to get the RP500, but found new RP1000 cheaper than a RP500 would cost me.

I'm pretty happy with my decision so far. Haven't had a lot of time to really get into to personal settings or online downloads, but I will.

Lots of great advice here! If I may add an additional $0.02 -

I recently off-loaded the Line 6 POD HD300 that I had for about 2 years. It didn't work for me. First, Line 6 was constantly monkeying with the settings and the presets, and the updates got to be too annoying. Then they issued a "critical" firmware update that messed up nearly every preset (that's 4 presets in each of 32 banks if you're curious) such that the volume output was severely curtailed to the point that it was barely audible. The only way to fix it was to go in to the editing software and manually switch the one setting. But even after doing that and uploading it back to the POD, when you powered it off it'd just reset itself and you had to do it all over again the next time. When I tried to restore it to to the factory default to undo all of the crap updating they had done, I discovered that they had changed the "factory default" settings (they even completely removed my favorite preset). It was a known issue, and Line 6 basically said "oh well, deal with it". Additionally, the tuners on Line 6 products, in my experience, have been sketchy at best, and the expression pedal on that HD300 was awful (it was basically an on/off switch with almost no actual range).

However, the single biggest reason I got rid of it was because there was no bypass feature (nor with any of the POD HD product line). No matter what you selected, it was always running an amp model and an effect of some kind (even if it was the generic "clean" settings). What is the point of running my 408 clean through my Vox tube amp if my multi-effects processor is still applying an amp model at all times? That was the final straw for me. I sold it, went back to pedals/stompboxes, and put together a pedal board. I've never been happier.

No matter which multi-effects unit you choose, my input would be to make sure it has a bypass feature. If that's not important to you, then by all means ignore me. But I wanted to at least share my experience and mention it. :)

Last edited:
Back