Much diff between a core/private stock?

1) Hand build
2) best of the best woods
3) custom design to your specs

I'll add to what Rider says...

4) best feeling fretboard/fretwork you could ever imagine
5) nitro finishes (or whatever else suits your fancy)
6) tone to die for even more than you'd think
7) features and options unavailable on Core

Definitely a different animal.

Rider and Les are both correct. Is it worth it?

That's a question only you can answer.

If you can find a dealer who has core and PS it's worth the drive to check it out yourself.

I don't think that flamed or quilted Maple sound any different than plain Maple but I REALLY, REALLY like the breathtaking three dimensional looking figured Maple specimens they have used in some of the Private Stock guitars I've seen!

I think it's all subtle stuff, obviously visual choices go through the roof - things like the flamed maple fingerboard binding and the flamed maple neck on mine leave me feeling dumbstruck every time I pick the thing up - but at the end of the day, I still play my two core models just as much if not more and find that they all sound amazing, all look pretty amazing in their own ways and feel about the same. I guess if you go build-to-order and do something really out there, maybe you'll start to change even more about it but that's a totally personal thing (and a deep, deep wallet thing).

I still play my two core models just as much if not more and find that they all sound amazing, all look pretty amazing in their own ways and feel about the same.

While I find the feel and tone a little more different, I agree it's subtle, and I play and love both as well.

It's hard not to love either one.

I don't have a PS to compare, but I do have some Artist package and core guitars of the same model, so at least I can make that comparison. I do think I hear a difference between them. The Artist ones have a little more ... something. However, I do have a core SC that sounds slightly better than my Artist SC. Sometimes you find the exception to the rule. Those who think a guitar sounds better, not with more time, but with more time being played, would point to this one as an example. It is the most played guitar I have and it sounds fantastic. Its Artist package sister sounds fine, but doesn't have that mojo this one has in spades.

Finish and inlay options are also virtually unlimited.

PS is worth every penny. That said, so is core. Depends on what you want.

I second the "tone to die for even more than you'd think." If you do it right with the custom specs, you get a guitar that fits you like velvet glove.

The core models would be another company's private stock.

Exactly.

The core models are just so good!

I do not think that the fretwork an overall feel is any better on a Private Stock guitar. Also the attention to detail is the same. The core models are also perfect.

Diference in sound and sustain is there off course. But that is mainly the woods. Don't expect a Core McCarty to ring out as long as a pernambuco necked, nitro finished Mccarty PS. But that is just the nature of the beast.

I bet if you were to build a Private Stock McCarty with the same woods, electronics and finish as a core model, these two guitars would play and feel the same.

I can't quantify the differences, but there's a different mojo to the PS. It's just a feel. There's also a personal factor with the PS - not just with getting the options you want, but they really go the extra mile to make sure you're happy.

Yes, for reasons noted by others.

Core is really good, but the attention to detail on the Private Stock is incredible and noticeable the minute you open the case and every time you touch the guitar. I still marvel at the quality of the Private Stock I bought at Experience 2009.

And I can get exactly what I want, which is worth something.

I have an older Ibanez Artist that I will never get rid of. It is a fluke. I would put this guitar up against any American or hand built instrument. Yes I have done a lot of upgrades to it, but the neck, feel, action and balance of the guitar are incredible. Just the fact that someone cared when they put this one together. PRS seems to care about them all. IMO.

My PS experience is low in quantity: one DGT, one of PRSh P´s G. Not possessed, but played.
My personal opinion is, that ordering a PS (C2B via authorized PS dealer) allows to select the best available materials. And those materials are shaped and composed by a very small number of the most skilled
artists among the PRS crew. As far as I know Paul´s understanding of PRS in general that he runs a customshop. Comparing to products of competitors he is right.
Comparing a Core (even WL or AP) to PS: In general both product lines have an comparatible amount of CNC and hand crafted parts, BUT: PS has no limit in anything but the budget of the customer and the physical borders.
Therefor there are unlimited ways of don´t use solutions off the shelf: Inlays, colours, scale length, neck shape, number of strings and frets, electrics, they even wound pups individually and so on.

To me personally I would only order a PS as a custom order according to MY specs. I won´t buy a PS because it´s a PS.

Taking the same amp settings [a foreign amp (Mesa Mark V combo) at the GC] I compared the DGT PS with my core 513 MT (a few of you are aware of its electrics mod). My guitar behaved just like using my gear at home.
The DGT sounded dull, I couldn´t hear a clear difference between coil tab and humbucker - but I did so with mine.

The P´s G had a full but articulated humbucker sound and was capable to deliver a snappy sound on coil tap mode just like a Tele.
But I didn´t feel comfortable with Paul´s neck shape.

Both guitars are top notch by material and craftmanship, but I wasn´t convinced that there is a need purchasing such an guitar.

Do any of these differences (such as tone or mojo) change the sound in any measurable way coming out of the speaker assuming the guitars are being played in a similar manner and with similar setup? I am following discussions like this one with interest while I strive to figure out what higher end PRSi I should bring home (and in what order).

Do any of these differences (such as tone or mojo) change the sound in any measurable way coming out of the speaker assuming the guitars are being played in a similar manner and with similar setup? I am following discussions like this one with interest while I strive to figure out what higher end PRSi I should bring home (and in what order).
Good question, but very hard to answer objectively and near impossible to provide any metrics.

My private stocks tend to be a bit different from my core in a couple of respects, which is kind of the point of private stock. I do have a couple of 'pairs' in that I have core and private stock on similar platforms: Santana, CU22 and HB. It happens that this month I have been playing them through the same amp, with the same setting (I'll document that in a thread another time). I'm not finished yet, but I do feel that the private stock comes out nicer. It is hard to pin it down, but I want to say the sweet spot is bigger. I'll try to explain: I have guitars where the sweet spot is frets 5-12 on the top 4 strings. On my private stocks I don't feel such constraints.

Reactions: moT

Measurable way?!? Yeah we all measure various factors on our guitar amps daily...

When you figure out the magic formula that correlates a set of measurements with bad tone, good tone and better tone, please patent it, since a lot of guitar manufacturers will want "in" on that secret. ;)

Yeah, my PS guitars sound different - different doesn't necessarily mean better to every person - from my Core models.

It affects what I hear coming out of the amp; in fact, the difference between my CU24 30th PS and the Core version startled me; the McCarty Singlecut is quite different from an SC245, and so on. Does that mean YOU will hear the difference?

Do we even know WTF you hear and what's important to you tonally?

Doesn't a lot depend on your amp, your pedals, how much gain you use, and a bazillion other factors, including your playing style, experience, hearing acuity, and knowing what to listen for?

And to go one step further, even if you hear the difference, what's the value of that difference to you? Totally subjective!

So how do you find out the answer to the question? Play some and decide for yourself. If you think it's worth the dough, go with that conclusion, and if not, go with the other conclusion.

Not one near you? Get in the car, a train, or a plane and find one; if you can afford a PS, you can afford to investigate the purchase. The internet isn't going to answer this question for you. It can't. It's too personal.

"I'd like a bunch of complete strangers on the internet to tell me what kind of wife to get. I like blondes, but I can't decide between a Swedish blonde or a blonde from Finland. What are Swedish girls like? Are they nicer than girls from Finland?"

"Hmmm...do we get to date and sleep with the ones you're interested in, you know, try them out before we give you our advice?"

There is no "best." There is only what is best for you, and there's only one way to find out. Play them.

You know I'm right. ;)

Last edited:
Do any of these differences (such as tone or mojo) change the sound in any measurable way coming out of the speaker assuming the guitars are being played in a similar manner and with similar setup?
So far it looks like the answer is "no" with caveats, but on the other hand if we vetted our personal relationships as well as we vetted guitars...

To take your analogy a little further, let's say I am an immature schmuck who never had sex education and has never seen a classy woman in person. Some of my 'friends' on line have more experience in this area (though they may be doing some kind of homo-social lying/boasting to earn street cred), so should I ask them for tips on dating or just guess the answers myself and get out there and date/marry the first specimen that comes available who I like? After all, the only way to find out is to play with a few.

Cheers,
Tom

Back