Most Underrated Guitarists of all time...

I am still haven't posted enough to provide links, but here are four of my favorite:
Elizabeth Cotton
Debbie Davies
Debbie Davies (she plays a PRS custom 24)
Mike Landau

every fingerstyle guitarists' first song was "freight train."
:)
and ... check out lenny breau's version.

Last edited:
Here is Ms. Cotten sing/playing Freight Train. It never gets old listening and watching her play

Bonnie Raitt is my favorite! I saw her and Lyle Lovett in concert-it was one of the BEST dam* concerts I have ever been to! Gatemouth Brown is tied-he was phenomenal.

Not underrated as a singer, songwriter, or performer, but I think he's underrated as a guitarist. His guitar is the perfect accompaniment, and has a tone and phrasing that is as unique as his voice:

And, on a related note:

I've always thought that James Taylor is completely overlooked as a guitarist.
Very unique and creative.

I've also been listening to some of the very early electric guitarists like Charlie Christian and T-Bone Walker.
Les Paul had impressive skills also.

Last edited:
Alex Hutchings is an English guitarist that spends a lot of his time roaming around the world demonstrating for Boss/Roland, as well as doing session work and teaching videos. I think he's amazing, and when I saw him at NAMM a few yours ago I aked him why he hadn't put out a record and he said that he was doing so well, and enjoying himself, that he has just never got around to it.
Two examples:

Ben Lacy. The man must have 3 brains. Watch and shake your heads.

That was filmed at the Ryman during Summer NAMM probably 10 years ago. He got the longest and loudest standing ovation of all those players (which was no slouch group).
Fantastic.

I am still haven't posted enough to provide links, but here are four of my favorite:
Elizabeth Cotton
Debbie Davies
Debbie Davies (she plays a PRS custom 24)
Mike Landau

You have Debbie listed twice? Debbie Davies blues guitarist? Debbie Davies that used to tour with Albert Collins? This Debbie Davies? You are absolutely correct an underrated guitarist although her being listed in May, 2017, Guitar Player magazine "50 Sensational Female Guitarists" would seemingly contradict that. (Page 46). Debbie is a great guitarist and one of the nicest gals to ever walk the planet.

But, again assuming we are talking the same Debbie Davies, I've never seen her with anything but a Strat.

i stand corrected! She does play a strat. I hadn't realized i listed her twice. oops!

David Holt (grissom's counterpart in Storyville and the Booze Weasles)
Snowy White
Josh Smith
Michael Landau
Brad Whitford (Perry gets all the love, but Whit is a monster).
Neil Zaza

David Holt (grissom's counterpart in Storyville and the Booze Weasles)
Snowy White
Josh Smith
Michael Landau
Brad Whitford (Perry gets all the love, but Whit is a monster).
Neil Zaza

Michael Landau is amazing:

Here's just one clip of the magic this man makes:

Back