Most Underrated Guitarists of all time...

Bireli Lagrene. I think since he is a French guitarist he doesn't get as much recognition as American and British guitarists.

He has played with Jaco Pastorius, Larry Coryell, and Al Di Meola among others.

Dead on the money!!!

We've had the Bolin conversation before, so you know what I think of him. I do wonder if the "he replaced ......" gives him a bum rap though. Between the James Gang, Deep Purple, Zephyr, Cobham and the 2 solo albums, they gave us some wonderful glimpses of the guitarist he was truly capable of being.

I was watching a clip of 25 or 6 to 4 live from 1970...Kath was a freaking monster. I know he was working toward a solo record when he passed, now we're left to forever wonder what might have been and IMO Chicago never really regained what was lost with his death. If you've not seen the Terry Kath Experience, yet, you really should. It's an awesome look at his life and his daughter's quest to know her dad better and her hunt in finding Terry's Tele.

Ordered the DVD last night.

Lonnie Mack didn’t even get his due on the day he died. SRV borrowed a lot of his flash.

Terry Kath could sure spank a Tele. Following the Phil Keaggy reference in another thread, does Jimi Hendrix calling someone some variation of the best player going disqualify a guy from an underrated list?

Yes it should. The trouble is Hendrix himself bowed to the guitar supremacy of Kath, but not enough others have. Kath played rythym and lead at the same time while singing. That is just crazy because the soul of his singing was a discipline in itself. Add his unique way of spinning multiple triplets into the timing without missing A BEAT. JUST CRAZY! Hendrix and others saw this, but not enough. A great example of his playing minus Cetera doing the singing is Questions 67 and 68.

Ordered the DVD last night.

Let me know what you think of it once you get it. I don't want to give anything away, but there's a momment towards the end of the film that I'd be interested in your reaction to...it gave me goosebumps.

Let me know what you think of it once you get it. I don't want to give anything away, but there's a momment towards the end of the film that I'd be interested in your reaction to...it gave me goosebumps.

Will do!

I think Michael Romeo from Symphony X is really underrated outside of the prog-metal community.

Bill Kelliher from Mastodon.

The dude is a riff machine and a tight as **** rythm monster.

Brent Hinds the lead player is quite a character and I think Bill seems to fly undzer the radar in comparison but he holds every one of those records together

Clapton stole half his licks from Albert King, note for note. Well, if you’re gonna steal, steal from the best, right?

Albert taught SRV some stuff.

Most of the world doesn’t even know who he was.

Listen to ‘Born Under A Bad Sign’ - which Albert wrote and recorded before Cream recorded the hit on Disraeli Gears - and you’ll recognize an awful lot of licks.

THIS! Soooo THIS!

The “like” is on the off chance that you’re referring to Mick Jones from The Clash, and not the other one. :D

AND THIS!

Not my thing but Roy Clark dude was incredible with literally any stringed instrument...

Great call. Growing up in the 70's, my Dad would watch Hee-Haw and yeah, Roy could flat out pick. Another that pops to mind from the same genre is Don Rich from the Buckaroos. Buck's musical career was never quite the same after Don was killed. While their Red, white and blue Tele's got most of the attention, I've always wanted a silver metal flake or a champagne metal flake Tele like Buck and Don played earlier in their careers.

Last edited:
I've been on a bit of a Yes kick lately and dug out 90125 the other day, Trevor Rabin is a name that never gets mentioned when great guitar players are being discussed, but it should. KSHE in St. Louis used to play Now from his 1979 album Face to Face so I'd heard him before, but the 90125 album and the following Big Generator, had his fingerprints all over it and made Yes relevant in the 80's.

I am still haven't posted enough to provide links, but here are four of my favorite:
Elizabeth Cotton
Debbie Davies
Debbie Davies (she plays a PRS custom 24)
Mike Landau

Back