All Things Amplifier Are Ordained In The Good Book - Of Tone!

Fixed it. ;)

One can buy a pair of shoes made entirely of simulated leather. A shopper can get several pairs of these plastic shoes for the price of a single pair of high quality leather shoes. The plastic shoes require no polishing. Wipe 'em clean with a damp rag. They look perhaps 90% like real leather shoes. They certainly operate as shoes, and goodness knows they're easy on the wallet.

Lots of folks will walk around in those ersatz leather shoes, and say, and believe, that they're indistinguishable from real leather shoes. Some will go further and say that people who still buy leather shoes are fools or dinosaurs.

A few people will notice that they're not leather. Most won't notice the difference.

One can also buy a Dacron-blend suit that looks very similar to wool and costs a tenth the price of a good wool suit.

Far be it from me to tell the plastic shoe or Dacron suit believer that they're somehow making the wrong choice. These things are personal! :rolleyes:
If we had a band it’d be called Leather Daddy and the Latex Queen.

I don't understand the Tony Mystic reference at all, but I liked your post due to its determined effort to make a funny.

200.gif

It was YOU, dad!!!! I learned it from YOU!!!! Way back in post 25.

I prefer the term, 'Tone Mystics'.

Because....well...just because. ;)

I mean, you don’t know that.

Plenty of us have heard your tone on commercials without knowing it was you.
This is true...but...

Some of my tone on commercials is subject to the whims of the clients. This is why life ain't fair, and one good reason why my playing will never be missed once I kick the freaking bucket.

"It's not just your tone that dictates that your playing won't be missed, my friend."

"OK, but if I had enough time, my wonderful tone would eventually be a factor in excellent playing if I practiced enough."

"Dude. There are great players; there are people who are geniuses at guitar. And then there's you. I'd say you blew it when you stopped playing accordion."

"The accordion is the greatest single instrument of all time after piano. It's a veritable one-person orchestra, a classic instrument that is under-appreciated. Let's not get over the tips of our skis dissing the accordion, OK? I've spoken to my guitars about this, and they all have great respect and affection for the Queen of instruments, the accordion."

"You say your guitars talk to you?"

"From time to time."

"What else do they say?"

"Usually it's something like, 'Please stop playing that song for the ten zillionth time', or 'I wish someone else had bought me'." But I don't take those complaints too seriously. After all, most inanimate objects do not love their day job."

Last edited:
There's no real spike at all at 3-3.5k on the V30, the amplitude at those frequencies is actually slightly lower than the rest of the bulge (except for the narrow trough at 2.7k.

The curve's high point at 2.3 kHz is actually larger than the one at 3.5, and there's a trough beginning between 2.7 kHz and 3kHz that's about 2,5 db lower.

A 3 kHz peak of a few db is the frequency listeners find harsh (though compared to the rest of the curve, there's no singular peak at 3.5k on the V30), according to a variety of studies, where a peak at 1-2kHz is classically called a 'presence peak' aiding intelligibility, and 5kHz is generally thought of as 'sparkle'. More on this below.
I have the frequency chart from Celestion saved on my computer. So yes I know there is actually an even higher peak below that one, then a small dip, then the one that if you zoom it, seems to be centered around 3.2 or 3.3K, so i was off a bit on the 3.5K number.

When I said the peak at 3.5K is what I didn’t like, I have actually swept around with a narrow parametric EQ notch, and that range right around 3.5K (probably between 3.2-3.5) is the thing I didn’t like earlier and even higher peak (centered around 2.3K or so) doesn’t seem to bother me as much. Perhaps that’s because the ear can be tricked a bit by dips that are right after peaks, and the dip is centered at about 2.7K and is back down to the level of 2K, so down 5dB or so from the 2.2-ish peak. So you’ve got a peak, followed by a 5dB or so dip of similar Q range. But the peak just below 3.5K doesn’t have a sharp dip after it, but a slow taper drop. The shape of the 2.7k dip is almost a mirror image of the peak at 2.2K. Many times the ear sort of “normalizes” (my choice of descriptors) a peak/dip response to “hear” it as more even than it is, but when a frequency peak has a slow taper off the peak, we hear the peak more clearly. There have been several studies that showed that if you drew an almost perfect wave of up-down-up waives of the same size, the ear tends to hear that as very flat when in fact its not flat at all, but as long as the waves match closely (and the Q is not too large) the ear hears “even” frequency response. Or at least, way more even than is actually happening.

Anyway, I’m only guessing why the upper peak of the V30 bothers me and the one right below it doesn’t. And, as I’ve said often, I like a V30 mixed with another speaker. But when two of them are used together in a 2x, that’s when I don’t like that peak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a danger of believing in figures purely for the chassis generated in free air: it's often the reinforcement of peaks and troughs in the paired enclosure's and the chassis' response that does the real damage.

I think there's a danger of believing in figures purely for the chassis generated in free air: it's often the reinforcement of peaks and troughs in the paired enclosure's and the chassis' response that does the real damage.
Yes!

And since amps have their own anomalies - damping factor among the many - amps, cabs, guitars, pickups and ancillary gear affect the outcome.

The V30 sounds WAY different in my pine, ported Grissom cab than it does in my closed back Big Mouth, with either amp. That’s to be expected.

In general, I prefer an alnico speaker to a ceramic by a pretty wide margin. I wouldn’t have ordered these cabs with the speakers they came with if there had been a serious alternative (in the case of the Lone Star, Mesa hadn’t started offering a 12” alnico alternative yet, and PRS never did).

Fortunately, the V30 records well with lots of amps, so I’m OK not swapping them out.

I hate dicking around with speaker cabs swapping out speakers! But I’ve given serious thought to putting a pair of Cream 90s in the DG cab just for grins.

Back