Most Underrated Guitarists of all time...

I have two, one esteemed and known, the other esteemed but not considered mainstream..

John Lee Hooker. As a guitar player, he was all over the place in time and beat, but his single most powerful skill was story telling. His solo version with single guitar, slightly out of tune of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" is delightful in it's roughness and his vocal beauty.

Duke Robillard. A master of countless styles, played with just about anyone that matters, and is a fine and tasty technician.

I have two, one esteemed and known, the other esteemed but not considered mainstream..

John Lee Hooker. As a guitar player, he was all over the place in time and beat, but his single most powerful skill was story telling. His solo version with single guitar, slightly out of tune of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" is delightful in it's roughness and his vocal beauty.

Duke Robillard. A master of countless styles, played with just about anyone that matters, and is a fine and tasty technician.

I couldn't agree more on the John Lee Hooker statement. I'm familiar with the name Duke Robillard, but sad to say, but not of his playing that I can recall. I intend to change that asap.

I was in the process of ear learning OB,OS & OB yesterday. It's not a hard one technically, but to get the phrasing and accents are where the magic happens...it also happens to be where the real challenge lies. "Attempting" to be that raw...deliberately... now that's the tricky part! Or at least it is for me anyway.:confused: The challenge of figuring out how to get there, from where I am, usually ends up being the best and definitely my favorite part of the whole process. Ahhh, the good stuff!

David Holt (grissom's counterpart in Storyville and the Booze Weasles)
Snowy White
Josh Smith
Michael Landau
Brad Whitford (Perry gets all the love, but Whit is a monster).
Neil Zaza
We saw Josh Smith on the Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea Cruise. He shared the stage with Kirk Fletcher. We saw them both years we went on the cruise, this year and last, and got introduced to these two monster guitarists. They put on great shows and we had the opportunity to chat with them. As great of guitarists as they are that that is how humble and nice they are. This years Josh did a song called "Penance" which is on his album called "Inception", an all instrumental album. After the cruise we took a few days to hang out in the Florida Keys. We had bought the cd and listened to it just about non-stop in our rental car.

Possibly most importantly that is me that shouts "Whoo!" at about 2:00 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We saw Josh Smith on the Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea Cruise. He shared the stage with Kirk Fletcher. We saw them both years we went on the cruise, this year and last, and got introduced to these two monster guitarists. They put on great shows and we had the opportunity to chat with them. As great of guitarists as they are that that is how humble and nice they are. This years Josh did a song called "Penance" which is on his album called "Inception", and all instrumental album. After the cruise we took a few days to hang out in the Florida Keys. We had bought the cd and listened to it just about non-stop in our rental car.

Possibly most importantly that is me that shouts "Whoo!" at about 2:00 :rolleyes:

I've been blessed to know Josh (met at several forum meet ups around Namm, etc) love that guy. Such an inspiration.
Kirk's awesome too, But Josh's music connects with me different, he can do it all.

Ana Popovic
How can anyone not think Ana Popovic is the greatest guitarist ever!?!?!?;):cool::D:rolleyes:
ana.jpg

Ray Parker Jr.

Everyone always laughs at me when I say this but.... you’ll see. Hell, I didn’t even know I was listening to him my whole life until the internet came along.

I guess the director of that Hired Guns documentary, his next film is about Ray.

Ray's no joke. Legit badass.
Laugh all you want about ghost busters. but he was in the thick of the studio stuff with Graydon, Carlton, Lukather, etc.
He was 'the' guy in his style...once he moved on, Paul Jackson Jr. became the 'guy' with the funky chops.

And he made a mint off the GB theme.

Ill throw an interesting one out there for a nice debate
Dave Murray And Adrian Smith...
Why aren't these guys ever mentioned or thought of?
Possibly the greatest guitar duo ever

Good point.

I guess I don’t think of them much because they were so pervasive in my life for a period of time, and then all of the sudden... not. Same with Jeff and Kerry and Slayer, they’re just a food group I rarely ingest much of these days.

Back