Most Influencial Guitarist

IKnowALittle

I've thought about this for a while.
Just because I find it interesting and important to myself.
After much tooing and froing, this is who I came up with ... there are two.

Eric Clapton
Beano album 1966. Cream 1966.
Man, he invented "white-boy" blues and created a monster in the process.

Merle Travis.
What can I say?
If u don't "get it," then u don't "get it."

Travis & Son

Jimi and Keef. They both rewrote the language of the electric guitar. Jimi sonically and Keef in terms of rhythm/riffage. Nobody sounded anything like either of them before they came along and EVERYONE incorporated what they’d done once they did it...

For me, Carlos. He conjures with a single sustained note more emotion than I am capable of... period. Its been over 40 years since I first heard Dance Sister Dance and Europa on the Moonflower album and I can remember the first time I heard it as though it was yesterday. At least for me, I learned it was not about technical prowess or being fast and furious, it was about expression from the soul that is truly amazing.

If I have to single out two, I probably go with B.B. King and SRV.
I like many others, but those two are the ones I was most aware of trying to channel into my own playing/writing.

Are we talking about our FAVORITES or those we think are most influential overall? There are a number of players who's playing I love all kinds of ways, and may have had an influence on making me wish I could sound like them, but I don't think that makes them influential overall. There are players who've been mentioned in this thread who I agree are great players, but I can't see them as influential in the sense of changing how music sounded after they'd come along.

I took it to mean influential to me personally... if you want historically or overall, there are many great sources that are available out there to review. I figured this was one of those threads where we shared out own influences...

For me it would be Hank Marvin and Brian May, since it was listening to cassettes of the Shadows and Queen in my parents car in the 80s that made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place.

Influential in "rock" - Jimi, Page, EVH in that order

Although not only "rock", I'd add McLaughlin,

Me personally....................Albert King and Eddie Lang (look him up). Albert was the first guitar player who made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Eddie Lang did virtually everything before anyone else, in the late 20's early 30's. His recordings with Lonnie Johnson on 12 string are the greatest 12 string blues ever played. Other than that, everybody I ever heard, especially in person.

Are we talking about our FAVORITES or those we think are most influential overall?.

Good question. I can see how it could be interpreted and answered either way. I interpreted and answered above in the “overall” sense, believing that Jimi and Eddie revolutionized so many guitar styles. However, upon further reflection, I’d have to include Chuck Berry.

In terms of favorites? I’m a Nuno freak.

Good point abut Chuck Berry - "influential" fits him - every other guitarist talks about him.

Good question. I can see how it could be interpreted and answered either way. I interpreted and answered above in the “overall” sense, believing that Jimi and Eddie revolutionized so many guitar styles. However, upon further reflection, I’d have to include Chuck Berry.

In terms of favorites? I’m a Nuno freak.
Yeah, I'd have to include Chuck Berry too - like Jimi and Keith, nobody played like him before him and everyone played like him after him.

-Ray

Back