Most Influencial Guitarist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IKnowALittle, Jul 30, 2018.

1. walrus

walrus New Member

Ah, George Harrison, of course! Harrison was a great player, but I think his "influence" mostly comes from being in The Beatles. There isn't another band that got more people - especially kids - playing guitar. His tasteful solos made a big impression on a whole generation.

2. ieso

ieso New Member

personally, everything was different after Jimi, then EVH, then Vernon Reid, then Buckethead and Shawn Lane, then Danny Gatton

3. Steve's addiction

Steve's addiction New Member

Roger Troutman, Nile Rogers, SRV, jeff golub

4. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A

Wouldn’t it be easier to list the least influential guitarist?
    (<—- avoids mirrors waiting for answers)

5. JJJ

JJJ asleep

I have a few

John Frusciante

Brent Hinds

John Baizley

Mike Scheidt

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Any guitarist who played with Procul Harum, because they all had the good taste to stay out of the way of the piano and organ players.

On a more serious note, Albert King.

7. IKnowALittle

IKnowALittle New Member

I likely should have phrased the question ... "Who is the most important guitarist."

8. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Slash - maybe not the most 'technical' guitarist but when I heard GNR's Sweet Child O' Mine, that made me want to learn guitar so I went out and bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and learned to play that intro. I have loved every album Slash has done and is still a big influence to me.

Obviously guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and John Petrucci are big heroes of mine too and we all know that Jimi and Jimmy (Page) were big influences on them as well as myself but I got into these more later in life after my 'heroes' cited these as their big influences. I didn't really discover these as my parents were more into Pop than Rock so I wasn't really aware of Rock until the very late 70's, early 80's but it was Slash that made me want to learn to play Guitar.

Most influential overall is difficult to answer - some may say Hendrix for example because the majority of modern professional Guitarists cite him as a major influence on them or at the very least, the person that influenced their 'heroes' - Joe Satriani for example picked up a guitar the day he heard Hendrix died and was a big influence on him. Obviously Stevie Ray Vaughn was influenced by Jimi too.

9. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Glad to see Jeff Golub on your list. He has had a big influence on me and my playing. Very sad that he died at a fairly young age.

10. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Probably Duane Allman & Dicky Betts (I think Live At The Fillmore East) on the blues side
    On the jazz side - Larry Carlton & Jeff Golub

11. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

Of all people I've ever thought influenced me, mine is odd. Richard Berry of the Kingsman. That lead break in Louie Louie, would still be red hot today. I heard that and thought, Man, I wanna play like that. I don't know if it was because I was in the service in that time, or disconnected but I wasn't much influenced by any of the Rock Gods, Clapton, Page, etc. I know their stuff now, but back then I was a bit meh...I was influenced by Jimi, alot.

bodia likes this.
  12. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

Personally:
    Jerry Garcia. I learned mixolydian from St. Steven & Dark Star 20 years before I knew it had a name.

Acoustic players were always a big influence. Bert Jansch, Gary Davis, Davy Graham.

RaySachs likes this.
  13. RowdyGrunt

RowdyGrunt Serial Six String Abuser

SRV, EVH, and Tremonti.
    Especially Tremonti.

14. Sephiroth

Sephiroth New Member

Most influential guitarists... to me... SRV, Jerry Cantrell, Trey Anastasio, Dave Navarro, Dave Matthews, Tuck Andress, Paco de Lucia, Mike McCready and Stone Gossard

15. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Possibly A New Member

To me they gotta be Tom Morello and Randy Rhodes, Tom Morello especially because of all those unique sounds he has created

16. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

Schenker
    Travers

bodia likes this.
  17. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Player

Stevie Ray

bodia and veinbuster like this.
  18. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

That’s an easy one for me: Paul Reed Smith.

19. Antmax

Antmax New Member

For me as a British teenager in the mid 80's through early 90's I'd say Brian May first, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith because of Iron Maiden. Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore through Deep Purple. Early 90's saw Gary Moore and found out about Peter Green. Paul Kossoff was pretty cool too.

Only American guitarist I grew up with was Hendrix, Strangely Van Halen didn't really seem very popular or well known outside of the America.

20. Jerome Monson

Jerome Monson I love my CE 24