Monty Python - "One Down, Five To Go"

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Went to a local theater to see the simulcast of the last Monty Python performance. I watched Pythons like crazy when I was younger - back before we had DVRs and VCRs and had to wait for PBS to show the episodes when THEY wanted to, not when we wanted to see them. Lookshuree.

They hit all the high points for me - I could only come up with one bit that they didn't touch on that I thought they might, and there was at least one that I love but never would have expected to see. Of course, all the biggies - Spanish Inquisition, dead parrot, cheese shop, lumberjack song, argument clinic. Lots of song and dance numbers, with a generous helping of Graham Chapman. Several personal shots, several crack-ups in bits.

I did have tears in my eyes singing "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life". The Pythons were a huge part of my life growing up, and a huge influence on my sense of humor. Thankfully, I have a stack of DVDs - the whole TV series, the movies, some specials - that never get old.

They are replaying this in theaters July 23 and 24, if you're so inclined. It's well worth it - I'm thinking about going again.

Way to go Alan! I'm so happy for you. It sounds great! It's uncanny how much you and I have in common; I'm a huge Python fan myself. Expect a PM or two on the subject later my friend.

Lloyd

I saw the first show of this final set of dates on July 1st at the O2... the Argument Clinic is my favourite sketch and of course they did that...

I'm sure it'll be out on DVD by Christmas!

And now for something completely different.

...interesting musical tie-in. The Pythons were sponsored by, and owe much of their success to, George Harrison. He gave them a shot when everyone else was turning them down.

I saw the first show of this final set of dates on July 1st at the O2... the Argument Clinic is my favourite sketch and of course they did that...

I'm sure it'll be out on DVD by Christmas!

Jealous! And DVD out Nov. 10 in the UK, no US date announced yet but likely Nov. 11.

And now for something completely different.

...interesting musical tie-in. The Pythons were sponsored by, and owe much of their success to, George Harrison. He gave them a shot when everyone else was turning them down.

He helped finance Life Of Brian. Also appeared in the march to the crucifixion. And he helped with the Rutles, too. When the Beatles Anthology came out, the Rutles decided to do their version, but they went to George to make sure it was okay. His first - and I believe only - question: "Which one of you gets shot?"

I'm not sure a day goes by that I don't quote Python. I love British humor in general (I have a Derek and Clive tape that will make you wonder if it's the same Dudley Moore from 'Arthur') - Hitchhiker's Guide, Coupling, Young Ones, Ab Fab, Alexei Sayle, and so many others.

But it was always Python above all else.

Pointed stick.

True story - in 2009, I went to London on a business trip. Did a tour of Westminster Abbey - rushed, because it was a weekday (although it was their late day). I did not realize how many of the royals were buried there. Then I saw a sign that pointed to the tomb of Mary, Queen Of Scots.

Yeah, I wasn't going to miss that.

So I'm standing there before her crypt, and it dawns on me - my iPod is in my pocket.

With my Monty Python stuff on it.

Including "The Death Of Mary, Queen Of Scots".

Damn right I sat there and listened to it. Desperately trying not to giggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mythology created when I was the actual Black Knight in 1332 was the model for the Black Knight in that sketch, except that I always prevailed.

Now hand me my arm, I need to play the guitar.

The mythology created when I was the actual Black Knight in 1332 was the model for the Black Knight in that sketch, except that I always prevailed.

Now hand me my arm, I need to play the guitar.

:beer: 'It's just a flesh wound.'

Lloyd

Back