Mesa Boogie Rectifier series vs. Mark V

rpoce24

For modern rock and metal Mesa and PRS to me is basically a perfect match. For anyone that has used these with their PRS, which seems to be a better match? I was kinda leaning towards the 35 watt Mark V (I know there is a 35 watt version also) as it seems to be a compromise with getting great sounds in a smaller amp as I have no use for the 100 watt heads most associated with the dual and triple rectifiers.

Not sure Mesa amps is best here but....a Recto seems to be the formula you describe....

Wait for the new Tremonti amp or try the MT15. It is right there with the Recto and very reasonable.

For me its all about Friedman now

I had the 90 watt Mk V and have used a pile of Dual and Triple Recs over the years.

They’re all amazing amps for heavier stuff, the Rectifiers are a little easier to dial in partially because they’ve got less controls to mess with, and are cheaper used because they’ve fallen outta fashion at the moment.

I dunno.... it’s a toss up as to which one to choose, either is a great choice though.

I see they also make a mini rectifier 25 head. I have only had combos so do not know how to match that to a cabinet.

I see they also make a mini rectifier 25 head. I have only had combos so do not know how to match that to a cabinet.

I haven’t tried one of those, but EL84 amps can be a bit “squishy” in the low end and Rectifiers kinda already had that going on already.

You may not need the power of a 50-100 watt amp but, unless you’re really going for power tube saturation, I wouldn’t pass on a nicely priced Rec because of it. Their master volumes work well.

Personally, I'd grab a Recto. The Mark series are hard to dial in and if you have wrong atmospheric conditions your tone goes away. I had a MKIV and a MKV:25 and both were too hard to dial and keep consistent. Every Recto I have used ( backline amps, usually) have been easy to dial and sound great in the mix.

Every Recto I have used ( backline amps, usually) have been easy to dial and sound great in the mix.

Yup. Recto’s were everywhere when I was renting and using backline stuff.

Seriously, sometimes I think I should just buy one, or a JCM900 and call it a day. Make one of those “my amp”, really dial all my other sh!t in, and bask in the convenience factor. They’re often overshadowed by the gain channels, but Rectos have really good cleans too.

..... if I can ever leave the house again. :oops:

Yup. Recto’s were everywhere when I was renting and using backline stuff.

Seriously, sometimes I think I should just buy one, or a JCM900 and call it a day. Make one of those “my amp”, really dial all my other sh!t in, and bask in the convenience factor. They’re often overshadowed by the gain channels, but Rectos have really good cleans too.

..... if I can ever leave the house again. :oops:

I love the 3 channel rectos. The cleans are great, and I love the orange channel. I could live between those 2 sounds. Never thought of getting one now.....

Hmmmm.....

I love the 3 channel rectos. The cleans are great, and I love the orange channel. I could live between those 2 sounds. Never thought of getting one now.....

Hmmmm.....

Right? I kinda forgot about them until I went to a rehearsal studio. I took the train because I didn’t wanna deal with parking in that particular neighborhood of Chicago (ridiculously expensive) and knew they had some great amps... Never would’ve guessed I would’ve liked the Recto the best outta their pile.

Then I was on a gig where the other band’s guitar player had a combo... dude sounded great! Plus, the sound man didn’t hassle him about volume(?). Whereas my 30 watt @ss with a head and cabinet got told to turn down before I even flipped the amp on.

perceptions. :rolleyes:

Rectos are hard to beat for the particular wall-of-doom sound they make. I had a Dual Recto at one point and it was punishing. Unfortunately, I was playing is a pop cover band at the time, and it rarely saw the front door of the house. I got a Road King II, and found it was a great compromise unless you have an aversion to knobs... it has a whole box of them. But the Channel 4 Modern sound is pure Mesa Recto. And you can sneak it in on unsuspecting sound men...

In other waters, while you're looking, the Mesa JP2C is as much Dream Theater style thump as you can fit into a little box. Depending on which end of metal you're looking for, it's a beastly little machine.

I ditched my full size MkV for an Archon 50w head, and couldn’t be happier. That MkV never sounded the same from day to day. Plus, so many knobs and switches. The Archon is WAY easier to get a good, consistent tone from. And, it’s not a one trick pony. Toss is a glorious clean channel and you’re done.

That MkV never sounded the same from day to day. Plus, so many knobs and switches.

Word!

I couldn’t keep my hands off the knobs, switches, and faders of that thing. I’d spend at least half my playing time f@cking with that third channel every time I turned it on.

The Mk's weakness is also its strength, I love how I can change the sound to what I'm in the mood for. The Recto is very consistent, but feels like it just has the one sound to me.

I'm with you! I played through a .50 caliber plus for over 20 years, and when I started looking to upgrade, I tried out a recto roadster. It was nice, but I just couldn't quite dial in the tone I was after. Once I found the MK V, I haven't looked back.

So, if a went with the dual rectifier 25 watt is the 1×12 minirec 60 watt cabinet the best route to go? Or get the combo version?

I had a .5 caliber and a dual rectifier. Another one to consider is a TC50. I’ve been playing the 50W Triple Crown with a 2x12 cab for the past couple of years. To me me it’s way better for metal. Plus it’s a lot easier to dial in a tone.

So, if a went with the dual rectifier 25 watt is the 1×12 minirec 60 watt cabinet the best route to go? Or get the combo version?

I prefer cabs for live sound especially if your amp isn’t against a wall. I guess if it’s mic’ed it wouldn’t make too much of a difference though.

Rectos are shockingly good for classic rock as well as heavier stuff. Metal guys all boost them. If you don't boost, they have great mid harmonics that sit very well in a mix and cut through no matter what, but also a pleasing tone that is not just crushing. Boosted, they are crushing, which is also a good thing.

I have gigged the mini recto many times and it's been a champ. Still one of the best amps I've owned. I have mated it with a Mesa 4x10 (hard to find, but sounded great and way easier than a 4x12) as well as pretty much any recto cab. Two 1x12 or a vertical 2x12 are my faves. You can also run into a load box with a good cabinet IR and play through full-range monitors at home and skip the cab altogether.

Everybody is wrong. It's the "Big Iron" Lonestar Classic head running 100 watts into the matching 2x12 cabinet...run any combination of pedals into either channel or effects loop.

Back