Mesa Boogie Rectifier series vs. Mark V

I have a lead on a good price for a Rectoverb 25 combo amp. After much thought I just can't justify the 50, 100, or god forbid 150 watt heads. I know they sound awesome, but I know the 25 is supposed to be a goo amp.

I had that combo. I really struggled to get any low end from it due to the small size, but the creamback m65 seems to do the trick with my Friedman amps.

Everybody is wrong. It's the "Big Iron" Lonestar Classic head running 100 watts into the matching 2x12 cabinet...run any combination of pedals into either channel or effects loop.

That is a great amp, but it has the tone it has. Perfect if you want to sound like Timmons or SRV, but even Timmons had to go to the stiletto for rock tones. You could of course put a BE-OD in front and it would likely slay. But why not start with amp tone that suits you? I will say that the clean channel is divine.

Everybody is wrong. It's the "Big Iron" Lonestar Classic head running 100 watts into the matching 2x12 cabinet...run any combination of pedals into either channel or effects loop.

Not sure there’s right or wrong to this stuff. I have the 100 Watt Lone Star in a 212 combo. It’s pictured here with my PRS amps and a Fillmore (just below the watercolor).

nlGCmFJ.jpg

My take is that folks looking for a recto sound should get a recto. The Lone Star is tighter on the low end, and has less gain. Also, the cleans are different.

The Mark V has the Lone Star cleans, but a lot more gain on tap in the other channels (have had a Mark V, btw).

A pedal will push each of the three amps a bit differently. I equipped the LS with NOS tubes, and love it, but would recommend it to a different type of player.

Last edited:
Not sure there’s right or wrong to this stuff. I have the 100 Watt Lone Star in a 212 combo. It’s pictured here with my PRS amps and a Fillmore (just below the watercolor).

nlGCmFJ.jpg

My take is that folks looking for a recto sound should get a recto. The Lone Star is tighter on the low end, and has less gain. Also, the cleans are different.

The Mark V has the Lone Star cleans, but a lot more gain on tap in the other channels.

A pedal will push each of the three amps a bit differently. I equipped the LS with NOS tubes, and love it, but would recommend it to a different type of player.
I also read that many of the sound differences between rectos and the Mark V can be eliminated by putting a graphic equalizer in front of the recto. That yes the sound differences and wiring differences are there but can be compensated for.

I did get my Rectoverb 25 yesterday, like new great price, have not had a chance to really use it yet.

I also read that many of the sound differences between rectos and the Mark V can be eliminated by putting a graphic equalizer in front of the recto. That yes the sound differences and wiring differences are there but can be compensated for.

I did get my Rectoverb 25 yesterday, like new great price, have not had a chance to really use it yet.

Nice! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I'm a firm believer in EQ pedals. I mainly use mine to shape the tone of my guitars, compensate for different pickups, etc, but they can also work wonders on the tone of an amp.

Depending on a particular thing I'm working on, I use the Pettyjohn Filter (no longer made, unfortunately), and often the EQ algorithm on one of the Eventide H9s. Both are very effective tone tools. If memory serves, Mesa also makes a pedal with a graphic EQ (I prefer a parametric EQ for the type of work I do, but each has its pros and cons). With a graphic EQ, you're stuck with the frequencies chosen by the manufacturer. However, they're usually very musical frequencies in the guitar range. A parametric lets you sweep the frequency bands and pick out exactly the frequencies you want to boost or cut, but usually they have only 3 or 4 bands. Pick your poison, I guess! :)

I don’t think you can get Mark tones from a recto. But why would you want to? The recto slays. I do recommend that you take it easy on the gain (1:00 or less) and if you want more gain, use a boost pedal. That will retain the cut and keep it from getting fizzy. I just did some recording with my mini recto and I just can’t stand how awesome it sounds.

I don’t think you can get Mark tones from a recto. But why would you want to? The recto slays. I do recommend that you take it easy on the gain (1:00 or less) and if you want more gain, use a boost pedal. That will retain the cut and keep it from getting fizzy. I just did some recording with my mini recto and I just can’t stand how awesome it sounds.
I own a Soul Food and a Tube Screamer, I will try both in front of it.

Back