Luthier Recommendation? Neck reshaping.

The Pattern neck used on the HBII's .875 (7/8) at the 1st and .953 (61/64) at the 12th which per your desired is 1/16" off ideal ...
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/neck_profiles

It is always enlightening how small differences make it work . When I dyed my Special's flame maple Pattern neck I did about that much , I enjoyed it . An afternoon with some 320 grit and you could shape it to your dream .. Stewmac Nitro sanding sealer and you are a happy camper after a light buff.
I've shaped a few necks and re-shaped a few necks as well. I can't imagine making progress with 320. I start with a rasp, and then go to 80 for awhile before working my way through the grits. But maybe I also wanted to take off more than 1/16"

If you are shaping a neck that requires a big change , yes a rasp is ideal , I use a "Dragon rasp" by StewMac .However when only .125 " of an inch is in play , just sanding out the rasp gauges will take that much. The lighter approach works best for those whose intention is to fine tune rather than radically alter a neck shape. 220 is fine to start, but prior to finish ,320 will still be in there. For Novices , slow and steady helps prevent issues and they gradually learn how little is really needed.

For those interested in practice , 1" neck blanks are pretty reasonable , the last black walnut ones I got earlier this year were only $40 .

to any interested in the craft, the Guild of American Luthiers is a wonderful resource ( I'm a member)

or check out https://luthiersforum.com/forum/index.php?sid=507a75c8d6dc7e305d1cf78e6878bd13

For those with finished necks , some 3000 grit wet will "break the glaze" on your shiny necks and make them silky smooth even in high humidity like we have down here.

Love PRS HB's - hate the neck carve.
I keep buying them only to sell them off eventually just due to neck shape/size.

Ordering private stock just to get my preferred neck carve makes zero financial sense (25+ years of making a living playing sessions).
So I'm onto buying used and having a luthier reshape the neck for me but as my fav luthier (that I've used forever) has retired, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend their favorite luthier for this?

Appreciate your input.

thanks!
Atomic Guitar Works in Peoria AZ. These guys are dialed in, build their own line of guitars, and really care about the work they do. Very well respected in AZ for sure. I have taken a few guitars there for work I would not let my other luthier do (damage to the body, paint, etc.) and they always have done great work. Takes a little while (about a month out) but worth it for sure

Back