Loaners

Interesting question. I've never loaned out a guitar to someone. I'd like to think I would, but now, actually thinking about it...nope.

I've given guitars to people; a few to my son, one to a good friend, but that's different. If I did lend one to someone, I know I would automatically clean it, restring it, and set it up after it came back, because...well, I would just have to.

The odd thing is I LOVE it when a player comes over, to have them/let them play anything I own. I'm proud of them because they're all great instruments and I enjoy it when others enjoy them. But I don't feel the same way in reverse. I don't like playing other people's guitars. It makes me uncomfortable; probably because of my own OCD nature. I'll immediately see and feel things that are wrong with them: Intonation that's off, action that could be better, or just things about them that I don't care for but can't tell them because I don't want to seem as much of a d!ck as I actually am..."Oh this is great!" "really nice!".

A friend of mine just spent a fortune on a brand new signature LP model. A guitar I don't particularly care for in a disgustingly ugly finish.

He was so proud.

He insisted I play it, which I really didn't want to but did. So I played a few lines and a couple chords and handed it back to him "Oh this is great! Really nice!"
It's good to be supportive of fellow musicians! ;)

I don't think I have ever just handed one of my guitars to someone and let them take it wherever they wanted to. I have offered to loan a guitar to a couple of people that I have a good connection with and trust. None of them have taken me up on it. I have taken some of my guitars to places where some of my friends were playing and let them play it while I was there. They all know the price range of guitars they are getting to play and they all respect that and are very happy to play them for a set. I wouldn't just loan them to anyone but if I feel a connection with the person and see how they take care of their own gear, I would consider it.

Back