Loaners

giphy.gif

My SE 2 channel 20 is available to use at any open mike. story- DC Blues Society open mike 2 weeks ago. A D-bag walks in with his EC Strat, walks up to the sign in table, and announces,”Are there any decent players here? I run an open mike and know how these things work.” He gets put up with a group of very good players, they count off a tune. In 20 seconds, he realizes he’s in over his head, so he turns around, and just starts turning knobs on my 2 channel and acting like something is wrong with the amp. The deer in the headlights look is in full force. He hits the side with his hand, and I’m right there. “What are you doing? What do you want to hear.” He says “ I need more treble”. I tell him the volume and treble are dimed, just play. He’s stuck, and takes his beating. Afterwards, he comes offstage, complains he just couldn’t get his sound. I couldn’t help myself, so I said, “sorry, but it wasn’t the amp.” I wonder if we’ll see him again. He left right away.

There's not a guitar that I would loan, thin or flush, to most anyone that I wasn't sure of their treatment of that instrument. Too many are the drunk tales of getting back an instrument that has been flailed on by someone that didn't own it. I do get the impression that I could loan it to someone here, and being PRS nuts, they would treat it as I do.

No.
Nope.
No way.
Not ever.
Not to anyone.
I also don't believe in wall hooks, racks or stands.
Not even on a job. They are in my hands or in the case.
I have never and don't ever plan to borrow one either.

No.
Nope.
No way.
Not ever.
Not to anyone.
I also don't believe in wall hooks, racks or stands.
Not even on a job. They are in my hands or in the case.
I have never and don't ever plan to borrow one either.

I am almost the same - except when it comes to stands. I have just one stand, a very good stand with a neck hook so a guitar can't be accidentally knocked off the stand...

gs405b.jpg

...which I use for the 'current' player. My guitars live in their cases and I don't play anywhere other than my home but to leave a case on the floor so I can put the guitar into it should I take a break or go get a drink is not exactly the best option. Therefore I use a stand but at the end of a session, my Guitar goes back into its case. Where I play and where my guitars are kept are in different rooms. What I do is take a guitar out of its case in the room its kept and use the stand in the room I play. Even if I decide to swap to a different guitar, the other one has to go back into its case before I grab out the other. I only ever have one guitar out at a time. I don't know whether or not I would use a Stand if I was playing a gig for example and taking a 10minute break. I would feel ok that my guitar would be safe on a stand like this as far as the stand doing its job but you can't account for the audience and drunken behaviour.

The size and design of my house doesn't allow for wall hanging guitars - not that I would want to hang guitars like a PRS on just its headstock. Even if I had a guitar playing friend visit, no guitars would be on display or particularly easy to tempt them to want to try one out. My guitars are kept in my Bedroom so its not a room guests tend to go in LOL. I can think of only one friend that I would be OK with them playing in my house with my rig but certainly wouldn't be ok with them borrowing a guitar for a period of time. This friend though is a very accomplished player who takes care of hos own gear as well as being a teacher, someone I have known for over 25yrs so its not just anyone...

I am almost the same - except when it comes to stands. I have just one stand, a very good stand with a neck hook so a guitar can't be accidentally knocked off the stand...

gs405b.jpg

...which I use for the 'current' player. My guitars live in their cases and I don't play anywhere other than my home but to leave a case on the floor so I can put the guitar into it should I take a break or go get a drink is not exactly the best option. Therefore I use a stand but at the end of a session, my Guitar goes back into its case. Where I play and where my guitars are kept are in different rooms. What I do is take a guitar out of its case in the room its kept and use the stand in the room I play. Even if I decide to swap to a different guitar, the other one has to go back into its case before I grab out the other. I only ever have one guitar out at a time. I don't know whether or not I would use a Stand if I was playing a gig for example and taking a 10minute break. I would feel ok that my guitar would be safe on a stand like this as far as the stand doing its job but you can't account for the audience and drunken behaviour.

The size and design of my house doesn't allow for wall hanging guitars - not that I would want to hang guitars like a PRS on just its headstock. Even if I had a guitar playing friend visit, no guitars would be on display or particularly easy to tempt them to want to try one out. My guitars are kept in my Bedroom so its not a room guests tend to go in LOL. I can think of only one friend that I would be OK with them playing in my house with my rig but certainly wouldn't be ok with them borrowing a guitar for a period of time. This friend though is a very accomplished player who takes care of hos own gear as well as being a teacher, someone I have known for over 25yrs so its not just anyone...
Way too complicated! ;) It's great having a few guitars (if you have them) within arm's reach while you're playing. Different guitars tend to make me play differently, so when the mood strikes, I'm ready!

Way too complicated! ;) It's great having a few guitars (if you have them) within arm's reach while you're playing. Different guitars tend to make me play differently, so when the mood strikes, I'm ready!

Maybe you have the room for that - I don't!! I am not leaving guitars lying around on the floor or propped up against my sofa just to have a few extra guitars around and too lazy to put things away before getting a different guitar out to play. I know different guitars suit different moods but it takes less than a minute or two to put a guitar back in its case and grab a different one out but if that's seriously too much effort for you, I think that says it all.... LOL

I guess to each as they say. My guitars haven't seen their cases in more than a decade. They all have them, but they either hang in a darker room, or are on a proper Hercules stand in the living room. NO ONE touches my gear besides myself. It's not avarice nor greed, but they know it's just not the thing to do. Yes, they UV a bit, but out here, guitars age very very gracefully and look great with their age being worn, the constant 60% humidity doesn't hurt either. Cases themselves are an odd thing in Hawaii. I don't know what the mentality is, but gig bags seem to be the thing. I would rather my guitars be out at home, and protected than run around town on a bike or walking down the sidewalk with a basic sheet covering my git. I recently bought a new Players Series Telecaster, it's less than a month old. The GC cats looked at me like I had two heads for asking for a genuine Fender tolex case. "But our bags are much more affordable". No thanks, A case will be fine. Like said, I have them, but I haven't the room for all of them in the house, so they reside in storage. Nobody is the worse for it because I care for my instruments. When you invest as much as most here have, nobody but YOU is concerned with the upkeep of the instrument and you do so in the manner which suits you.

I will say that carrying a McCarty in a Proper PRS case through DFW airport is like lugging around a ball and chain, those cases have to be the heaviest cases out there.

Last edited:
Back