Little Disappointed in Carlos

Things were more fun before the phone cameras. I was always "in" the event, now I just freak-out over worrying about capturing it on "film".

I hate it.

Just remember:

“Get back, stay back!”

This is so true. I used to take a camera to all of my kids’ events when they were growing up, until I realized I was so busy with taking pictures that I never got to be part of the event.

I’m gonna say something almost crazy: Life was more enjoyable when I could get away from the damn phone. Now I always have one, and it’s constantly binging and bonging with emails, texts, and calls. There is no peace!

Here’s another “bong” for you!;)

Haha! Well, the dude had a foot long gray and ginger beard, was wearing a nicely tailored Country & Western suit, had the little knit beanie hat, and was buying guitar straps for band and crew. So I figured it pretty much added up.
My son works in the business with well-known artists, so regardless, I would’ve had to be on my very best behavior to spare him the shame of Tourist Dad!
Lol, I figured as much. It still blows my mind when I see all the grey in the pictures others take of me. Half the time I'm thinking "Who is that old dude?!?!"
Something tells me that your son gets a free pass. If you're not the Tourist Dad, then most assume you're faking NOT being the tourist Dad. For a while now, I've worked under the belief that for all the diapers changed, parents are not only allowed but EXPECTED to not give a d@mn about embarrassing you.
We were @ our oldest's for a High School event, and I did something he didn't like. When he said "OMG, I think that's the most embarrassing thing you've ever done", I replied with "Challenge accepted!" :D

^^^^This. If one is in the public and gets photographed the copyright of that photograph belongs to the photographer. If you are in a public place anyone can photograph you. However, the photographer does not have the legal right to use that photograph to promote a product, or otherwise profit, without a signed model release. I'm not sure I agree with the flying the drone over and filming since that would not be public place. That would be your private property.

I don't disagree, but I was SHOCKED to hear on a radio show (YMMV) that your private property does not extend infinitely upward. If you think that sounds crazy, google "air rights".
It's a crazy, crazy world we live in now!!

I forgot what interview I was watching recently, it might have been one of the Seinfeld coffee and cars things, but they talked about this person kind of being known for not wanting to take pictures. His rationale was that he was happy to meet fans and get to know them, but fans very rarely wanted to sit and chat and talk to him as a human being, they were mostly interested in a picture opportunity. He declines because usually it happens during his day-to-day life and if he stops to take one picture then more and more people will start going up and next thing you know he's mobbbed while trying to pick up a prescription or have a coffee. It made sense.

Last edited:
Lol, I figured as much. It still blows my mind when I see all the grey in the pictures others take of me. Half the time I'm thinking "Who is that old dude?!?!"
Something tells me that your son gets a free pass. If you're not the Tourist Dad, then most assume you're faking NOT being the tourist Dad. For a while now, I've worked under the belief that for all the diapers changed, parents are not only allowed but EXPECTED to not give a d@mn about embarrassing you.
We were @ our oldest's for a High School event, and I did something he didn't like. When he said "OMG, I think that's the most embarrassing thing you've ever done", I replied with "Challenge accepted!" :D

That’s a great story, “Challenge accepted,” indeed! I fondly remember my kids as high school students, when any remark I made caused paroxysms of embarrassment. It was a great time. Fortunately, because I had my studio, I got to be Almost Cool Dad as far as their friends were concerned.

I get where my son’s coming from. I’ve produced sessions with folks who tour with name bands and artists, and you lose any semblance of control/professionalism very quickly if you start gushing. It’s best to be businesslike.

Doesn’t stop me from being all braggy later. ;)

I was in Vegas this week on business, and ate at a very nice Brazilian steakhouse. Waiting outside for a cab, I looked up and there was Carlos Santana. I said hi to him and shook his hand, and asked if I could take a picture with him which he declined.

Now I am not one to get star struck and realize these folks need a life too, but a 10 second picture was going to ruin his day? This just seemed to bug me as I thought back to the Vegas House of Blues that holds about 75% of Santana merchandise.

It just bummed me out that he couldnt give just 10 second to a fan, for a picture that would have lasted a lifetime. I know he is not "that kind of guy", but the fans make the musician and it would have been nice to have him recognize that.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Can you imagine what it's like to be THAT famous for 50 years? The thousands and thousands of people who each just wanted 10 seconds of his time? Please realize this was not directed at you, and really doesn't reflect on whether he's true to his core values and beliefs. I would be thrilled that he was friendly enough to shake your hand and forgive him that for whatever reason, he just wasn't up to smiling for yet another photograph. I think you were right to ask, and he was right to decline.

at least he shook your hand. I saw Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon from the Walking Dead) at Best Buy (they film near me) a few weeks ago. I knew who he was as well as I know my own kids, but I couldn't remember his real name to save my life. So I took out my phone to look it up real quick before I made an a$$ out of myself, and he saw me and quickly said, "Hey! Put that away, you're not some kind of creeper are you?" I felt a little bad after the shock wore off, but I see why he acted the way he did. He was just trying to buy a new phone or something, and there could be some paparazzi about to take advantage of him.

Celebrities get accosted by fans and weirdos all of the time, sometimes its hard to tell which is which. He probably didn't want to take the chance of you making a profit off of him in some way.

at least he shook your hand. I saw Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon from the Walking Dead) at Best Buy (they film near me) a few weeks ago. I knew who he was as well as I know my own kids, but I couldn't remember his real name to save my life. So I took out my phone to look it up real quick before I made an a$$ out of myself, and he saw me and quickly said, "Hey! Put that away, you're not some kind of creeper are you?" I felt a little bad after the shock wore off, but I see why he acted the way he did. He was just trying to buy a new phone or something, and there could be some paparazzi about to take advantage of him.

Celebrities get accosted by fans and weirdos all of the time, sometimes its hard to tell which is which. He probably didn't want to take the chance of you making a profit off of him in some way.

Lol, I totally heard him say that in his Daryl voice! Great story.

Back