Little Disappointed in Carlos

I just know how excited I get when those opportunities present themselves, and forget that while they reap many of the benefits that they also pay their own price for that fame.

Last time I was in LA visiting my son, we were at a little leather shop where the proprietor made custom guitar straps, and Billy Gibbons was at the counter ordering straps for his entourage.

I very quietly said to my son, “I think that’s Billy Gibbons” - not that I was going to say one word to the guy (I never bother celebs as a matter of principle) but my son was evidently worried that I might do something embarrassing, and gave me the “Try to be cool, Dad” admonition.

At least he and I think alike, I guess. ;)

Things were more fun before the phone cameras. I was always "in" the event, now I just freak-out over worrying about capturing it on "film".

I hate it.

This is so true. I used to take a camera to all of my kids’ events when they were growing up, until I realized I was so busy with taking pictures that I never got to be part of the event.

I’m gonna say something almost crazy: Life was more enjoyable when I could get away from the damn phone. Now I always have one, and it’s constantly binging and bonging with emails, texts, and calls. There is no peace!

Last time I was in LA visiting my son, we were at a little leather shop where the proprietor made custom guitar straps, and Billy Gibbons was at the counter ordering straps for his entourage.

I very quietly said to my son, “I think that’s Billy Gibbons” - not that I was going to say one word to the guy (I never bother celebs as a matter of principle) but my son was evidently worried that I might do something embarrassing, and gave me the “Try to be cool, Dad” admonition.

At least he and I think alike, I guess. ;)

Nope, I couldn't have pulled it off. No matter how hard I tried to be cool and speak quietly, he'd have noticed my school-girl-pitched giggling and the big goofy smile on my face. ;)

BTW, how do you "think" you saw Billy Gibbons? Dude either does or does not have a foot long ginger beard?!? I know you were in La-La Land, but that still has to be a rare occurrence? :p

Things were more fun before the phone cameras. I was always "in" the event, now I just freak-out over worrying about capturing it on "film".
I use a camera a lot. A while ago I started making a deliberate decision regarding whether I would record the event or be part of it. As time goes on, more often I close the latter.

Mixed bag for me. I like the idea of having the pic, but I like the idea of the encounter more. A few years ago, we saw Sidney Crosby at a restaurant we were eating at. My kids (and my daughter’s then-boyfriend) wanted to go up to him. I told them to wait and let him finish. They pointed out every time someone else went up, but I held them off. When we did finally go up, I said, “I held them back as long as I could.” Crosby is seriously one of the nicest people you can meet, and he just treats people incredibly well.

If I see a celeb in a non-appearance setting, I weigh whether or not to approach. If I do, I rarely do anything other than say hi and tell them I like their stuff. It has to be a seriously special thing for me to go for a pic in those cases.

I did once see a famous comedian shopping for nose hair trimmers at a Hammacher Schlemmer store. The guys I was with wanted to go in, but I said I didn’t think that was the time he’d want someone coming up to him.

Nope, I couldn't have pulled it off. No matter how hard I tried to be cool and speak quietly, he'd have noticed my school-girl-pitched giggling and the big goofy smile on my face. ;)

BTW, how do you "think" you saw Billy Gibbons? Dude either does or does not have a foot long ginger beard?!? I know you were in La-La Land, but that still has to be a rare occurrence? :p

Haha! Well, the dude had a foot long gray and ginger beard, was wearing a nicely tailored Country & Western suit, had the little knit beanie hat, and was buying guitar straps for band and crew. So I figured it pretty much added up.

Still, he looked a lot older than the Billy Gibbons I remembered!

Hey, it’s been a long time since the “Sharp Dressed Man” MTV salad days of 1984. On the other hand, I look a lot older than the Les I remember from 1984, too (seeing Old Man Les in the mirror instead of Young Dude Les is a daily shock to the system; you’d think I’d be used to it by now, but, alas, no. ;)).

My son works in the business with well-known artists, so regardless, I would’ve had to be on my very best behavior to spare him the shame of Tourist Dad!

Sure, everyone likes to say they have a right to privacy. The truth is many courts have ruled that they don't. I can take whatever pictures of anyone I want in public, b/c you DON'T have a right to privacy in public. In most cases you only have a right to prevent me from profiting from your image that I take in profit w/o your consent. Heck, I can fly a drone over your back yard and film you, and you doing anything to the drone is MORE illegal than me filming. So, "right to privacy" is a misnomer. (Please keep in mind that many of these laws are dependent on the municipality you live in, I understand that).

^^^^This. If one is in the public and gets photographed the copyright of that photograph belongs to the photographer. If you are in a public place anyone can photograph you. However, the photographer does not have the legal right to use that photograph to promote a product, or otherwise profit, without a signed model release. I'm not sure I agree with the flying the drone over and filming since that would not be public place. That would be your private property.

This is so true. I used to take a camera to all of my kids’ events when they were growing up, until I realized I was so busy with taking pictures that I never got to be part of the event.
^^^^ And, unfortunately, this. I have so many damn photographs of kids and family. But very rare ones of me participating and few memories of any lifetime milestones.

Surprised this thread got so many posts. For me it was just a bummer to meet a true icon/legend, probably a 1 in 10000000000 chance, and would have liked to have captured the moment (though I have no social media at all). I dont think he is a bad guy at all, and I have met a lot of musicians in my time (Gene Simmons, Rod Morganstein, Rick Neilsen, Neil Schon, Steve Morse, Corey Glover, etc.) and was never in awe of them or wanted anything but to say hi. But when it comes to someone like Carlos (or Page, Clapton, etc.) it was just a once in a lifetime moment I wanted to capture. Especially since it was just me and him and no one else around to draw attention to him

Its all good. At least I can say I met the man. Maybe the handshake will transfer some of that guitar playing mojo he has to me lol

I hate it.

And seriously, how often do we go back and look at that stuff?

Unless it’s a sex video of me, Penelope Cruz, and a Mr. Turtle pool filled with Mac-n-cheese... I’m never watching this sh!t again.

My closest brush with a celebrity was when through an odd confluence of events, I got to play tennis with Mats Wilander.

He demolished me (as though I ever had a chance), which may have been why he had no problem posing for a few pics with me afterwards. o_O

And seriously, how often do we go back and look at that stuff?

Unless it’s a sex video of me, Penelope Cruz, and a Mr. Turtle pool filled with Mac-n-cheese... I’m never watching this sh!t again.
Original, White Cheddar, or Thick and Creamy?
It matters...
***EDIT*** If she's in there with you, she's prolly a White Cheddar girl...:p

Back