Little Disappointed in Carlos

AZGiant

I was in Vegas this week on business, and ate at a very nice Brazilian steakhouse. Waiting outside for a cab, I looked up and there was Carlos Santana. I said hi to him and shook his hand, and asked if I could take a picture with him which he declined.

Now I am not one to get star struck and realize these folks need a life too, but a 10 second picture was going to ruin his day? This just seemed to bug me as I thought back to the Vegas House of Blues that holds about 75% of Santana merchandise.

It just bummed me out that he couldnt give just 10 second to a fan, for a picture that would have lasted a lifetime. I know he is not "that kind of guy", but the fans make the musician and it would have been nice to have him recognize that.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Lots and lots of reasons why a famous person may oblige or decline an impromptu photo or autograph. Sucks to be denied, but honestly, if I had a fraction of the fame he does, I can't say I wouldn't be turning down ten-second photo requests when I wasn't in the mood.

Sorry you got turned down, though. I can understand the disappointment. That's a pretty off-chance encounter and I can see how that would suck to not be able to somehow get a little memento for the memory box.

We are all just human, in the end. Well, most of us are, anyway...:p

I have such mixed emotions on this. From everything I have read (I am currently reading his autobiography, btw), heard and all the interviews, this surprises me. He seems like such a humble, genuine person I would have expected him to say "yes". I just watched PRSh interview with Carlos at NAMM yesterday and that certainly reinforced this impression.

At the same time, I think how tedious and annoying it may get to constantly be interrupted and ask to oblige a selfie. I think he has the right to go out to a nice Brazilian restaurant and enjoy it without interruption.

Clearly, I don't know where the line should be drawn. But I know that if I had been in this same situation and been declined a request for a photo with my guitar hero I would be sorely disappointed.

Eh, it sucks. They don't owe us anything, life moves on.

This, however:

fyotsa7eksvr5raijuy3.jpg

Ok, he responded to your hello. Even took the time to shake your hand. Honestly I would be happy at that.

I have a hobby that put me around some famous people. I never treated them differently than the others we were with. They were not working but enjoying their hobby too. Please consider they are really just people too.

You already interrupted his day and got to say hello, shake his hand etc. I think it was gracious enough for him to give you some time and certainly doesn't have to give you a Photo opportunity. Its not about whether its 'just a 10sec' photo' or not, its about respecting his wishes. He didn't have to say hello or shake your hand. If some random stranger came up to you, you too have the option to decline to say hello, decline a handshake and/or a photo opportunity and that person should respect you and your decision so give that respect back to Carlos and be thankful that you got to shake his hand and say hello even though Carlos didn't have to give you that!

Jammin, that is the odd thing. It was just me and him, no one else around, I said hi and he said hi and put out his hand. All I have read about him is what a great person he is, and it was just a bummer to not have a memento of meeting such an influential guitar player. There really are so few left I would have loved to capture the moment

You had a chance encounter with Carlos Santana and got to shake his hand. I’d put that down as an awesome moment! Focus on the positive. You started out today like all the others, never having met and shaken hands with Carlos. Today is different. :)

I manage a local business with thousands of customers. They recognize me all the time, not so much on my part, while I'm out and about on my personal time and want a handshake and to chat. I can only imagine what would happen to my business if I didn't indulge those who ultimately pay my salary. The scale may be different BUT the principle is the same. I, and my wife who hasn't ever met any of them, ensure they each feel special and valued. I'm not saying he's a bad guy because of this but perhaps just a tad short sighted. It gets old but it's part of the game.

I have a friend, he's actually very connected in the latin rock community, he's a recording artist within his own right, his father is Lalo Guererro (the father of chicano music), and he also does a radio show/podcast/website the chronicles Latin rock. He was doing a gig with latin rock legends El Chicano and Carlos was there, they asked to take a pic with him and he even denied them. I guess it's just a thing for him, and I can't say that I really blame him.

The guys been in the spotlight since Woodstock, that's half a century, I bet he stopped taking pics with people a very, very long time ago. Fact is, you only see pics of him by himself or with other musicians, (mostly the ones he works with).

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but expecting a hippie, free-jazz, music legend to conform to the views of the selfie generation is a little ........o_O.

Back