Letting the Guitar Acclimate in the box for 24 hours

if you have a walk-in fridge you can open it in there.

Ya know, that’s a funny reply, but…….

I receive shipments at my office because there’s always someone responsible there to sign for it. The building has a back porch entryway that is not heated. Many times in winter, I have opened the package on arrival there, taken a peak, reinserted in the box, and taken it into the heated office to acclimate before opening for good. I’ve never had an issue.

I thought that was predominantly related to Nitro finishes which can and will crack/check if its not allowed to acclimatise slowly. In fact, there are people who use that exact process to artificially 'check' their guitar.

I don't know if the 'new' Finish will check/crack although I would expect those 'Nitro' finishes designed to 'age' and check to need acclimatising more (if you don't want it to check) than the older 'Poly' finishes.

Last axe I received from Daves I used a thermal camera to track the warm up. When the case was unity color for 5 hours I opened it. Right at around 20 hours after receipt.
That is brilliant! I will have to remember that next time a get one of those "wait for 24 hours" boxes!! I guess that thermal camera I got last year will come in handy, thought it was going to be a single use purchase ;~))

Back