Just a crazy thought

Wakester

Re Member
So I got thinking today (I know dangerous thing to be doing;)) and wondered if the SE245 pickups are coil splitable. Can I drop in a pair of push/pull tone pots and achieve coil split like on my custom 24? Or, will I have to go with a different set of pups? Any thoughts, experience?

Yeah, you can split any humbucker.

You’ll have to undo the tape and find the solder joint that connects the two coils and add a wire but, it’s not too hard. I did it on my SE Orianthi in 2012-13 before I became the filthy rich bourgeois 1%er I am now.

So, here's another thought :eek:

Is it possible for an amateur guitar tech like me to get training to be a "Factory Certified PRS Guitar Technician" or whatever you want to call it?o_O

My SE 245s were splitable because they had the wire taped off in the electronic cavity so naturally I added the push pull pots and I’m so glad I did. I really feel like the SE 245 pickups sound better than my dragon IIs split

My SE 245s were splitable because they had the wire taped off in the electronic cavity so naturally I added the push pull pots and I’m so glad I did. I really feel like the SE 245 pickups sound better than my dragon IIs split
I looked, and found a pair (white and green) heat sealed together coming from each pickup.

I looked, and found a pair (white and green) heat sealed together coming from each pickup.
Winning! It's a easy mod to do and well worth doing if you need cleaner sounds. I also found the wire in my sc245 and added push pull tone pots.

You might also be able to add a 5 way switch with the push pull pots and end up with 24-08 switching... If you feel a bit more adventurous

Winning! It's a easy mod to do and well worth doing if you need cleaner sounds. I also found the wire in my sc245 and added push pull tone pots.

You might also be able to add a 5 way switch with the push pull pots and end up with 24-08 switching... If you feel a bit more adventurous
The 5 way may be more than I want to tackle right now. But 2 push pulls should be easy enough.

Sure. Your first lesson is to learn to put a coil tap wire on those SE 245 pickups.;)
Hi Sergio, you sound like you've spent some time looking at PRS wiring. I'm interested in wiring the neck pickup of my Zach Myers semi in Parallel. I've heard that's likely to brighten it a little and drop the output a bit, both of which would suit me fine. Would you know what to do with the green and white paired wires for that result?
Thanks.

Hi Sergio, you sound like you've spent some time looking at PRS wiring. I'm interested in wiring the neck pickup of my Zach Myers semi in Parallel. I've heard that's likely to brighten it a little and drop the output a bit, both of which would suit me fine. Would you know what to do with the green and white paired wires for that result?
Thanks.

@garrett or @John Beef are way more knowledgeable than I am with wiring diagrams, I usually ask them. I’m just fearless (or tipsy) enough to try anything.

Back