Jazz on a CE-24 Semi-Hollow

24Semi

Hey all. I recorded this tonight, and it has proven to me that I don’t need a cumbersome (though beautiful to look at) jazz box to get some pretty legit jazz tones. I am a rock player, but I think I got a pretty respectable Ed Bickert/Jim Hall tone out of my CE-24 Semi, and a medium Fender pick. Single-note solo stuff starts after the head, roughly at the 0:48 mark or thereabout.

yeah nice tone. I would have guessed that was a full on hollow body. I'm guessing my solid body CE24 isn't gonna give you that hollow body sound. Sweet!

yeah nice tone. I would have guessed that was a full on hollow body. I'm guessing my solid body CE24 isn't gonna give you that hollow body sound. Sweet!
Thanks, and thanks to all who listened and commented.

Outlier22, you might be able to get close to the tone with a solid body. I was able to get close to this sound using a Tele, as well. I found that using a thinner plastic pick, as well as a much lighter pick attack (almost like pushing the string, rather than plucking it), gives that "rounder" sound that naturally emanates from jazz boxes. About mid-way through the solo, I unconsciously started picking a bit more heavily, and you can kind of hear more "bite." I then really backed off, which is why some of the faster runs are a bit soft. Guess it's all about minding picking intensity, but would love to hear from any skilled jazz players on their thoughts.

I'm not what I would call "skilled" in jazz but I had to study it a lot in college as a music major. A solid body and most semi-hollow guitars can get close-ish if you're not accustomed to hearing a big jazz box. The differences are in the upper frequencies which become attenuated once the tone is rolled off to emulate the darker and more resonant guitars used in jazz. Have a listen to Jim Hall and you can hear the sharper attack and then the round "bloom" under the attack as the note sustains.

I'm not what I would call "skilled" in jazz but I had to study it a lot in college as a music major. A solid body and most semi-hollow guitars can get close-ish if you're not accustomed to hearing a big jazz box. The differences are in the upper frequencies which become attenuated once the tone is rolled off to emulate the darker and more resonant guitars used in jazz. Have a listen to Jim Hall and you can hear the sharper attack and then the round "bloom" under the attack as the note sustains.

That makes a ton of sense--thanks for the explanation.

The tone I was going for is Ed Bickert's, on his solo stuff and when he played with Paul Desmond on "Pure Desmond," on which, of course, Bickert played his Tele.

Wow. I go from listening to Duane Allman playing slide, to this old song from a long time ago.
Sax player was great. Your solo was very, very good.
Thank you for posting that. G

Back