Is weight a deal breaker?

I'm ok with most any weight, but my happy place is 7-8lbs. I have had the 10lb+ monster LP's, and playing them is fine but that extra couple pounds off makes a difference; you kinda forget the guitar is there when they are lighter. I used to believe that heavier guitars equaled better tone and more sustain, but in reality...nah. It's a big nutty, brown, stinky myth.

I'm more concerned about the playability and feel of the guitar than the actual weight. This is due to the fact that I mostly play sitting down now and haven't really played live much in the 20 years.

I try to stay around eight pounds. My back isn’t what it used to be. Although I sold a 74 Black Beauty because it was too heavy and I regret it.

I don’t play guitar live anymore and when I did it was a 30-49 min set so it didn’t matter. I play sitting down now so too heavy isn’t a problem. I have found I like middle of the road. I have one guitar that I love except it’s a little more too heavy and another guitar that I would like more if it was a little heavier. It just feels too light in my hands for some reason.

Even tho I barely play out, I play standing up at home.

I don’t like massively heavy guitars, but if I found one I liked I’d suck it up and use a 3” bass strap.

I’m more concerned with neck dive. I’m bad enough at fretting that I can’t be worried about holding the dang thing up too!

I typically like a guitar with some weight but balanced. I don't typically go for light guitars . If its a nice guitar lighter ones don't bother me at all but budget ones my brain equates as toy like. I really didn't know there were people that cared so much about the weight of guitars until recent years. I used to not even think about it when buying one, now I do, power of suggestion. I've learned my sweet spot is 8-10 but my tele at 7.5+ I love. The right strap makes all the difference.

Also, do you think heavier electrics sound better? More resonant/better sustain?

Darn Steve, I was hoping you'd be the guy who could definitively answer that question!

I like my electrics to have some 'heft' to them, so a heavy guitar isn't a deal killer if I like looks, sound, feel, all that.

Now I am finding that if I have to reach waaay far out to the side to reach the frets, my back doesn't like it too much any more. I have an Explorer clone whose days may be numbered if that continues to be a problem.

You know my answer. If the sound and playability tops the scale, I don’t care about the weight...to a point. Gigged my LP Dlx for decades and used to dread the shoulder ache after a 4 hour show, and that was in my 20s! But if it sounds right and puts you in the zone, it’s what you gotta do.

As long as a guitar sounds and feels great, weight is not an issue. I use a wide strap to distribute the heft of my heavyweights.
With the whole weight to tone question, I’ve found both lite and heavy guitars that sound equally great. Also the opposite - poor sounding heavy and lite guitars. Totally guitar dependent

Darn Steve, I was hoping you'd be the guy who could definitively answer that question!

I like my electrics to have some 'heft' to them, so a heavy guitar isn't a deal killer if I like looks, sound, feel, all that.

Now I am finding that if I have to reach waaay far out to the side to reach the frets, my back doesn't like it too much any more. I have an Explorer clone whose days may be numbered if that continues to be a problem.

Dave, I have to admit it was a leading question. To me, lighter guitars don’t seen to feel as resonant and sustain as well; maybe just in my head. On the other hand, my arthritic back complains with too much heft, so I strive for a happy medium. Lower 8s seems to be ideal. I did just get a really nice 594 McCarty DC which weighs in at 8 lbs, 11 oz, and I like the feel of it. I still would prefer a bit hotter pickup than the 58/15 LTs though.

Last edited:
My back no longer enjoys it after about an hour if the guitar is too heavy - so 9 pounds is a hard stop for me. I prefer under 8, and my current favorite electrics are my 2010 Mira at just a hair over 7 pounds and my SE HB II at just a bit over 6 pounds. Both are highly resonant, sustain well, and sound great without causing me pain. I do sometimes play sitting down, but I always use a strap so it doesn't make much difference - just don't like the neck angle with my guitar on a knee, plays better on a strap.

my SCT is pretty heavy and I had a heavy LP before that I sold not due to weight. I certainly don't prefer a back breaker but if I played something that was magic I would get it.

I had one of MA Pete's super light guitars for a while (maybe obeche??) that was more weird how light it was. I dont want neck dive for sure if the body is too light

I have always owned fairly light guitars before I acquired a Santana signature model, and they are pretty heavy, but of course they sound and play like magic honey butter! I have two other custom 22's that are just fine, but I bought a really nice, fairly pricy wider padded strap for the Santana, and now barely notice the weight at all.

I used to believe that heavier, dense wood resulted in more sustain and resonance. About 15 years ago I bought a McCarty standard that’s maybe 7 lbs. That guitar changed my mind that the wood doesn’t need to be heavy or dense to resonate well. It’s got ridiculous sustain and sounds huge. It started my thought that if a guitar resonated well unplugged, that was the bigger key.

I didn’t usedta care, but I’m liking my lighter guitars more these days. My 2006 SC is starting to feel heavy.

Putting in a lot of time on my HB2

Back