Is the s2 series a coil split or tap

I was under the impression the 408 system is a coil split, but is different because it adds 1500 winds to the ACTIVE (slug) coil. This is how it achieves the no volume loss thing, and ends up a bit brighter since the active coil is hotter. Check out the "408 pickups, a closer look" (or whatever it's called) video where PRSh describes and demonstrates the system.

It's been jokingly referred to as "splap" (a combination of coil split and tap) before, maybe we should make that part of the PRS Lexicon if we're in agreeance? :)

This. Thanks justmund.

With the new Thornbuckers, are you keeping the resisters for the partial split? Or are you doing a standard full split?

Lindy Fralin recommends his partial coil split kit for splitting vintage output humbuckers, which I'm assuming is basically like the resisters PRS puts in the S2s. Not sure if all humbuckers can be wired like that or if they even should be.

Yes, I just dropped them into the existing wiring. If it can be split, it can be wired that way.

I'm not sure what Fralin is up to with his circuit. I have seen it mentioned, but no details.

You could tune the split to taste with different value resistors to let more or less of the coil to bleed through. I would think Lindy has a formula he feels works well with his pickups. I'm happy enough with the stock PRS wiring, though.

I was under the impression the 408 system is a coil split, but is different because it adds 1500 winds to the ACTIVE (slug) coil. This is how it achieves the no volume loss thing, and ends up a bit brighter since the active coil is hotter. Check out the "408 pickups, a closer look" (or whatever it's called) video where PRSh describes and demonstrates the system.

It's been jokingly referred to as "splap" (a combination of coil split and tap) before, maybe we should make that part of the PRS Lexicon if we're in agreeance? :)

I stand corrected. So the coil is actually tapped when in series with other coil. A real outside the box idea.

Do like I did and ask Seymour Duncan on Twitter. They came back within an hour with suggestions for both my LP and Tremonti and they both work lovely in split.

I stand corrected. So the coil is actually tapped when in series with other coil. A real outside the box idea.
Yep you got it. I think they do it with 4 wires (and a separate shield/ground) and a dpdt on-on switch. In normal humbucker mode you've got the screw coil completely on, and the slug coil 1500 winds short of it's full windings (it has 1500 more windings than the screw coil). In single coil mode, the screw coil is "disconnected" using the other side of the dpdt, and the slug coil has it's full windings in play.

So yeah, the slug coil is tapped in humbucker mode, then the coils are split in singlecoil mode. Very cool.

I am however surprised they didn't use the screw coil as the active coil in singlecoil mode. It's been interesting having my Mira wired so I can select either coil of the 53/10s. I'll post some vid/tones when I get a chance.

Yeah, the coil TAP is USUALLY only found on single coil pickups. Here is a good, quick video.

Love the Ibanez Super Tap 6 pickups they used in some of their SSS guitars in the early 80's. Untapped the pickup was thick but defined, tapped it was fully in Strat land.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back