Is the s2 series a coil split or tap

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Mindy-glow-dave, Oct 15, 2015.

1. kbprs

kbprs New Member

This. Thanks justmund.

2. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Yes, I just dropped them into the existing wiring. If it can be split, it can be wired that way.

I'm not sure what Fralin is up to with his circuit. I have seen it mentioned, but no details.

You could tune the split to taste with different value resistors to let more or less of the coil to bleed through. I would think Lindy has a formula he feels works well with his pickups. I'm happy enough with the stock PRS wiring, though.

I stand corrected. So the coil is actually tapped when in series with other coil. A real outside the box idea.

3. Mixstar

Mixstar Just too tired . . .

Do like I did and ask Seymour Duncan on Twitter. They came back within an hour with suggestions for both my LP and Tremonti and they both work lovely in split.

4. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Yep you got it. I think they do it with 4 wires (and a separate shield/ground) and a dpdt on-on switch. In normal humbucker mode you've got the screw coil completely on, and the slug coil 1500 winds short of it's full windings (it has 1500 more windings than the screw coil). In single coil mode, the screw coil is "disconnected" using the other side of the dpdt, and the slug coil has it's full windings in play.

So yeah, the slug coil is tapped in humbucker mode, then the coils are split in singlecoil mode. Very cool.

I am however surprised they didn't use the screw coil as the active coil in singlecoil mode. It's been interesting having my Mira wired so I can select either coil of the 53/10s. I'll post some vid/tones when I get a chance.

5. NomadMike

NomadMike New Member

Love the Ibanez Super Tap 6 pickups they used in some of their SSS guitars in the early 80's. Untapped the pickup was thick but defined, tapped it was fully in Strat land.

#25 NomadMike, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2015