Is the Custom 24 still the core of the core?

martie6621

I see many posts saying the Custom 24 is still the best selling and the flagship of the PRS "USA core" lineup? Is is still?
Just curious what some here think. Since it's the longest running model in the PRS lineup, it is still the "mostest" PRS of all? So many to choose from.....and so many people seem to be liking the S2 and SE C24s these days. Is the granddaddy of all PRS's still relevant? No bone to pick here - PRS fan here - just asking.

Last edited:
It's what I think of when I think PRS. Sure there's other models that come to mind but the Cu24 is pure PRS DNA vs an improvement on another.

Honorable mention for the Santana when I think PRS, but I doubt it is close in sales to Cu24.

The problem is the CU24 is the worst sounding PRS and it's the "flagship". Everything that is in the core lineup now is straight up a better sounding instrument. The CU24 is due for a redesign and the first thing they should do is thicken that body a bit and make them all McThick. Lengthen the scale to 25.5" too.

The CU24 is definitely the OG. For me, it is not the best PRS. The 594 has sold quite a number of guitars for PRS. I like that model much better. I also like the DGT much better than the CU24. I have been more of a lover of the CU22 than the CU24. My first PRS was a CU22. I then bought the CU24 with the rotary because I wanted the OG. I doesn't get anywhere near the play time the CU22 has seen. I have a decent number of PRS core guitars and only one of them is a CU24. If I started selling off guitars, the CU24 would get moved on.

The Custom 24 is my favorite model that I've tried. I have yet to try a couple of the other highly-regarded models here, like the Santana.

I agree, though....to me, it seems the Silver Sky, 594 variants, and (for a while) the Special Semi-Hollow were taking center stage in dealers' stores.

The problem is the CU24 is the worst sounding PRS and it's the "flagship". Everything that is in the core lineup now is straight up a better sounding instrument. The CU24 is due for a redesign and the first thing they should do is thicken that body a bit and make them all McThick. Lengthen the scale to 25.5" too.
I agree other than changing the scale length. Though it could be a cool option along with 25".

I love the CU24. It's been the core of Core forever, and for good reason.

It's got an authoritative voice, with a focused midrange that cuts through a dense mix. Both pickups are well balanced and sound equally good. For gigging or session work the relatively light weight means it's not going to cause an aching shoulder.

With this guitar stuff, context is everything.

The CU24 is an incredibly versatile and useful guitar that works in so many settings. There's no style of music it can't do well. Too often we pick these things listening to a guitar playing by itself, which is fine if you only play by yourself. In a band or session setting it is eminently sensible to have a guitar that does what these do.

Of course, that begs the question of whether it's the guitar for you; that's always up to individual taste.

My only wish is that they'd reintroduce the option of a Pattern Regular neck, which mine has. Here's a pic of it:

81aB0Cr.jpg

Last edited:
Ah the inconsistency of opinions.....so far we have:

Worst sounding of all PRS
"Flagship", "Favorite", "Perfect"
My Cu24 with 5909 is one of my best sounding instruments if not best. It's definitely my best guitar. It's a special one. Really, the fact that they have a model across all PRS lines and variations of it, with the likes of 24-08 or anniversary model is a testament in its own. And if someone wants thicker they have a fatback option.

The McCarty, fwiw is only 1/8” thicker…That’s pretty negligible …..I would think the thickness of the single cut 594’s would be a way to really beef up the tone, but then you get into LP sometimes bloated territory, for better or worse……. My CU22 and P-22 are that thinner thickness but they have a stoptail bridge and that gives them a beefier tone than the same model with a trem, but still have that PRS focused tone we all love..

Last edited:
I would welcome a 25.5 scale cu24.

I have an 86cu24 T and Bs 2011 cu24 5909s. Both sound incredible but both are different.

I would love to play a new cu24 with 8515. I really don't care for the 8515bridge but I am super curious how it sounds.

I see the CU24 as synonymous with PRS, much like the Porsche 911 is often seen as "the" Porsche. My mental image of a PRS is a CU24, though I have never owned one (and only played one a few times). It's a bit odd to me that the guitar which originally turned me on to PRS is not a guitar I am likely to actually purchase. It comes down to the match between my play style and guitar features, i.e. a Tremelo is a deal breaker for me. The CU24 got my attention before the CU22 got my love, which then shifted to the McCarty 594 (by the time I could afford a PRS). At this point, I found my perfect PRS (and purchased a few for good measure :cool:) and do not see what a CU24 would add to my playing. It's a personal taste/diminishing marginal return kind of thing. The CU24 is "the" core PRS in my eyes, but it is not "my" core PRS.

The beauty of PRS is that they make several amazing models which rival their flagship model compared to other companies which have one model and then a few interesting ideas. Those brands are concerned with taking away from the flagship where PRS seems to understand additional great models simply strengthen the brand as a whole.

I tried a lot of different PRS guitars before I discovered what I like and 10 years ago the Custom 24 became the first permanent model in my herd. In other words, for the past decade I have always owned a Custom 24 and always will. The only thing better than a Custom 24 is a Custom 24-08.

Second favorite is the McCarty 594's. I will always have at least one of those too.

Back