Is Classic Rock considered "Oldies"?

Is Classic Rock considered "Oldies"?

• Yes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • C'mon OG, get with the program, synths & guitar samples are what's up.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I'm young, but I only listen to my dad's Sabbath CDs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What do ya mean the Doobie Brothers broke up?!!!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Oh man, you missed all the fun of being a teenager on a very limited budget, and having to replace your favorite double album 8 tracks every few months. Any longer album or double album was put on thinner tape, and they wore out WAY too fast. I went through one Double Live Gonzo and one Song Remains The Same every 5-6 months! Luckily, after two years of that in my first cars, I moved on to cassettes.

And the whole design of them sucked. It wasn’t just double length ones that wore out. You might stick a newer tape in when it was really cold out, and after a few seconds of warbling, pull the thing out with a 20 foot long trail of tape still in the machine.

Put it this way...

I think a lot of classic rock is now older than the 50s/60s "oldies" were when my father was listening to them.

Totally. When I was growing up and listening to Motown that sh!t was maybe 25-30years old? Van Halen 1984 older than that, let alone The Who or The Beatles or some of that old geriatric crap folks keep blabbing on about.

....and I’m only being a d!ck about classic rock ‘Cause y’all started talkin’ sh!t about disco.... which is the finest music ever created.

Totally. When I was growing up and listening to Motown that sh!t was maybe 25-30years old? Van Halen 1984 older than that, let alone The Who or The Beatles or some of that old geriatric crap folks keep blabbing on about.

....and I’m only being a d!ck about classic rock ‘Cause y’all started talkin’ sh!t about disco.... which is the finest music ever created.

I remember listening to the radio when I was little and rocking out to some KC and the Sunshine band. Good stuff

Oh man, you missed all the fun of being a teenager on a very limited budget, and having to replace your favorite double album 8 tracks every few months. Any longer album or double album was put on thinner tape, and they wore out WAY too fast. I went through one Double Live Gonzo and one Song Remains The Same every 5-6 months! Luckily, after two years of that in my first cars, I moved on to cassettes.

And the whole design of them sucked. It wasn’t just double length ones that wore out. You might stick a newer tape in when it was really cold out, and after a few seconds of warbling, pull the thing out with a 20 foot long trail of tape still in the machine.

Ironically, I never had problems w/the 8-track player in my car. Other than having the occasional tape that needed a matchbook underneath it so the tape would line up w/the playback heads. My first car cassette player? Ate tapes at least once a month. A fair bit of warble with certain 8-tracks.

And I have to say, an 8-track gave me one of my fondest memories from my youth, but I'm pretty sure I've told that story on here several times, so I'm not going to repeat it. (I'm damn sure going to think about it a lot now!)

That’s very strange... none of those are “classic rock” and only one of then stands a chance of ever being “classic rock.” :confused::confused:

Pretty Hate Machine is 29 years old, Badmotorfinger is 27 years old and La Sexorcisto is 26 years old.

We can argue the meaning of "rock", but they're these days they're all pretty classic. The kid who grew up listening to Iron Maiden is now someone's grandfather.

Pretty Hate Machine is 29 years old, Badmotorfinger is 27 years old and La Sexorcisto is 26 years old.

We can argue the meaning of "rock", but they're these days they're all pretty classic. The kid who grew up listening to Iron Maiden is now someone's grandfather.

This is all so very true.

Oldies, growing up in the early 70s, were late 50s thru mid 60s...about 15 years in the past. The late 60s were still pop and relevant...Elvis and the Beatles were tearing up the charts. Now, 15 year old music makes up much of the pop airwaves/YouTube/Pandora while 40 year old music continues to carry the ‘classic’ rock label (I’ve called the 50s-60s stuff vintage rock’ for comparison). It’s like nothing was written from 1990-2005. The classic rock venues have switched to modern-ish country and there’s few places that want 70s rock played live. *sigh*

While I was playing in rock cover bands starting in the late 70s, I was also hitting the under 18 discos every weekend...that’s where the chicks were. And having those dance moves at the high school dances was cooler than slinging a Les Paul, sadly. :( While I wasn’t playing disco in my car’s 8 Track deck, I didn’t hate it as much as I pretended. Plus, my girlfriend really liked that dancing. ;)

Oldies, growing up in the early 70s, were late 50s thru mid 60s...about 15 years in the past.

Now, 15 year old music makes up much of the pop airwaves.

It’s like nothing was written from 1990-2005.

And having those dance moves at the high school dances was cooler than slinging a Les Paul, sadly. :(

Thanks Boogie for some real insightful stuff!! (..and forgive me for not knowing how to do multiple quotes:oops:)

-The 1st statement is DEAD ON THE MONEY, and a lot of people don't realize it.:rolleyes:
-15 year old pop tunes?......... well I don't know your radio market but that's not how it is here in the Bay Area.:cool:
-RE:1990-2005 - I think nothing WAS written during that time period.:D
-I grew up in da hood, the hoodiest hood in SF, as the only Greek kid for miles and the only non african american on my block, becoming the funky white bwoy with some moves on the floor wasn't cool..................... it was a matter of survival.;)

.....still, gitpicking got me just as much attention.:)

Now, 15 year old music makes up much of the pop airwaves/YouTube/Pandora while 40 year old music continues to carry the ‘classic’ rock label (I’ve called the 50s-60s stuff vintage rock’ for comparison). It’s like nothing was written from 1990-2005. The classic rock venues have switched to modern-ish country and there’s few places that want 70s rock played live. *sigh*

This must be regional. It could be my perception, but it seems like anything post 1990 is still considered "modern" rock and still in regular rotation alongside stuff like the synth heavy modern alternative.

It kind of makes sense... synths and samples aren't exactly new and modern rock hasn't really evolved that much.

Back