Introducing the Mira-kinda-408 standard ;)

Dan-d-1985

Perpetual lurker
Just finished a further mod on my Mira this weekend.

If you remeber, the first stage was to open up the original toggle switch so I could fit a 3rd 500k pot and re-wire the Mira to have 2 volumes and a master tone (a la DGT) and moved the toggle switch up:

11344402294_4cd496387e_c.jpg

An idea some friends put forward would be to fit a 2nd toggle for independent tap capabilities.

Got new pots from crazyparts.de and are the brass shaft 500k pots and I got 5 SPST on/off switches from eBay for around £7 including shipping

I was also looking to change the p'ups as the Mira stock p'ups were missing the grunt I wanted.

Easy part first: I was returning the cu24 to stock and took out the HFS/VB I'd fitted.

They're now in the Mira (i'm not sure the zebras work in this guitar however - they're growing on me, but the all black mira standards looked better IMO).

Anyway, I've also fitted a 2nd tap switch and wired it with the new p'ups. I also used much thinner wire than the lst time so it's a bit neater too and used a 0.022uF cap from Mojo pickups here in the UK (they are the supplier for stew mac also - look for them re-badged as emerson's new ROHS compliant caps)

It's really tight, but it's all in there and sounds fantastic. So far, I'm loving the VB split and the HFS in bucker mode.

I'm having trouble finding the source of what sounds like a ground hum, but everything is fully grounded as I've rung through all components.

11761021946_ca2f015147_c.jpg

11760705804_d5a2e2a9d2_c.jpg

11760297335_7a2f63fca8_c.jpg

I also recorded a quick example of the differences. I played 3 examples - a G chord, a small lead line and a riff section for a song i'm trying to finish.

All are DI'd into the computer so you can hear the differences most clearly I hope!

Mira Mod audio demo

It follows the same pattern in each example:

-Both full bucker
-Bridge Tapped Only
-Neck Tap Only
-Both Tap

All set with 3-way in mid position only. You know what HFS and VB sound like on their own and tapped already!

If you can't hear the file, let me know. I had to do some silly stuff with dropbox for it to let me share files for some reason. I'd recommend having VLC for playing this as it plays everything imaginable that i've come across.

For not much money (and a couple extra holes), the Mira has gone from a fantastic guitar to a phenomenally versatile guitar.

Well that is certainly an advantage of a gtr with a pick guard - lots of mods with out redrilling.

Very cool.

Back