Intonation issues

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Steve R, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Steve R

Steve R New Member

So I have a Paul Allander sig model, I play in drop c and use 11-54 gauge strings. I have another prs guitar that has an identical setup and intonation is great. But on this one I tuned the open note, and fretted the 12th fret and every note is sharp. I have moved the Saddles to their max and every note is still sharp. Anyone have any advice or tips? This has been driving me crazy, I don't see what I'm missing.

#1 Steve R, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. dkilpatrick

dkilpatrick Makes guitar faces

I'm guessing the scale length is different on the other prs? You could cut the springs behind the saddles to get them as far back as possible or maybe use a heavier gauge string?

3. Steve R

Steve R New Member

Same scale length, same bridge, same strings, that's what's throwing me off so badly, it's basically a mirrored setup and I have a drastically different result

4. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

Did you stretch the strings out beforehand?

5. Steve R

Steve R New Member

I put fresh strings on, stretched them and even played on the for a bit to get them stretched and holding a tune well, but still every string is sharp at the 12th fret. Would adjusting the truss rod make much of a difference? I just noticed the neck has a little more curve than I like.

6. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Could very easily be the truss rod. PRS truss rods are more sensitive than any of the other brands I`ve owned. a little tweet here or there can make a world of difference. Also check the bridge saddles, I`ve gotten a couple of guitars used where the previous owner decided to "fix" the action, They`ve diddled with the truss rod and saddles, and ended up with a hot mess.

7. Steve R

Steve R New Member

I went through everything, bridge, Saddles, action, and truss rod, while it did improve the intonation, it's still off a little