I really dig YouTube for guitar lessons

If I were to open a music store with instructors make sure all the instructors even the older ones like me were able to do searches and find the material that the student wants to learn. Learn it and prepare the lesson to match the student's skill, but also tell him/ her this is a simplified version, so you can play along with the record, when you get better we can go over it again to learn the harder parts.

Because when I was learning I thought I knew the song and the older guys ridiculed me for playing the version I was playing.

If the student knows they just learned the easy version they won't be deceived in thinking they got it down. So the bully guitarists (and lets face it there are plenty of bully guitarists out there) could not make fun of them. because the students wont try and pass off what they know as the real deal, they tell their friend, yeah this is what I learned so far, as in I have more to learn.

I also would have rooms with scype so that a student would be able to learn from home and in the store. and the instructor does not have to miss out on a lesson if the kid can not come in. I have heard of excuses like he/she is "sick" ok fine scype with me if your feeling up to it, or my brother has a soccer game and mom can't drive us both (which is a real issue) ok scype to the rescue. If the mom knows you can do that she might push the student to not skip the lesson. Because the coach will bench the sibling for missing practice but the instructor will not refuse the student for missing a few lessons right?

If I were to open a music store with instructors make sure all the instructors even the older ones like me were able to do searches and find the material that the student wants to learn. Learn it and prepare the lesson to match the student's skill, but also tell him/ her this is a simplified version, so you can play along with the record, when you get better we can go over it again to learn the harder parts.

Because when I was learning I thought I knew the song and the older guys ridiculed me for playing the version I was playing.

If the student knows they just learned the easy version they won't be deceived in thinking they got it down. So the bully guitarists (and lets face it there are plenty of bully guitarists out there) could not make fun of them. because the students wont try and pass off what they know as the real deal, they tell their friend, yeah this is what I learned so far, as in I have more to learn.

I also would have rooms with scype so that a student would be able to learn from home and in the store. and the instructor does not have to miss out on a lesson if the kid can not come in. I have heard of excuses like he/she is "sick" ok fine scype with me if your feeling up to it, or my brother has a soccer game and mom can't drive us both (which is a real issue) ok scype to the rescue. If the mom knows you can do that she might push the student to not skip the lesson. Because the coach will bench the sibling for missing practice but the instructor will not refuse the student for missing a few lessons right?

I think that you have raised an interesting topic re: your 1st comment above. It is about time that more guitar teachers started integrating internet based lessons with their instruction. Maybe others disagree, but I learn best when I can watch a good video along with the tab in case I need it. Where a live teacher comes in (IMHO) is that they provide you with feedback on how you are doing and make sure you are headed in the right direction, especially if you are having difficulty in learning something. I have learned a lot of songs and technique from lessons on the internet, but my music teacher has also taught me a lot as well and has really made me "stretch".

I also do some teaching and I am a big believer in integrating the internet with personalized instruction. I also subscribe to the "learn how to play the song from beginning to end anyway you can" as a 1st step and then over time embellish it and make it better. This approach works really well with beginners to beginner intermediate level players. They need to have fun while they learn how to play, or they will stop playing. Last but not least, ear training is a very important part of learning how to play the guitar and can be taught specifically. Some old folks like myself learned to play the guitar by wearing out groves in vinyl records learning songs and solos (as least as best as I could learn them). The more you do this, the sharper your ear becomes and you start to develop your own voice. First you learn to figure out chords to a song, then solos. This is a skill that can be learned. Before really working on ear training, it would be good if the student has a basic understanding of music theory (When a song is in the key of A minor, what chords are likely to show up in the song (example - C major)

OK - I got all that off my chest in one go. I am sure other have different opinions and welcome other opinions.

I really like this guy at Creative Guitar Studio
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7vw9BHKDZhpke_mnJD4UqQ

He does some really in depth technical stuff & theory.

:adore:
:beer:

I know that we all learn differently, but most YouTube lessons (posted here and elsewhere) just don't seem all that useful to me. Either they are just plain wrong in terms of trying to quickly come up to speed on a cover tune, or they are so painfully slow that you loose patience after 30 seconds. It is just so much quicker to just listen to the song and figure it out on your own. Maybe if I were more in to the theory aspect of it, it'd be different.

I do love it when you can see the original artist in detail playing the song that you're trying to cover. These were done for another forum, but I really dig this kind of video. In this case, it's the infamous Ed King, in his pajamas, demonstrating Sweet Home Alabama. Sure, it's simple, but when you see him break it down, it's so much quicker to pick up the little nuances that make it what it is. His comments that accompanied the videos were kind of cool... One... never play on the down beat on the guitar. That's for the bass player. It kills him when he hears cover bands where the guitarist plays on the down beat past the first measure of the song. Two, the solo had to be in G, even though most people consider the song in G. He was given a bunch of grief on that as people wanted him to do the solo in D.

And in its full glory back in the day...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Godsmack tune stuck in my head, so I figured out on my own how to play it before checking Jen's video below, I was just stuck on one part, a very simple finger move at 4:00 for the bridge.

How to play "Keep Away" by God Smack (rhythm guitar only) - Jen Trani

Not YouTube related, but I just found a Facebook game ( and iOS app) called guitarbots. I suppose it's something like a childish RockSmith for play station and Xbox, but it relies on an external mic... And you run out of "picks" (the number of times you can play a song, kind of like energy in other games), unless you pay them like $20/month, lol.

Anywho, I thought it might be something the kids would have fun with, but it's entertainingly frustrating since you spend most of the time trying to time out when the game will register the note as played perfect, instead of when it should be played, since there's a delay from the time you play to the time it registers.

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas - chords and riffs, how to play on guitar, lesson tutorial

Saw this new one yesterday of an old song I use to listen too long ago.
The first part of the riff is easy, I figured it out without watching the vid.
Will sit down with the video next weekend and work on the chords.

Either Palladia or the other music channel on cable had a great special on Kansas a few weeks back on how they formed and became popular, a must see for any Kansas fans.

The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Girl - chords, lesson, how to play on guitar Jack White

Marty is busy, another new one from him today.
I have never heard this Jack White one before.

'Walk All Over You' AC/DC Guitar Tutorial [Malcolm]

I already figured out this song with no YouTube help over the weekend, just did it by ear.
One part though with the fast change from D back to A and back again, this guy showed me an easier way by just staying on the A chord and using the ring finger to hit the third fret on the B string when doing an A to make the A sound like a D chord.
I still use the D chord for the slower parts, but using the above method makes it easier to play during the fast part.

The guy who does these videos YouTube blocked quite a few of them awhile back, but some of them are still up.

Places like Y'tube are the future for guitar lessons or at least an additional resource for learning. One on one with a good teacher is still the best way but Youtube provides a vast and (for now) free resource
I agree but before diving in to lessons make sure you tell the teacher what YOU want not what he wants. At the end of it you're paying for it so should get what you want. When I restarted playing about five years ago I went to the local music college for a brush up and all the teacher wanted me to do was 'discover notes' on the fretboard. He'd tap a note on the piano and expect me to find it on the guitar, after the first four or five I did explain to him I can do it all day if he wanted but I wasn't going to pay for it, I play piano FWIW. The second guy I found was happy to teach and jam which is really what I wanted but I love YT for lessons, there are tunes I've wanted to learn for years but could never get them properly from sheet music, YT filled that gap.

Last edited:
New one in from Guitar World Magazine.
Going to practice this one, as I have trouble with off beat stuff, as I do better with 4/4 time stuff :D
I like how he says "Good luck" at the very end, yeah, I need all the luck in the world to pull that off.

One Piece to Master All Metal Techniques with Metal Mike

Great stuff here. I'm going to have to check out some of those sites. ProGuitarShop.com and Dave Wiener for sure.

I have found that it's hard to find a good teacher. I think it's probably best to have a one on one.

Easy Song With 3 Chords - Buddy Holly - Peggy Sue - Super Easy Beginner Songs On Acoustic Guitar
For the acoustic players, Marty put up a fresh vid yesterday.

After watching the 2015 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Awards Sunday, I figured out this song kind of playing along to Green Day as they played here.
Here it is on YouTube though.
First version is not tuned down 1/2 step, and he starts on G.
When I played it to the TV I did not know they were tuned down, so it started out as a F# on my guitar.
Marty's version in the second video he tunes down 1/2 step.

How to Play "When I Come Around" by Green Day on Guitar

Green Day - When I Come Around - How to Play on Guitar - Tutorial

Great lesson Marty, I have been following you for quite some time. Your approach is phenomenal. Very easy to understand. I turned my brother Bill onto your page, and it has helped jim immensley.

Youtube is just such a fantastic wealth of resources. I use ot for everything from music lessons to learning how to adjust a garage door opener. Amazing content and I am just so thankful for those who take the time to share their talents and knowledge.

Two weekends ago I spent a lot of time learning this song by watching a few videos, but I think this guy's may be the best one yet that I just came across.
I have most of the rhythm down, but still getting the opening riff down pat.
I think this guy does the best explanation of the opening riff.
Have not viewed part II yet, but I see he has a ton of videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarLessons365Song/videos

Hells Bells Guitar Lesson Pt.1 - AC/DC - All Riffs

Found another video this morning with another take on Hells Bells.
I think this one and the one above are perhaps the best two on YouTube for learning it.

Hells Bells by AC/DC - Quick and Easy Guitar Lesson

Back