For me: features in theory and in practice

BrianC

more toys than talent
I was a collector and home player before, I started gigging at 55. I thought about what it would be like to play out and what I would do in great detail my whole life before that.

This guitar for this song, that guitar for that song. Coil tapping and humbuckers and where they would fit in. Pedals, effects and multi- channel amps.

I had about 12 core PRS and a sea of equipment in tow.

Then it happened! Time to practice thanks to a career change, finding a better teacher and YouTube how to lessons. Then...

BAM! I'm in a band. Then another and then another etc. Then it really happened - I'm in a band that gets out of the basement and I'm on stage playing out.

All of the things I thought were important were not. All of the things I thought I might need or do were very different.

12 varied core models down to 4. 2 CU24s 1 P24 trem and an SCT. Numerous pedals down to a wireless and a board with wah and delay.
Pretty much just using one channel on the amp and the volume knob on the guitar.

All the bells and whistles were not useful. The Swiss Army knife approach was much more practical useful and dependable in a band situation.

Similar to you Brian.
I was in bands in high school, then life/work/kids happened and I didn't get back to it until age 45.
Over that twenty years I've had various guitars, amps, and digital gear.
In our cover band I like the versatility that the Kemper and Kabinet can provide, and have pretty much settled with that over the past 3 years.
That and 2 guitars and I'm good to go. I don't use a lot of effects, and I might use 20% of what the Kemper can provide, but I love the simple form factor.
I'm really happy with where I'm at... so far...:rolleyes:

I've never taken more than one guitar to a gig. Never saw the need.

I always bring 2 just in case one has some sort of catastrophic failure. Only ever play one, though, never had to go to the backup.

I used to have several pedals and a tube amp, now I'm much happier to just use my Helix LT, and I only ever even use one preset on it for our whole setlist.

I blew a D string on my 594 soapie last gig, two songs before the end. Because of the stability of the bridge and tuners I could have limped through the last 2 songs.
Didn't have to limp through as I had the spare all tuned up and ready to go.:D

There were a few times I actually took 2.
Very few times though and not anymore.

As far as pedals in a live situation, the biggest pedalboard I ever owned was 20 X 7.5 and had 7 pedals on it.
I feel that a pedal that is used for only 1 chorus in only 1 song is not worth the real estate it takes up.

I take two guitars to every gig. Mostly for the emergency backup but I'll often pull out the second guitar for the last set or if I feel my playing is flat. Sometimes switching the guitar helps liven me up.

I went through a period where I was breaking strings all the time. Usually the D. I figured out what was going on (playing too hard when the drummer dragged) and haven't had any recurring string issues. I do however have a death grip on the neck when I play so I put serious wear on strings so a backup guitar is prudent so downtime in the middle of a set would be minimal if a do break a string.

I also have a decent sized gig bag with back ups of almost everything. I only take one amp. I do have spares for tubes but not for fuses. I keep telling myself to put a spare fuse in the gig bag, but I always forget. I've only had to swap out a tube during a gig once. It was outdoors and cold as a witches...well, you know...and one power tube started flaking on me.

The only time I may take a second amp is if I'm trying out a new amp and need the "old tried and true" as a safety blanket. Switching amps would be a huge pain, however. Due to postage stamp sized playing areas (not even stages) I would likely need to leave the second amp in the car. And depending upon parking that could end up a couple of blocks from the gig.

Good to hear Brian.

If I played out again, I would probably take an acoustic and the Dirty 100 or violin. Maybe just a hollowbody if I was space constrained.
Don’t take it personal, but a database error declared you unlikable today. I found it funny.

I take one guitar to a gig. I do take a PRS Gear gig bag with extra chords, strings, fuses, and everything except duct tape I might need. And I have a tech 21 fly rig In there in case my amp goes down. I can go right into the PA with the fly rig.

Good post, OP. Once I got rolling, I wanted one of everything and sometimes doubles. Everything was theoretical until in a band mix for the first time. I also spent a lot of time fussing over pedals and things like that. Now I know from experience that I like a really good clean tube amp, a Helix LT and one of a handful of go-to band guitars. I still have a killer R8 and various guitars that stay at home, but these days, it's either a Fender-style single coil, a SG, or my PRS SSH. And, yes, the PRS can do it all reasonably well (except for the jazzmaster).

Also, I can count on my hand how many times I've broken a string. It's just the way I play -- slower and less frenetic lead/support than power rock or heavy rhythm. So, yeah, there's an extra pack in my gig bag, but that's it.

This man has evidently never, ever broken a string.

That is true. Never on an electric guitar (we're talking about a great many gigs beginning in the late '60s). I have a light touch. But I've broken them on acoustics.

If I did break a string, I'd put in a new string. Doesn't take very long. I always brought spare sets of strings.

Now all of my gigs are on advertising music projects I compose, and even then, no string breaks.I've also only ever taken one guitar to outside studio gigs (mostly I record at my own place), including overseas gigs.

I'm just that person who likes to travel light. But in the early days, I didn't even know anyone who owned more than one electric guitar!

Last edited:
That is true. Never on an electric guitar (we're talking about a great many gigs beginning in the late '60s). I have a light touch. But I've broken them on acoustics.

If I did break a string, I'd put in a new string. Doesn't take very long. I always brought spare sets of strings.

Now all of my gigs are on advertising music projects I compose, and even then, no string breaks.I've also only ever taken one guitar to outside studio gigs (mostly I record at my own place), including overseas gigs.

I'm just that person who likes to travel light. But in the early days, I didn't even know anyone who owned more than one electric guitar!

On a studio gig I could see where changing a string is no real big deal. But when you are in a bar and only part way into a set and everybody in the bar is watching and waiting for you to put on a new string...That's how Eric Clapton got the nickname Slow Hand.

On a practical level, I really only *need* one guitar to make it through a gig. But part of the fun of playing live is using a few different ones throughout the set or night. I bought my guitars to play them, not hang them on a wall.

Also, it's interesting to go back and listen to/watch tapes of the shows. Sometimes you can even hear people in the crown commenting when a new guitar makes an appearance.

For a brief, 45-minute set in the city, it's always a PRS and something with a hard tail. If it's multiple sets, that's where it gets much harder to choose a third axe!

When I gigged, I was a bassist playing originals and actually brought a backup for string breaks for a while.

Now I’d be playing covers and would bring a second PRS for alternate tunings probly.

Last edited:
Playing out is my thing! Congrats on getting out its really an eye opener to be looking at the audience instead of the other way around

Usually one guitar per gig, basic effects and my F1 and I'm ready to rock anything!

Great thread. I agree, there’s much to be said for simplicity. Load ins/outs, mid-gig equipment changes are a pain with more gear, not to mention more opportunities for failure, all it takes is a patch cable, a power supply, the more pieces/variables in the rig, the more risk.

It’s fun to have all the gear and guitars, but in a live situation, even aside from the logistics of using it all, there’s also the issue of needing to stay in the right sonic space. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but switching guitars and “voices” depending on amps, pedals, whatever, can screw up a mix if not done correctly. I like to have fewer sounds, and just use them to play the material, without the urge to jump around to 100% nail a tone, for example a cover gig. Get a few great sounds that work, and go!

This man has evidently never, ever broken a string.

Same here... probably less than 10 broken strings my whole guitar lifetime, and usually only when they’re way overdue for a change. Having a light touch helps, as well as good, newish strings and good guitars, properly set up. Even when I do give it some gas, my PRS are great with strings.

Back