I play rock to hard rock...90s style...is the SE silversky just not for me??

Russ73

The title says it all....I have a line on one but am I just better off with another one of the many HB offerings for my next guitar??

Alice in chains...Soundgarden....black sabbath although not 90s.... I play with a 90s music cover band...rock from that era....want a bolt on as all my guitars are PRS 5 to be exact and one LP...all glued neck...

I would wait to see if others can substitute humbucker type single coils in the SS SE. Those typically need deeper routings. I wouldn’t want to be that Guinea pig unless you know for fact. I know the current hope is that these are routed deeper to allow more mods than the regular SS allows. If demand is great I would imagine there could even be a secondary market of pickguards for HSS but I wouldn’t hold my breath that exists for months

Yeah im gonna wait it out a bit....besides I'd really like to play one first if I can ...

Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) uses Strats, as does a number of 'Rock' guitarists...

The routing on the SS SE looks like it won't accept a standard HB in the bridge but you could always 'copy' Murrays pick-up configuration...

Guitar-Bass-August-20.jpg

Although, as you already have a lot of HB guitars,you may want something a bit more SC like - it worked for MANY rock/hard rock guitarists and may actually benefit some songs/bands as the thinner sound isn't competing with other frequencies (Rhythm, Bass etc) and becoming a bit more muddier.

Red Hot Chillis used a Strat too - another 'Rock' band!

Last edited:
Shortly after the SS came out, I was at Disney World and I heard a band playing Crazy Train. I wandered over and the guitarist was playing a new Silver Sky (a red one). The rest of the set was hard rock (80s and 90s mix) and the SS covered everything. I chatted with the guitarist after, and he said he was still putting it through its paces, but was very impressed with it. I’ve only had my SS for a couple of weeks and it’s very versatile and I think it handles hard rock/90s stuff very well (IMO/YMMV). I think you’d be okay with SS SE.

Aren't SE SS positions 2 & 4 "humbucker" mode?

BTW having a bolt on in the arsenal is exactly why I picked up a SE SS. Everything else I have is is glued or neck-through.

If you use a lot of gain, and from that band list I would expect you are, then the single coils are likely going to be noisy depending upon which switch position(s) you like to use. That may or may not be an issue depending upon your tolerance for hiss. I've found that while playing it isn't too bad, but once everything stops, the noise can be quite significant and annoying to both you and the audience. A good noise gate may be your answer. I've used an ISP Decimator II G String in the past. It currently isn't in my rig because I'm not gigging with a high gain setup. The Decimator works great. Completely kills the noise and does not screw with your tone. However, it is quite expensive and with its 4 cable set up it will likely turn your pedal board into a spaghetti chart.

All this is from regular single coil guitar and high gain settings experience. I do not have a Silver Sky, but I ass/u/me it would act about the same as most SSS guitars in this situation.

Shortly after the SS came out, I was at Disney World and I heard a band playing Crazy Train. I wandered over and the guitarist was playing a new Silver Sky (a red one). The rest of the set was hard rock (80s and 90s mix) and the SS covered everything. I chatted with the guitarist after, and he said he was still putting it through its paces, but was very impressed with it. I’ve only had my SS for a couple of weeks and it’s very versatile and I think it handles hard rock/90s stuff very well (IMO/YMMV). I think you’d be okay with SS SE.

I've seen Mark Tremonti and Eric Friedman both use a Silver Sky in Tremonti. Worked well.

To me, the question should be "does it sound good to you?" If you can make it work, it doesn't really matter what the "right" guitar for the genre is. There are plenty of Strats and Teles throughout hard rock and metal - hell, most everyone knows by now that LZ1 was recorded with a Tele. John 5 plays metal on a Tele (humbuckers, to be sure, but still). Emil Werstler plays metal on a hollowbody, and he's played jazz on a 7-string.

Seriously though...I just feel more sonically prepared by having at least one of each, a humbucker, preferably a SC with a set neck and a SSS bolt-on. Having one or more of each just about covers all I will ever want to play.
That being said, you do you man. The best way to really know is to try one out before making the call either way.

Last edited:
It could be done. At one time I was using a Strat with three single coils for metal, though the tone was never quite as fat as it is with a humbucker equipped guitar. If you dig the Silver Sky but need it to have a little more oomph, you could always swap out the pickups. Seymour Duncan has a number of single coil sized humbuckers and there are also some great high output single coil options from Bare Knuckle, the Impulse and Cobra are outstanding for a big fat metal tone, if more of a alt rock or grunge tone is what you're after, the Slow Hand would be a good option to look at.

Back