I like yer nuts

I hope to have your same experience over this weekend. I bought an SE Standard 24 recently and decided it needs a new nut. Our PRS bro The Fight had an extra core nut laying around and was kind enough to mail it to me. Will let everyone know how it goes. With any luck maybe I can do it tonight...

It literally took me 30 seconds to swap them. One of the easiest mods I've done and when I tuned it back up with 10's it was like butter and has held tune very well

i swapped out my SE One stock nut for a core nut and I have to say I am quite impressed by tuning stability and the fact that it was substantially heavier than the regular SE One.

That is all...carry on! :D

Ditto! Agreed, easy 30 second upgrade!

squirrel.jpg

When making the replacement, does the core nut have to be modified? What type of glue do you use?

When making the replacement, does the core nut have to be modified? What type of glue do you use?

I did not have to make any mods to the Core nut when I put them on the SE Bernie, or the SE One. I used a very small dab of super glue. IIRC, that is what they use at the factory as well. Also, the old ones came out with a small jewelers screw driver and a light tap one the side with a small hammer.

I did a little dab of super glue as well. I scored it really quick with a razor blade and used a spare piece of wood that I had for a trem block and a quick tap of a hammer to get the old one off.

Thanks, looks like i'll be ordering a couple for my Santana and Zack Myers SE's...

Well, I'm pleased to say the nut change was very easy and has solved my problem with a dead B and E string played open. Grabbed an old wooden ruler and one light tap of the hammer and the old one came right off. The core nut, which my PRS friend The Fight sent me, was pretty much a perfect fit. I put a couple of drops of medium viscosity cyanoacrylate (that's super glue!) in the slot and stuck the core nut in there. Set the guitar aside and let it sit overnight, then strung it up this morning. I could definetly tell the difference, and mainly the open B and open E are now sounding great.

It really is a great cheap, fast and beneficial upgrade. Open chords do have a bit more sparkle to them and like I said before no nut binding is always nice :D

Back