I broke my Hamate!

Lola

❤️guitar
Long story short. The other day I was helping my hubby early in the morning to get some stuff done! We had 4”x4” pavers on the deck standing up in a line. One of them fell off the deck and nicked the edge of my left hand. It hurt like %*#+. I went to the hospital. It was a lovely big long wait because I wasn’t a priority. Anyhow, after all was said and done I had fractured my Hamate bone. It’s directly right below my forth and fifth finger. My hand and partial wrist are splinted and wrapped like a mummy. I have Percocets for the pain. So I will be incognito for 6 weeks. It’s depressing and devastating because I am thinking the worst. I asked the doctor looking after me how this would affect my guitar playing. First question out of my mouth. He said we’ll have to see. He said I was very lucky that the brick didn’t land flat on my hand. I could’ve ended up with a crushed hand.

I won’t be here very often for a bit sorry I am being somewhat immature. I am so depressed over this. Guitar is my life and now I have 0. Sure I can do strumming patterns with my right hand and look at lessons online but mentally it makes me even more sad.

Last edited:
Oh no. Take care and get well soon. Do you have/can you borrow or rent a small keyboard/synth, play with one hand?

I have taken to wearing heavy industry safety gloves from Hex Armor whenever I am doing stuff outside that could even sort of hurt my hands, it's saved me from at least one finger getting crushed by a large rock!

Sorry to hear that. A sudden hand injury is always a possibility. Perhaps its time to practice left hand hammer runs and hammer chords.

Hope it heals fast and well!

Rest up and heal, hopefully you'll be back at it before you know it!

Long story short. The other day I was helping my hubby early in the morning to get some stuff done! We had 4”x4” pavers on the deck standing up in a line. One of them fell off the deck and nicked the edge of my left hand. It hurt like %*#+. I went to the hospital. It was a lovely big long wait because I wasn’t a priority. Anyhow, after all was said and done I had fractured my Hamate bone. It’s directly right below my forth and fifth finger. My hand and partial wrist are splinted and wrapped like a mummy. I have Percocets for the pain. So I will be incognito for 6 weeks. It’s depressing and devastating because I am thinking the worst. I asked the doctor looking after me how this would affect my guitar playing. First question out of my mouth. He said we’ll have to see. He said I was very lucky that the brick didn’t land flat on my hand. I could’ve ended up with a crushed hand.

I won’t be here very often for a bit sorry I am being somewhat immature. I am so depressed over this. Guitar is my life and now I have 0. Sure I can do strumming patterns with my right hand and look at lessons online but mentally it makes me even more sad.
This just sucks! I am so sorry to hear about your injury!! Cliche as it may be, stay strong and know that all will be good in not too long!!! Remember this is NOT your fault, so do NOT even go there ;~))

I already wanted to rip this brace off. I think I will. Just splint my baby and ring finger. At least I can play with my thumb and two fingers.

I remember having surgery on my ulnar nerves that run through your elbow and forearm. I sat there thinking how long.?! I was extremely frustrated and got out my husbands cutting shears and ripped it off. I know I was stupid for doing that. I was none worse the wear for this though. I started playing. You can call me impatient ti the ninth degree.

Praying for a quick and complete recovery.

Oh that sucks......hope all turns out well.

I'm always thinking about injury at my job.

We just set a new truck scale Monday and all went well. I'm ALWAYS very clear with my signals to crane operator AND I always give that look to the operator when I'm about to get in danger zone. If I don't see his hands come off controls then I stop. Period.

We just set a new truck scale Monday and all went well. I'm ALWAYS very clear with my signals to crane operator AND I always give that look to the operator when I'm about to get in danger zone. If I don't see his hands come off controls then I stop. Period.
Are you in Construction? I am fascinated with construction equipment and big rigs. I love watching the cranes downtown Toronto working. I could be there for hours and watch.

Sorry I got distracted! Lol

Please be very careful. Think about what your doing. Proceed! No bionic hands for anyone yet.

You ppl are just so compassionate and caring.

Thanking everyone from the bottom of my ❤️!

High five!!!

Oh, wait...

scrubs-todd.gif

This is my absolute favourite truck!! A beautiful rotator truck worth 1 million dollars. When John comes down our street I am out the door. It’s like Christmas morning for me. I am in crazy love with this truck.

You ppl are just so compassionate and caring.

Thanking everyone from the bottom of my ❤️!
Yes, we are, but... you need some tough love too. I'm assuming you're over 20, so leave that stinkin thing on as long as the doctor says. I'm learning the hard way that the older I get, the more time I have to give my body to heal, and pushing it only makes the injury last longer. Be patient! Wait til the doctors tell you to take it off. Immobilizing something is a PITA, but the longer it truly rests, the quicker it heals!

Yes, we are, but... you need some tough love too. I'm assuming you're over 20, so leave that stinkin thing on as long as the doctor says. I'm learning the hard way that the older I get, the more time I have to give my body to heal, and pushing it only makes the injury last longer. Be patient! Wait til the doctors tell you to take it off. Immobilizing something is a PITA, but the longer it truly rests, the quicker it heals!

2he8hj.jpg

Back