How to stop noodling on guitar?

mmax

So, noodling it's like just playing random nots that can't sound good. And I have this problem. I learn scales, a bit of arpeggios, lick. Try to play them on backing track, but I can't imagine different phrases and melodic lines in my head. I can just play licks that I learned and a lof of noodling:( How can fix it? I'll be appreciate your answer cause I really frustrated with this question

Try writing some music.
It’s the anti-noodle.:)
That kind of says it. Start and finish with intent and you can call it a song.

The more different things you try to play, the bigger your vocabulary for what goes between the start and end.

Different genres. Different rhythms. Different ways to get to the next note: slide, hammer, trem, bend, tap…

Learn some songs, or at least riffs. I find that jazz riffs expand my repertoire most, as they go to a different place than blues/rock and open up possibilities you wouldn't have otherwise come up with.

There are multitudes of specialized free lessons on-line and tons of books available.

Put 64oz of water into a 1 quart saucepan
Put on amplifier, max volume
Bring water that remained in pan to a roiling boil
Insert noodling
Use your scales to flesh out some saucey licks
Feed saucey licks to fingers and gyrate vigorously
Serve on backing track
If fingers bleed, you played about two minutes too long
Rinse and repeat tomorrow

Or, try all the stuff listed above by others! Best of luck, hope this recipe works for ya', it's all I got!!

Learn some songs, or at least riffs. I find that jazz riffs expand my repertoire most, as they go to a different place than blues/rock and open up possibilities you wouldn't have otherwise come up with.

There are multitudes of specialized free lessons on-line and tons of books available.
Could you please share these lessons?

Imho, Ya gotta focus on phrasing, dynamics, attack, melody, play with intent, (which is the Opposite of noodling), give space between lines
.oh yes, and Tone.. And try to develop your own playing style. No small feat, but certainly worth the effort.
And stop noodling! It’s a real bad pointless habit
here’s a list of a few guitarists and others that do all this extremely well in no particular order
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Warren Haynes
Jeff Beck :eek:
Jimmy Herring
David Grissom
Tommy Emmanuel
Joe Zawanaul
Wayne Shorter
Miles Davis

a bit of an opposite take here, but If were in your shoes, I would set a goal to Learn a song note-for-note. Period. Don't worry / focus on the theory. It seems simple, but it will open up so many new doors for you. After you have it down and can play it without thinking about it, THEN go back and figure out what is going on (theory-wise). You'd be surprised how empowering this can be.

Imho, Ya gotta focus on phrasing, dynamics, attack, melody, play with intent, (which is the Opposite of noodling), give space between lines
.oh yes, and Tone.. And try to develop your own playing style. No small feat, but certainly worth the effort.
And stop noodling! It’s a real bad pointless habit
here’s a list of a few guitarists and others that do all this extremely well in no particular order
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Warren Haynes
Jeff Beck :eek:
Jimmy Herring
David Grissom
Tommy Emmanuel
Joe Zawanaul
Wayne Shorter
Miles Davis
Thanks ☺️

a bit of an opposite take here, but If were in your shoes, I would set a goal to Learn a song note-for-note. Period. Don't worry / focus on the theory. It seems simple, but it will open up so many new doors for you. After you have it down and can play it without thinking about it, THEN go back and figure out what is going on (theory-wise). You'd be surprised how empowering this can be.
It's good advice, also thank

So, noodling it's like just playing random nots that can't sound good. And I have this problem. I learn scales, a bit of arpeggios, lick. Try to play them on backing track, but I can't imagine different phrases and melodic lines in my head. I can just play licks that I learned and a lof of noodling:( How can fix it? I'll be appreciate your answer cause I really frustrated with this question

I'll often start off with my favorite licks but try to keep my creative mind open, hear a new melody or left turn or twist in my head...and then find the notes.

Slow down and listen.

We all let our fingers do the walking, but try to hear what you want to play before you play it, and practice that.

Often we can't sing our favorite licks because there's not a strong melody. So try singing some new melodies while you're noodling and then find the notes to play them or add to your usual auto pilot licks.

What'll come out will probably be a combination of your favorite auto pilot licks and some new, more melodic twists on that stuff.

This is opposite of my advise, but would work as well.. different approach… whatever works…..
if you’re into it, learn the guitar solos from Eat a Peach (Mountain Jam) and the song You don’t love me from Allman Bros live at the Fillmore….. there’s an encyclopedia of amazing improv from Duane Allman and Dickey Betts…….2 guitarists who mixed blues, rock, jazz and country together.. and Tone!
and after that, Whippin Post!

apparently we all have different definitions of what noodling is. I do it to warm up, and to practice. By my definition its playing riffs and phrases that aren't specifically a note for note part of a song. So when I warm up with riffs, partial scales, etc... that's noodling. So by my definition, I'm not sure how it's a bad thing.

Back