How to DIY a Home Studio

I tried all of these, it's almost like a Sharpie isn't the answer to the coverup. NEVER thought those words would come out!
wigguzN.jpg

Thanks for the kind words gents!

This is what I have. I can send it along if'n you want it.

3aea80f4-0bbf-41e5-a331-9a7e58b47f5a.jpeg.w960.jpg

This is what I have. I can send it along if'n you want it.

3aea80f4-0bbf-41e5-a331-9a7e58b47f5a.jpeg.w960.jpg

I can't say for 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that's the same one on the far left in my pic. Didn't work. :(

I'm about to get a fine paintbrush and the black paint, to see what I can do. Either that, or just make sure there's a guitar hanging in front of that seam...

I can't say for 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that's the same one on the far left in my pic. Didn't work. :(

I'm about to get a fine paintbrush and the black paint, to see what I can do. Either that, or just make sure there's a guitar hanging in front of that seam...
Try a store that has art supplies. There are finer black markers out there.

Try a store that has art supplies. There are finer black markers out there.

Good idea, thanks! Something tells me that I'm going to have to wait to find an open art supply store though.

A little bit of progress yesterday. We decided that we liked the wallpaper so much that we'd extend it into a couple of walls in the studio nook. I didn't have enough paper, so I ordered more. It came SUPER quickly (and the pendant lights showed up), but...

pukYSuE.jpg

Ran out of wallpaper adhesive! :( Picked up more today, so I should be able to finish up.

Also, I've been making progress on the next four projects for the room... :D

aYrKe5z.jpg

If you put an amp in front of that old washer/dryer hookup you could watercool it :D
Better yet, jack that amp into the 220 outlet and now your making music!

Or both!!!!

Another cool update today: The nook is fully papered and setup for completion! A couple of tiles and some baseboard (in that order), and I can put the desk in.

5zvZi9d.jpg

It's been a bit, so current status:

TgyaY84.jpg

jYKpOPM.jpg

Intimidated? I'm not intimidated, you're intimidated!! Why would I be intimidated?? I mean, it's not like I have inches of clearance on the top and bottom, and if I screw it up I ruin my wallpaper job!!

htL3ezK.jpg

Laying it out on the floor, checking tolerances with my two tallest guitars.

hMLpb11.jpg

Intimidated? I'm not intimidated, you're intimidated!! Why would I be intimidated?? I mean, it's not like I have inches of clearance on the top and bottom, and if I screw it up I ruin my wallpaper job!!

htL3ezK.jpg

hMLpb11.jpg
Measure twice, cut once!

Doug, one thing that's tough to grasp from photos is size. What are the approximate dimensions of this space?

Looks great! love the wallpaper. Great project!

Doug, one thing that's tough to grasp from photos is size. What are the approximate dimensions of this space?

Looks great! love the wallpaper. Great project!

Thanks I appreciate that!

The main rectangular part of the room is about 11' x 13, with two little bump outs from there that were the old closets. One is about 5 x 5 (where the safes are) the other is 6 x 5 (where the desk/studio nook is).

I had the plan in mind, but was really excited to see if it came true after the guitars went up today. The goal was something interesting that didn't detract from the guitars, and I'm calling it a win!

Measure twice, cut once!
Hell, it was more like "measure twice, double check, measure again, put up tape, measure, level, measure, drill first hole, measure, put up first section, measure..." :D

To start, I measured out where the cabinet will be, and taped a line off for that. Then I measured out the location of each of the 4 sections, and taped it off too. I was double checking against the layout on the floor pic above, total heights, and that it was all centered on the LED lighting.

DreamTheaterRules, this whole wall, including the safes, is about 18-19'. That's how I can fit (2) 4' StringSwing sections and have room left over.

QWQKtgY.jpg

Next, I measured out the stud locations, and marked them on the tape. I transferred those measurements over to the String Swing sections (SS), and drilled through at the stud locations. I then held the SS up on the tape, and marked through the new hole onto the tape with a sharpie, and pre-drilled a hole. After that, I put up the first two sections, checked for level, and verified that everything fit.
tlVIQFX.jpg

Next, I repeated the same process for the other two sections.
rH61y5U.jpg

Once it was installed, I put up the first guitar in the place of honor, stepped back to admire, and snapped a pic (or two). :D
JnZ0JNZ.jpg

j1MzYhJ.jpg

Then I moved a bunch of stuff back into the room, to see how the layout came together.
KYXtea9.jpg

Everything there is pretty spread out, there's actually room for 4 more in just the 3 currently filled sections, plus another 5 in the one that has the cab in front of it. There's plenty of room left for the cabinet I'm building, and space left in the room.

As I was saying, the wallpaper looks great behind them. Cool, but not distracting. The lighting works well too, it lets me keep the rest of the room dialed down and have good light on the guitars. I'm pretty psyched with how that wall looks, now back to the other projects.

Thanks I appreciate that!

The main rectangular part of the room is about 11' x 13, with two little bump outs from there that were the old closets. One is about 5 x 5 (where the safes are) the other is 6 x 5 (where the desk/studio nook is).

I had the plan in mind, but was really excited to see if it came true after the guitars went up today. The goal was something interesting that didn't detract from the guitars, and I'm calling it a win!

Hell, it was more like "measure twice, double check, measure again, put up tape, measure, level, measure, drill first hole, measure, put up first section, measure..." :D

To start, I measured out where the cabinet will be, and taped a line off for that. Then I measured out the location of each of the 4 sections, and taped it off too. I was double checking against the layout on the floor pic above, total heights, and that it was all centered on the LED lighting.

DreamTheaterRules, this whole wall, including the safes, is about 18-19'. That's how I can fit (2) 4' StringSwing sections and have room left over.

QWQKtgY.jpg

Next, I measured out the stud locations, and marked them on the tape. I transferred those measurements over to the String Swing sections (SS), and drilled through at the stud locations. I then held the SS up on the tape, and marked through the new hole onto the tape with a sharpie, and pre-drilled a hole. After that, I put up the first two sections, checked for level, and verified that everything fit.
tlVIQFX.jpg

Next, I repeated the same process for the other two sections.
rH61y5U.jpg

Once it was installed, I put up the first guitar in the place of honor, stepped back to admire, and snapped a pic (or two). :D
JnZ0JNZ.jpg

j1MzYhJ.jpg

Then I moved a bunch of stuff back into the room, to see how the layout came together.
KYXtea9.jpg

Everything there is pretty spread out, there's actually room for 4 more in just the 3 currently filled sections, plus another 5 in the one that has the cab in front of it. There's plenty of room left for the cabinet I'm building, and space left in the room.

As I was saying, the wallpaper looks great behind them. Cool, but not distracting. The lighting works well too, it lets me keep the rest of the room dialed down and have good light on the guitars. I'm pretty psyched with how that wall looks, now back to the other projects.

I love it when a plan comes together!

htL3ezK.jpg

hMLpb11.jpg
Good idea. Lefty guitars take up more space.

This week being Earth Day, the last few days' work was basically "Recycle, Reuse". Meaning: I spent HOURS pulling nails, cutting off caulking, and sanding down all of the old trims for the room. Baseboards, quarter round, door trim, crown molding, etc.

In the hall, the closet door is trimmed back in, baseboards laid out, and the lower crown trim in place:
1RbAJWG.jpg

In the room itself, I started laying out and prepping the baseboards. The replacement tile should be in tomorrow, so the key for the rest of the weekend is to get the Ditra down, prep the baseboards, and move the safes to the other side of the room (again...).
Studio nook:
YJVzs7l.jpg

Safe corner:
ZIJEvAx.jpg

Not a lot of interesting stuff there, but getting the tiles down over the next couple of days should be a game changer!

Back