How Rugged are PRS Guitars

That's a video I'd love to see.
Given how rugged a PRS is, and how good even soft cases have gotten, I feel pretty good about my guitar holding up well for years to come. As long as there are no head drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mira had been in my trunk in its original PRS hard case when I got t-boned right near the trunk area of my car trying to make a left turn. The pictures used to be on BaM. Needless to say the guitar became a wedge block for a split second in the trunk. When I pulled the guitar out it was for sure broken but the police officer couldn't tell because of how it had broken. Sheared pretty cleanly at the heal joint. Entire neck was still in one piece except for the heal. Was able to get it repaired and still play it. Still stays in tune just fine. Might be missing some paint in that area because it is way harder to find the color it is in but yeah I would say they are pretty damn strong.

Definitely more rugged than a certain other manufacturer's set neck guitars with headstocks that snap in two if the guitar gets knocked off a stand.

I did a search for broken PRS head stocks and got back a few images of actual PRS. I ran the same query but for another brand and let's just say got back a few more than two images.;)

Last edited:
I'm the person who wrote the second quote in the OP, and I don't go back and forth anymore...I'm all gig bag, all the time with my solidbodies. I do use the hard case for my HB1, but it's such a great, ergonomic case, it's a lot easier to carry than a standard hard case.

I used the PRS bags for a number of years and recently moved to mono bags. I've got a single and a dual M80. They're great. I'm sure there's some situations I'd use a hard case for, but I'm not in them frequently. At least twice a week I'm loading gear into my car to play or rehearse and the bags have done a stellar job of protecting gear and making transit easier.

Thanks for checking in David and the update.

I wasn't sure if any of you guys that I quoted would want their names dragged into another forum, so my apologies for not giving credit to you and the other gentleman.

Back