How Rugged are PRS Guitars

NomadMike

Today I brought my Mira into work for some show and tell, and of course it was in it's usual ProTec soft case/rigid gig bag. One guy mentioned that I was sure taking chances with using anything other than a hard case (guess what he plays). So far so good with the Contego case as the Mira while in it has, tipped over landing face first, back first and on it's side, been bumped, slid off the back seat during a stop and other oops and aw sheet moments and come through without even needing to be re-tuned.

So doing a little digging I found the following on TGP...

I'll never forget watching PRSh, at the 1st PRS Forum Event in 2000, *literally* throw his personal Dragon, in a gig bag, 5' into his car trunk. When one of us expressed surprise, Paul replied, "Don't worry, I design my guitars for it."

I go back and forth between the two. I do notice though that a large percentage of the artists that come in for Experience PRS are using gig bags and not cases, and these are guys (Kenny Greenberg, David Grissom, Johnny Hiland) who are flying in for the gig. They're pretty nice gig bags though.

So besides being a little lucky (no top of head stock landings), how tough does PRS design and make it's guitars to be? If I was still a working musician this would be one helluva feature that would get my interest.

PRSi are pretty tough but they are still wood with tension on the necks, If I was an artist or PRSh I might use a gig bag but I keep mine as special pieces that I use and play so I carry the cases.
I do wish PRS had lighter / different cases ( more form fitting ) as they are large and heavy for non ATA cases

Even my SE's are incredibly solid. My first one survived several nasty falls, no case, all of which smacked the headstock and neck. Hard enough to put some nice dings in the finish each time, but no structural damage whatsoever. The neck joints seem to be about as strong as I've found on any guitar.

I think there's a couple vids floating around of Paul actually jumping on unfinished necks, trying to snap them and he can't. So I would fathom that some bumping and jostling in a gig bag is no big deal.

well, I have some PRS guitars and I use gig bags 95% of the time. Never had any kind of problems with that.
I used to be a guitartech of a PRS artist here in Brazil (Xandao from O Rappa) and he only have PRS on the road. HE is always changing the guitars on the rack (they travel in a case) but his #1 is a Modern Eagle 1 and tha guitar saw lots of action and do takes lot of the abuse of being in the road for almost a decade. All the PRS guitars stay in tune like no other and are far more consistent the most guitars I've ever seen.
Right now I am working for another major artist here in Brazil and he only uses Gibson SG's. I have to tell you that my life isn't as easy as used to be. It's really hard to make them stay in tune and they aren't so stable, the neck is always working and I have to set up them too often for my taste.
Anyway, the problem to me with PRS is they look so awesome that they don't look like a guitar that can stand the abuses and etc. They do!!!

I bought my CE when I was 19 yrs old and it has traveled the Con US, been in a trailer that flipped over, been stage-dived with, fallen off the stand, and generally abused... it's still ticking and the only things that I've needed done were fret jobs and replacing a pot. I gotta agree with Alex, these things are tough as nails.

I see now...you guys get the wooden ones!

All of my PRSes are made of glass, so I have to take extra-special precautions with them.

Mine must be made of glass too... the ladies never seem to notice when I'm playing.

Hah! I've reached the age where I'm absolutely invisible to women. I might as well be a derelict in an alley as far as they're concerned. An object to be ignored, no longer a guy. A thing.

An old thing that one ignores.

But that does take the fun out of betting on whether your guitar will survive the trip. ;)

Guess it depends on the trip. My road case did an excellent job of protecting my Les Paul but also dented a car, ruined a cabinet door and made one of my arms longer after dragging it through the streets of Europe. It was great to sit on waiting for the guy with the Mini to pick me up, though the guitar and case had to go on ahead as only one of us would fit. ;)

Next time I'm opting for the gig bag at least after the plane flight.

Last edited:
PRS guitars are more macho than Lloyd Bridges.

Rugged? There was a famous story on BaM - a forum member's neighbor had his house burn down. His PRS guitar was in the house in it's case. It suffered some damage - but was still in tune when the case was opened.

PRS guitars are more macho than Lloyd Bridges.

I had the good fortune to meet Mr. Bridges about 30 years ago. He may have been macho, but the was also a tremendously nice, polite and gracious person. He was one of those men who leave a lasting, positive impression. Sorry for the derail.

I'm pretty careful with my guitars but I have a friend who is known to be somewhat abusive. He had a gold (front and back, not just the top) McCarty rosewood that suffered several falls on and off stage, some un-caught tosses and several instances of having the headstock used to play cymbals. It had a few dings but no cracks or failures.

well, I have some PRS guitars and I use gig bags 95% of the time. Never had any kind of problems with that.
I used to be a guitartech of a PRS artist here in Brazil (Xandao from O Rappa) and he only have PRS on the road. HE is always changing the guitars on the rack (they travel in a case) but his #1 is a Modern Eagle 1 and tha guitar saw lots of action and do takes lot of the abuse of being in the road for almost a decade. All the PRS guitars stay in tune like no other and are far more consistent the most guitars I've ever seen.
Right now I am working for another major artist here in Brazil and he only uses Gibson SG's. I have to tell you that my life isn't as easy as used to be. It's really hard to make them stay in tune and they aren't so stable, the neck is always working and I have to set up them too often for my taste.
Anyway, the problem to me with PRS is they look so awesome that they don't look like a guitar that can stand the abuses and etc. They do!!!

I love this testimony! That sums it all up right there!

That sure does! I found some old recordings of gigs and can't count how many times I can hear myself tuning my Les Paul.

Too bad the first thing guitar players see is the looks before they see the sound and build. ;)

So head stock breaks are rare, neck stability is excellent, hardware top notch, finishes don't wear out; are there any weak points to the build of these things?

Last edited:
You have to look really really close, but that is actually my Zack Myers SE holding up the fine planet on which we live...so I'd say pretty sturdy...

sturdy_zps4cf05122.jpg

So head stock breaks are rare, neck stability is excellent, hardware top notch, finishes don't wear out; are there any weak points to the build of these things?

The finish can fade under the right circumstances.

Back