How many times have we done this……….

I LOVED the way the 305 played (that I went to Willcutt to buy) but it was too far the other way from my bright strats, so I bought the JP12BFR instead. That and the only DC3 I ever played, but left me wanting different pickups, and weren’t swap friendly. I ”hope” the Silver Sky cures all this… but it hasn’t functioned for months now and I’ve been busy so it sets in a bag not being played. I am going to take it in soon, now that vacations and other summer activities are slowing down.
The 305 is the guitar all PRS players wish sounded like a Strat.

I think it’s the pickups. I have not loved the sound of any guitar with those pickups.

The 305 is the guitar all PRS players wish sounded like a Strat.

I think it’s the pickups. I have not loved the sound of any guitar with those pickups.
Totally agree. Classic (great) strat tones in a guitar that played and felt like a PRS, would be the greatest strat type thing ever! A normal strat style pick guard, and they’d probably still be making those… and there probably never would have been a Silver Sky. A pickup swap with some nice singles in the red 305 I played would be a lifer!

Like Les, I am just not a strat guy. I have tried to be many times over. I have just never been able to mesh with any of them. At the same time I am a sucker for rosewood necks it might be worth it to.....NOPE NOPE can't do it sorry lol
Got the original guard. I even have a Purple Pearloid one coming!! Now I need a purple Trem arm tip!!:cool::cool:She’s a keeper.

Last edited:
I can't play a strat. I can barely play anything else but that is another story. :)

I have tried a few strats over time and never was able to gel with them. I don't sell much but I sold them all. I do want a nice one just to have around for certain things and to maybe learn to be able to play the crazy thing but so far can't find one worth buying to try. I do have a Gene Baker "strat" with a HSS set up and a Brazilian Board. It has lovely sounds and I mainly plunk around on it with clean tones and my fingers due to my picking always hitting the middle pickup. :(

I can't play a strat. I can barely play anything else but that is another story. :)

I have tried a few strats over time and never was able to gel with them. I don't sell much but I sold them all. I do want a nice one just to have around for certain things and to maybe learn to be able to play the crazy thing but so far can't find one worth buying to try. I do have a Gene Baker "strat" with a HSS set up and a Brazilian Board. It has lovely sounds and I mainly plunk around on it with clean tones and my fingers due to my picking always hitting the middle pickup. :(
I always hit the volume knob when I get a bit fired up. Nitrile or rubber” O” rings under the knob take care of that really easy. Not only for the Strat…..

I could never bond with Strats. I gave up many years ago on them.
I would like to try a Fiore at some point. A white one!
Or if PRS does an HSS Silver Sky…..:p
In reality, I’m just a humbucker guy….
Id trade them in on a core Santana …

Somehow missed this earlier, but I wanted to point out...

The Guitar Shop Mod Shop does HSS Silver Skies (Core and SE) all the time... this one's mine:

But in reference to the OP, these are my Strats... I searched for years to find them; they're perfect for me and they're going no where...
TXUzvRs.jpg

Last edited:
I only have 1, Strat, it’s in a class all it’s own, can’t really compare it to the others, LPs, etc, they all have there moments during my journey to playing more, they all have the ability to keep you playing, that works for me.

Hmmm a bunch of non Strat guys , for me its short scale guitars , tough to find ones I sound good on

Back