How many times have we done this……….

Sybo

Jim
Sold and then re- bought…………

Still shook up about the news of Boogie:eek:but.. my name is Jim. Jim loves guitars.Jim loves PRS made guitars that are plain not flamey . Jim is boring.

As my friend Jak3af3r and some have noticed, I never found Strat “ type “ that rocked me… I have had multiple brands and two different Silver Sky’s and they all have gone away. I have had my eye on a FenderAm Pro that has been hanging around for a while at GC. Confounded guitar, I kept coming in to find if it was still there. What am I thinking, they all sound like a Strat, thinner sounding than what I am called towards, it’s a Strat. :rolleyes:

I feel a bit hypocritical, as I always downplayed the quality control and issues that seemed synonymous with Fender and me. Well, I caved. I know and respect this being a PRS gathering, but how many have done the exact same thing? I cannot be alone..

oh, we talk about when you pick something up and that first( and lasting) feel and tone that is just right. No matter how many times you bought and sold the same…….yup this one has got “it” . Rings SUPER loud unplugge, chimey, not as thin as so many Strats I’ve played. It doesn’t say PRS on the headstock, but it will stay , at least for a while..

When you find a good ringing example of that kind of guitar, it’s hard to get out of your head, because not all from the big F are like that these days.

There was an episode of TGP where they went to a vintage guitar shop, and Dan played this crazy ringing vintage strat, and I couldn’t believe he didn’t buy it. It was stunning how much thicker and fuller it sounded than the others they played.

I’ve had so many S and LP style guitars. I think it’s a love hate kinda relationship. Love the iconic history of both models, but hate what I do with them, and current QC issues with both. I have a lot of OCD issues lol! So minor things tend to bug me, that others could easily look over. With that said, I’ll probably own more of each model lol! Glad you found a keeper, if only for a little while! Play that thing, and enjoy every minute!

Sold and then re- bought…………

Still shook up about the news of Boogie:eek:but.. my name is Jim. Jim loves guitars.Jim loves PRS made guitars that are plain not flamey . Jim is boring.

As my friend Jak3af3r and some have noticed, I never found Strat “ type “ that rocked me… I have had multiple brands and two different Silver Sky’s and they all have gone away. I have had my eye on a FenderAm Pro that has been hanging around for a while at GC. Confounded guitar, I kept coming in to find if it was still there. What am I thinking, they all sound like a Strat, thinner sounding than what I am called towards, it’s a Strat. :rolleyes:

I feel a bit hypocritical, as I always downplayed the quality control and issues that seemed synonymous with Fender and me. Well, I caved. I know and respect this being a PRS gathering, but how many have done the exact same thing? I cannot be alone..

oh, we talk about when you pick something up and that first( and lasting) feel and tone that is just right. No matter how many times you bought and sold the same…….yup this one has got “it” . Rings SUPER loud unplugge, chimey, not as thin as so many Strats I’ve played. It doesn’t say PRS on the headstock, but it will stay , at least for a while..

Desert sand? I’ve been eyeing one with a RW neck.

Edit: Sybo, you inspired me. Pulled the trigger; something about a RW neck. I do intend to put a pearl guard on like yours.

Last edited:
I have a G&L Nighthawk I bought new in 1983. I got lucky and found a good guitar early on. Still have today.

I did own a prs 305 for a while. I sold it because it was too much of a jump from my HB guitars during live shows. Kind of wish I still had it.

I have a 2011 cu24 with 5909s that sounds fantastic and of course myn86 cu24 sounds fantastic as well.

I have a G&L Nighthawk I bought new in 1983. I got lucky and found a good guitar early on. Still have today.

I did own a prs 305 for a while. I sold it because it was too much of a jump from my HB guitars during live shows. Kind of wish I still had it.

I have a 2011 cu24 with 5909s that sounds fantastic and of course myn86 cu24 sounds fantastic as well.
305 is a lovely guitar. The look and feel is all PRS, and the tone is nice but darkish. Silver Sky is the ticket for me.

My bad experiences were more discovering, after selling a guitar, that it was better at doing what I wanted than anything else before or after. I’ve done the sell-then-can’t-live-without-it thing with three guitars in my life: a 1972 Gibson SG, my original 2006 PRS 513, and two PRS NF3s. I have, as of last month, rectified all three!

Lesson? If you connect with it, get it. If you get it, keep it!

Desert sand? I’ve been eyeing one with a RW neck.

Edit: Sybo, you inspired me. Pulled the trigger; something about a RW neck. I do intend to put a pearl guard on like yours.

If I was a Strat player, I'd want that. It's so sweet-looking. I'd keep the original guard - it's cool and pops the neck more. But that's just me.

If I was a Strat player, I'd want that. It's so sweet-looking. I'd keep the original guard - it's cool and pops the neck more. But that's just me.
Like Les, I am just not a strat guy. I have tried to be many times over. I have just never been able to mesh with any of them. At the same time I am a sucker for rosewood necks it might be worth it to.....NOPE NOPE can't do it sorry lol

Like Les, I am just not a strat guy. I have tried to be many times over. I have just never been able to mesh with any of them. At the same time I am a sucker for rosewood necks it might be worth it to.....NOPE NOPE can't do it sorry lol
11 Top's new one is very, very pretty though. I really dig the look.

@sergiodeblanc . You do know the definition of insanity :D:p
I've done the same thing though. Tried for years, thinking if I buy better and better Strats, eventually I'll find one that I love and that gives me those tones I've chased for years... and for years it always yielded a nicer and nicer version of a guitar that was ice picky and I still didn't like the way they played.

I've done the same thing though. Tried for years, thinking if I buy better and better Strats, eventually I'll find one that I love and that gives me those tones I've chased for years... and for years it always yielded a nicer and nicer version of a guitar that was ice picky and I still didn't like the way they played.
Now I buy PRS Strat-alike guitars that feel different and I enjoy playing them, but don’t like the way they sound.

F**k me.

Like Les and Steve, I am just not a strat guy. I have tried to be many times over. I have just never been able to mesh with any of them. At the same time I am a sucker for rosewood necks and a bridge humbucker and it might be worth it to.....YEP YEP had to do it sorry lol

FIFY (actually, for me)

Now I buy PRS Strat-alike guitars that feel different and I enjoy playing them, but don’t like the way they sound.

F**k me.
I LOVED the way the 305 played (that I went to Willcutt to buy) but it was too far the other way from my bright strats, so I bought the JP12BFR instead. That and the only DC3 I ever played, both left me wanting different pickups, and weren’t swap friendly. I ”hope” the Silver Sky cures all this… but it hasn’t functioned for months now and I’ve been busy so it sets in a bag not being played. I am going to take it in soon, now that vacations and other summer activities are slowing down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back