How it started...how it's going (Custom 24 refinish content)

Endnote

To make a long story short, the Jade finish on my 30th Anni. Custom 24 started fading from Jade into some kind of mustard/olive/mash green. Not my cup of tea. I decided to get it refinished locally here in LA by Pat Wilkins who's done work for me before and has always done a fabulous job. Anyhow, I only had him refinish the top, which was more of a trans green. When I've got it all put back together maybe I'll do a celebration post. Disappointed that it faded the way it did just being in my house all this time. But the refinish made it even better than it was originally. The back of the guitar (not pictured) is a dark transparent green that is hard to capture in photos, but beats the hell out of a black painted back. I included one picture from when I first got it:

(Faded) before:

And after:

Last edited:
Beautiful! That's a very bright, striking color befitting of a 30th Anniversary CU24 for sure! You nailed the "attitude," if I may call it that, of a modern CU24's look.

However, may I also say... I kind of dig the mustard/olive/mash green that your original Jade finish faded into. Perhaps if it had been on a more vintage-designed guitar (like a McCarty, for instance) with rosewood fretboard and natural back I would have left it. But your new version looks great--especially against the contrasting/black ebony fretboard and fancier inlay.

Just curious, what were the storage conditions that led to it fading so quickly? i.e. exposed to direct sunlight much of the day, etc.?

Went from "overcooked broccoli" to looking like an Emerald!

Good call.

Beautiful!
Haha! "Overcooked broccoli" was on point. Last time I overcooked broccoli, that was the definitely color that it resembled. Much better now!
Just curious, what were the storage conditions that led to it fading so quickly? i.e. exposed to direct sunlight much of the day, etc.?
Don't necessarily think it was the storage conditions as it was hanging on a wall in my house that gets no direct sunlight, and I've only taken it out of the house a couple of times to get setup. Pat gave his opinion on why it faded so quickly, and he wasn't a fan of the way PRS did the finish. And since I'm no expert I just took his word for it.

Never saw this happen with my other PRSs, so who knows.

I kind of like the starting color. Kind of a pea soup look. Still, it's hard to argue with the end result. That's a fine looking instrument either way.

Back