2024-Updated Core Custom 24-08?

I feel like I got lucky. I just picked up a 24-08 and it's a 2023 with the 85/15s that are TCI tuned.

I don't know what the actual difference in tone is compared to the non-TCI tuned 85/15's or the TCI's from Pauls Guitar, but I use the heck out of the taps and the full humbuckers. I really appreciate that there isn't much of an output difference like my other SE CU24 that I converted into a 24-08. Sounds like I did good in getting one before the pickup change.

I feel like I got lucky. I just picked up a 24-08 and it's a 2023 with the 85/15s that are TCI tuned.

I don't know what the actual difference in tone is compared to the non-TCI tuned 85/15's or the TCI's from Pauls Guitar, but I use the heck out of the taps and the full humbuckers. I really appreciate that there isn't much of an output difference like my other SE CU24 that I converted into a 24-08. Sounds like I did good in getting one before the pickup change.

To be clear, when I said Custom 2408 TCI, I was meaning the Paul's Guitar Pickups.

"Sounds like I did good in getting one before the pickup change." - Yes, that is what I was thinking too - grabbing a 2023 2408 with the 8515's before they disappear. If you look on Reverb now and filter by new guitars, there are a LOT of regular Custom 24's with the 5-Way, and not that many 2408's with the 8515's.

I may have one inbound now. I need another guitar like a hole in the head, but scarcity and FOMO makes you do things! :)

To be clear, when I said Custom 2408 TCI, I was meaning the Paul's Guitar Pickups.

"Sounds like I did good in getting one before the pickup change." - Yes, that is what I was thinking too - grabbing a 2023 2408 with the 8515's before they disappear. If you look on Reverb now and filter by new guitars, there are a LOT of regular Custom 24's with the 5-Way, and not that many 2408's with the 8515's.

I may have one inbound now. I need another guitar like a hole in the head, but scarcity and FOMO makes you do things! :)

I understood what you meant in he distinction on the pickups. I'm working and hanging out on the forum at the same time and probably could have worded that better.

I have no idea how you can afford all the guitars, but please know that I (and many of us) are living vicariously through you!

The TCI/Pauls guitar pickups are awesome for metal. Since they are narrow they have a sort of natural high pass filter which makes the attack very fast and snappy. If you’re in standard tuning it might sound thin. If you drop and/or down tune they feel very tight and satisfying. It’s a bit like using an overdrive in to a high gain amp without the added compression and artifacts.

I have no idea how you can afford all the guitars, but please know that I (and many of us) are living vicariously through you!

I am indeed getting a little carried away, and this last one was unplanned and probably not prudent. But in my defense I felt like I had 3 years to make up for, so I was trying to get caught up, I guess! ;)

Also, my wife is a saint! She knows this is good therapy for me.

Glad you guys are enjoying it - I enjoy sharing it here.

The TCI/Pauls guitar pickups are awesome for metal. Since they are narrow they have a sort of natural high pass filter which makes the attack very fast and snappy. If you’re in standard tuning it might sound thin. If you drop and/or down tune they feel very tight and satisfying. It’s a bit like using an overdrive in to a high gain amp without the added compression and artifacts.

Oh, that is interesting! I will have to try that...

what is the difference between the CU24/08 with this switch/control layout compared to the CU24/08 with a 3way pickup toggle switch and the 2 mini toggles between the tone and volume knobs?
Functionally they are the same, only difference being the switch type and layout. I’m guessing people preferred the 35th anniversary layout so they switched all 24-08s to the 3 way toggle layout.

Ya gotta build up that inventory before you host Chicago Members Tonefest!! :p

Ha-ha! No doubt!

I also just got a new modeler set up last week - I went for the Neural DSP Quad Cortex, I picked that because of the great UI, and particularly because they just came out with new MacOS software that is basically the same UI but bigger on the Mac Screen. Seems pretty intuitive so far!

I feed it into my JD Simo Marshall 4x12 through a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 200 Power Amp pedal, with the Cab Sims turned off. It sounds amazing and is super simple and has eliminated a lot of clutter in the guitar area. (I still have the Metropolous 100W Superplex with the Ox Box for when I want a real tube amp.)

I may still get an FRFR speaker as well, probably one of the Mission Engineering ones.

It will take me a little while to figure it out and build my own presets, but so far I am really digging it.

So I am almost ready! :)

Ha-ha! No doubt!

I also just got a new modeler set up last week - I went for the Neural DSP Quad Cortex, I picked that because of the great UI, and particularly because they just came out with new MacOS software that is basically the same UI but bigger on the Mac Screen. Seems pretty intuitive so far!

I feed it into my JD Simo Marshall 4x12 through a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 200 Power Amp pedal, with the Cab Sims turned off. It sounds amazing and is super simple and has eliminated a lot of clutter in the guitar area. (I still have the Metropolous 100W Superplex with the Ox Box for when I want a real tube amp.)

I may still get an FRFR speaker as well, probably one of the Mission Engineering ones.

It will take me a little while to figure it out and build my own presets, but so far I am really digging it.

So I am almost ready! :)
That set up sounds awesome! Other than the Archon, im putting around with a Kemper Stage and Kemper Powered Kabinet.

I have not tried this. I keep an old CE24 in drop C. I’ll try it on the ME-V.

Back