2024-Updated Core Custom 24-08?

I've got a 22-fret one of these already, in Trampas Green. It's my 408. :p

Those original 408's with the larger Bridge Humbucker were great! I had two of the original Signature 408's, and then later a DC 245 Private Stock with those pickups in it, which was my main gigging guitar for a couple of years.

Darn Autocorrect!! :mad: That was awkward...

Fixed.

I really haven't liked Korina / Black Limba Bodies or Necks.
Yeah, I had let that one go when I read it and laughed out loud! I figured someone would run with it and it would be a lot tamer than what I would write!! All came true as I suspected (including the original cause that I had imagined)!!!

Darn Autocorrect!! :mad: That was awkward...

Fixed.

I really haven't liked Korina / Black Limba Bodies or Necks.
Korina is one that scares me. I have never owned a Korina guitar but I have read posts where people get a guitar made of it and don't like it at all. I tend to like the classic woods. I will never forget the posts from Ronnie about the tele he had Ron build for him. It is Kornia. He never bonded with it. He still had it the last time I asked him. He won't sell it because Ron did him a solid on it and built is special for him.

When I was looking for a PRS Studio late last year I found some I really liked the look of but they were wood library guitars that had Korina backs and necks. I just can't roll the dice on something at that price point to end up not liking it. I really like the mahogany body and neck with the maple cap and rosewood fretboard. That is a winning combination for me all day long.

It is difficult to get people to describe the difference in tone between mahogany and korina. I have heard softer mids and attack. Those aren't really something I am looking for. It is much easier for me to tame a brighter guitar with a lot of mids than it is to try to pump those up if you are not fitting in a mix. I am also someone that played a tele a lot in some of the bands I have been in so I prefer things to be brighter.

Korina is one that scares me. I have never owned a Korina guitar but I have read posts where people get a guitar made of it and don't like it at all. I tend to like the classic woods. I will never forget the posts from Ronnie about the tele he had Ron build for him. It is Kornia. He never bonded with it. He still had it the last time I asked him. He won't sell it because Ron did him a solid on it and built is special for him.

When I was looking for a PRS Studio late last year I found some I really liked the look of but they were wood library guitars that had Korina backs and necks. I just can't roll the dice on something at that price point to end up not liking it. I really like the mahogany body and neck with the maple cap and rosewood fretboard. That is a winning combination for me all day long.

It is difficult to get people to describe the difference in tone between mahogany and korina. I have heard softer mids and attack. Those aren't really something I am looking for. It is much easier for me to tame a brighter guitar with a lot of mids than it is to try to pump those up if you are not fitting in a mix. I am also someone that played a tele a lot in some of the bands I have been in so I prefer things to be brighter.

Ask Sergio, he has a KL33 and I’m pretty sure Bodia has or had one. They’ll keep you right.

I have a Semi-Hollow non PRS with a Limba back (white Korina) and it’s great.

Ask Sergio, he has a KL33 and I’m pretty sure Bodia has or had one. They’ll keep you right.

I have a Semi-Hollow non PRS with a Limba back (white Korina) and it’s great.

Yes, I don't mean to say that I don't think Korina guitars sound good. (Had to add that to my computer dictionary to avoid an Autocorrect!) I have heard many that sound great. It is just that for me in my personal collection I tend to not keep them too long, my brain is too wired to that traditional wood combination tone.

But do I really keep anything for a long time? I mean to, but it usually doesn't seem to work out that way. I did keep the Jade Glow DC 245 from 2012 to 2017, until the 594 scale killed the 245 scale love for me. 5 years, that is a record for me since the first PRS, the 2001 Tremonti that I kept for 7 years. :)

Back to this new Custom 24 TCI model, it looks like the Blue one originally posted is sold. PSA: Willcutt Guitars has one in Whale Blue, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be listed on Reverb. Eric at Willcutt Guitars played it for me to check it out, he said is was pretty good.

Willcutt Guitars Custom 24 TCI

I kind of like the "new" Tuner Knobs - at least on the Custom 24.

YUHxsKP.jpg

Whoops!

:)

Yes, I don't mean to say that I don't think Korina guitars sound good. (Had to add that to my computer dictionary to avoid an Autocorrect!) I have heard many that sound great. It is just that for me in my personal collection I tend to not keep them too long, my brain is too wired to that traditional wood combination tone.

But do I really keep anything for a long time? I mean to, but it usually doesn't seem to work out that way. I did keep the Jade Glow DC 245 from 2012 to 2017, until the 594 scale killed the 245 scale love for me. 5 years, that is a record for me since the first PRS, the 2001 Tremonti that I kept for 7 years. :)

Back to this new Custom 24 TCI model, it looks like the Blue one originally posted is sold. PSA: Willcutt Guitars has one in Whale Blue, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be listed on Reverb. Eric at Willcutt Guitars played it for me to check it out, he said is was pretty good.

Willcutt Guitars Custom 24 TCI

I kind of like the "new" Tuner Knobs - at least on the Custom 24.
Hmmm....page not found....that have anything to do with the blue Cu24 you just posted?????

Guitar Looks Great But I Am Not A Fan Of Those Odd Shaped Pickups, Mini Toggles And I Am Real Iffy On The Tuner Buttons As Well. I Am Not So Sure Those Pickups Can Handle The Brutulz. I Could Be Wrong But The Pickup Shape Makes Me Pause Because I Have No Alternatives for Replacements. Also, If It Has A Thin Neck I Am Out. Looks Cool Though!

Well, tell us more. How are the pickups? Are they new to the model? Is anything new, otherwise?

I will post a review when I get a chance, after I get some more time with it.

Initial impressions are that I do like it, for what I thought it would be and what I wanted it to be within my collection, with my many preferences and idiosyncrasies, as detailed above. :)

Guitar Looks Great But I Am Not A Fan Of Those Odd Shaped Pickups, Mini Toggles And I Am Real Iffy On The Tuner Buttons As Well. I Am Not So Sure Those Pickups Can Handle The Brutulz. I Could Be Wrong But The Pickup Shape Makes Me Pause Because I Have No Alternatives for Replacements. Also, If It Has A Thin Neck I Am Out. Looks Cool Though!

Thanks!

Yes, Pattern Thin Neck.

I got used to the Mini-Toggles with my DC 245 Private Stock with 408 Signature Pickups and Switching that was my primary gigging guitar for a couple of years. I really liked them, very easy to tell at a quick glance where they are set to, and to change on the fly, I thought.

I didn't like the Tuner Knobs at all at first either. In person, I really like them. Especially on a Custom 24, I think it really suits the slimmer vibe of the guitar.

Yes, having pickups with a proprietary shape is indeed limiting, with regards to not being able to swap them. But I did want to have one guitar to experience and learn more about the Paul's Guitar pickups, and I am glad now that the Custom 24 is an option for that. I think the pickups are a good match for the Custom 24 Model. Now three great choices, Paul's Guitar, Modern Eagle V, and now the Custom 2408.

More thoughts to come soon.

Back